1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sick Bottles of Fantome Noel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bennetj17, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I'm looking for advice about the Fantome Noel. I bought one the other day and when a buddy and I tried it it poured out like slime. It smelled a bit funky and we tasted it but couldn't really drink it because of the goo. It was interesting and smokey though. I've read about the beer getting sick and clearing up later so I bought another bottle which looks the same and I'm wondering how long I need to age it?

brureview likes this.
  2. that's the 'shampoo' fantome.

I'm actually curious as to what happens if you use it to wash your hair.

devlishdamsel, Esper1, Roguer and 5 others like this.
  3. The first bottle was undrinkable so you bought another?:confused:

4. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

When Fantome is good, it is very very good but when it is bad...

5. i have some magic beans for sale/trade

mychalg9, Roguer, sandman3479 and 5 others like this.
  6. Not the worst idea with Fantome, if you have the $ to drop.

I had one of these about a month ago. It had a thick layer of slime on the bottom, but it had been sitting up for month and was completely settled. I managed to pour it out without an issue and save the last 4oz or so of slime.

The beer had no problems with the flavors. It wasn't my favorite Fantome of all time, but that is preference. There was a flavor that mixed with the funk that I can really only describe as cinnamon-like.

Noel is also like 10%. There's nothing in the bottle that will make you sick. Just give it several days to settle and it should clear up. Or it won't. Drink it up. Support Dany.

Mandark likes this.
  7. bennetj17

If it doesn't clear up oh well I tried. Just trying to figure out the optimal time to wait to find out.

8. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (265) Texas Dec 2, 2006

I had a Fantome Saison about a month ago that was a thick, slimy mess. It was seriously pouring out like mucus/jelly/shampoo all the way through the bottle. What the hell could cause that?

9. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Fantome is consistently inconsistent.

KevSal, rauchfest, aasher and 14 others like this.
  10. I had a Fantome Hiver this year and had the same experience. It was my first bottle of Fantome. Supposedly, the Fantome Saison ( no extra winter, Noel...) is quite good.

The nose and taste were funky, and the beer difficult to pour. Quite a disappointment.

11. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

One of the most interesting beer experiences I ever had was with Fantome Brise-BonBons. I went to this awesome Italian grocery store and deli called Groppis in MKE. They had just gotten a Bunch of Fantome so they had this guy giving out samples and I noticed he had a glass he was drinking and the bottle of Brise off to the side I asked him what it was he explained and admitted he opened the bottle for himself due to it being particularly delicious. I asked him for a sample he obliged me and my friend and boy was it good the best Saison I've ever had (one of the first I'd had too and I was in love)

later I asked him for a little more and he opened one of the other bottles due to his being empty poured some more. Something was wrong this time though it tasted like a totally different beer. I asked if he opened the wrong bottle he checked the label, same label. Asked about the temp he said they're all the same he was pulling them out of the fridge and they sit on ice after they are opened. so I told him to taste it because it's definitely not the same beer. He poured a taste and I wish I had a pic of the confusion on this mans face because it's honestly hard to describe how much different this other bottle was than the previous one.

So he opened another one and guess what? a third totally unique tasting beer with the same label. We where all confused at this point and our theory the labels got mixed up went out the window. I bought one before I left in the hopes that it would be like the first one I tried. Get home open the bottle and not even close not a single one tasted like the same beer out of four separate bottles!!!! lol we chilled it, let it warm up everything I could think of but to no avail. I'm always tempted to by it when I see that beer but the price and the fact that not a single one that I've had tasted like any of the others keeps me away.

headyhopzhead likes this.
  12. I just got a Hiver in the mail, and it looks like it is just a bottle of the dregs from the bottom of my homebrew carboys. I am going to let it sit for a WHILE. But to echo the sentiments on here....Phantome can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of one bottle.

13. Crack1Open and ItsLaTrappe like this.
  14. Pedio slime eventually clears right? I remember reading somewhere that lambic typically goes through a stage of fermentation where the beer is "sick" and it gets all ropy from pedio, but that it clears after a certain amount of time.

Ask the homebrew forum, they would probably know.

15. One of the best saisons i have ever had was Fantome and one of the worst saison i have ever had was Fantome

16. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

They bottled their run-off?

17. Yes that is true, but you need Brett to clean up the Diacetyl the Pedio produces. Don't know if Dany has Brett in this one, but probably.

bennetj17 likes this.
  18. The homebrew article I posted claims that the specific strains of pedio that form the slime don't produce diacetyl.

Once again, the homebrew forum might know better.

19. Waiting for Dany to respond!

20. I have been homebrewing for >20 years, and making sours for >10 years, and am still learning. First I have heard that, but Ashton Lewis knows his stuff.

21. Anyone homebrewing sours must read this. This Mr Wizard article is literally the only good describer of "ropiness" on the internet. I've gotten ropey ciders using brett and dreggs and didn't know why until hours of google led me to that same article. Props on posting it. I've since gotten ropey beer from Fantome (Dalmatienne) and 3 Fonteneine (Geueze). It is instantly recocnizable when it's poured, the head doesn't produce and the pour is wider out of the bottle. Worst infection in homebrew. FWIW, my ropey ciders are over 6 months old and are still thick. Good luck rolling that dice on those beers!

22. I did some more poking around google and found this powerpoint by Vinnie Cilurzo on brewing sour beer. It mentions that the beer can go through more than one sick phase during fermentation.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...=dubO0LwVsT8W3Po1VewCOg&bvm=bv.44442042,d.aWc

GregoryMo likes this.
  23. Saw him present that at an NHC.That is where he said you need Brett with Pedio, that stuck with me. He said his sour beers get sick.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  24. So much for google, you know it all already. ;)

Wish I had the space to homebrew - hopefully in about a year I'll be able to start it as a hobby, but for now I can only read books and articles to learn about beer. Bet it gives you a whole different perspective when you actually make it.

25. What others have said. I have had some seriously amazing fantomes and a few totally worth forgetting.

26. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

I have only had fantome once and it effing sucked. I am damn sure I had a bad bottle.

27. TTAmod

TTAmod Savant (315) Illinois Oct 4, 2008

A bad bottle of a Fantome beer? Look at my surprised face *completely unsurprised face*

Fantome has horrible quality control....they're either amazing or garbage juice.

28. hahha and here i thought they had come out with an amazing design as i feel like their artwork is awesome. Casper the friendly ghost.. the beer !

29. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I will still buy Fantome Saison anytime I see it on the shelf.

30. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Let me know when you see the regular Saison on the shelf in Illinois--Noel and Hiver are all over but the last time I saw the original was just north of Milwaukee last year.

31. My only "bad" Fantome experience was a bottle of Magic Ghost which wasn't radioactive green. It was still excellent and their logo is the best in Craft Beer so I quickly got over it.

32. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

The way you explain your post, it sounds like the entire bottle was like sludge. If that was the case, this is an issue. If there was just a thin layer of sludge/sediment at the bottom that happens to fall in the glass, use something called a "Strainer" as you're pouring. It's in most kitchens. If you get creative, don't try a coffee filter, it doesn't work... I found out the hard way.

33. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I thought Pissenlit was :confused: My 2011 was full on syrup.

34. bennetj17

I wouldn't describe it as sludge, it was as if the entire beer was in a very viscous state. It wasn't like there were chunks of sediment or anything. It was like the whole thing was semi-gelatinized. Based on what I've read and what people have posted I do think it is a pedio infection and if I'm fortunate enough there is Brett in the bottle too, perhaps it will clear up. I'm guessing it will take 18 to 24 months of patient waiting to find out.

35. I feel very fortunate that the 4 bottles of Fantome I've purchased in my life were all good.

I actually enjoyed a bottle of Noel yesterday with Easter dinner. Yummerz.

Mandark likes this.
  36. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I had bottle of Magic Ghost that was yellow and faintly green and amazing. I had another that was as green as a ninja turtle and tasted literally like fresh motor oil. Bleh.

And several inbetween.

37. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Yeah, I've had 10 or 15 and they've all tasted as I imagine Dany intended, meaning no off or "sick" flavors. There's been a couple that weren't exactly my bag, but nothing I'd drainpour, and more often than not they have been stellar imaginings of the brewer's art.

Always an exciting gamble, Fantome.

38. danybrew

danybrew Aficionado (215) Belgium Feb 8, 2010

wel ..it's not so a Big problem. only reaction between yeast and ingredients .. so . do't worry .. it's arriving sometimes.. with the Ft Pissenlit beer too.. but stilling very good taste ;-) just exchange if you want ...

39. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (265) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Reference from a bottle of Fantome Saison we opened at a tasting yesterday:

The entire bottle was like that, all the way through.

40. That's...heinous...