1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sick Bottles of Fantome Noel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bennetj17, Mar 8, 2013.

1. misterid

misterid Member

does the foam-like effect go away?
  2. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Member

i can't easily exchange something I bought an 8-hour car ride away. My state (TX) doesn't get Fantome distribution. So while to you it might not be a big deal, me paying $17 for a bottle full of undrinkable slime seems like a pretty big deal to me.
  3. bramsdell

bramsdell Member

Did a bottle of Pissenlit touch you as a child? Maybe assaulted your significant other? Settle down, bruh.

It's everyone's choice if they want to roll the dice. Next time I see someone getting beaten over the head with a bottle of Hiver in a bottle shop, I'll know who the culprit is.
  4. od_sf

od_sf Member

That's A-OK, because, according to Dany "stilling very good taste"...
    arniepnminne and BrettHead like this.
  5. jmmy3

jmmy3 Member

Best of luck to anyone who can create inconsistent product yet still drive enough hype to get fanboys to buy it. When the hell did it become acceptable for beer to become a roll of the dice? People wouldn't give a damn about Heady or Pliny if it was only good half the time. That's a joke and anyone who defends it is setting a dangerous precedent for these businesses in the future.
  6. jdamaso84

jdamaso84 Member

I have probably had 20-30 bottles of Fantome in my life and I would have only minor complains about three of them. One of the "Boo" bottles I opened had that now infamous "smoky" taste, one bottle of the regular Saisons tasted very, very orange-juicy and left me with no buzz at all, and one Printemps had a slight, almost "band aidish" taste to it.

Every single other bottle, probably 10 Saisons, a few Hiver/Printemps, Chocolat, Magic Ghost, Boo, Pissenlit, Sour, Noel and Dark White were all perfect. In fact, as I've said before, most of the Saison bottles and the Magic Ghost I had may have been the best beers I've ever tasted.

I don't know if I've just been lucky to not run into any sludge bottles OR if this is a problem, but not as widespread as people act like it is. I think it's the latter...there are some bad bottles out there, but I would bet overall it's 5% of the available supply.

That all said, I do agree that for the price it's not fair for even 5% to be an acceptable number.
  7. od_sf

od_sf Member

You've either been lucky, or I've been very unlucky. Three of the last six or seven I've bought were drainpours. Different issues with different beers too. The diacetyl off-flavors in one were so bad I almost gagged. diacetyl in one, terrible DMS in one, and modly off-flavors in the third. Done with Fantome.
    jmmy3 likes this.
  8. LAD

LAD Member

Repeat after me as you dispose of a gross, overpriced product: "Stellar imaginings of the brewer's art." Its supposed to be craft beer, not crap beer.
    arniepnminne and jmmy3 like this.
  9. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Member

3/30 is 10% no? ;)
  10. jdamaso84

jdamaso84 Member

Touche salesman
  11. danybrew

danybrew Member

OOh oh !!! not too much excitation about, !!! :( yes it was a technical problem with the mixer .. and some smoking taste was coming ... .. yes too, i have had some yeast problems ....

the last problem is this ... when it's arriving here ... ( not so much time ..really ! ..) i take out these bottles from the brew .. but yo are far !! and so, after possible some monthes .. it's arriving .. so what can i do ..i'm not on place !! be sure i very very! take more time to have good beers .. Craft , not crap like LAD say !..o_O sorry for all this ...:oops:
  12. danybrew

danybrew Member

.. no it was just a few Humor, John !! .. :cool: i know very well it's not the case .. but .. also .. it's not very sympathical for me to get all this " Famous ! History" on a so "big People web site" .. .. are we all so perfect in this world ?... only a simple message in private .. and my reaction would be the same !!( ps: sorry for my Humble Poor English !! ) ;)
  13. danybrew

danybrew Member

.. some Brand Good News from ( Possibly !) ..others "Good" (well, .. not so good, but drinkable !..) Ft beers there ?.. :)
  14. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Member

LYMI.

Keep up the good work Dany!
    danybrew likes this.
  15. biga7346

biga7346 Member

I was wondering when Dany would show up :)
    danybrew likes this.
  16. geocool

geocool Member

It sounds like he's saying he has had some problems that he knows about (smoke taste from the mixer, yeast that pooped out) and he has recalled those bottles from the home market, but he has no ability to recall bottles shipped to the US. If so that kinda sucks.
    danybrew, beerme411 and MinorThreat like this.
  17. misterid

misterid Member

some of you are really angry people. open the doors, it's summer. get some fresh air. maybe even take a beer along to enjoy at your local park or something.

the owners and operators of

Brewer's Art
    Stillwater Artisanal Ales
    Rock Art
    Craftsman Brewing
    Perennial Artisan Ales
    Crooked Stave
    Jolly Pumpkin

among others, might take exception to you saying brewing and beer are not "art". hell, it's right there in the name. though they're probably just idiots for thinking of their craft as art so their opinions probably don't matter.

NERRRRRRRRDRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGE!
    danybrew likes this.
  18. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

http://www.bing.com/translator/
    danybrew likes this.
  19. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Member

I just tried Noel for the first time and while it wasn't my thing and was a bit funky, I'm glad I didn't drop that cash on a bottle of shampoo like in that video. Ugh!
    danybrew likes this.
  20. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

Miller is the champagne of beers. It says so right on the label. o_O

Brewing is an Art that should be replicated by Science.
    danybrew likes this.
  21. od_sf

od_sf Member

My name is not John? I'm a fellow Walloon, you can send me a private message in French because I can't understand any of this, sorry.
    danybrew and JxExM like this.
  22. elNopalero

elNopalero Member

Please let us know what you hear!

I'm definitely in the Fantome fanboy camp--although I've only had a few bottles and never experienced any off/bad/quality control issues I've read and heard enough through the rumor mill to know I can never be quite sure what to expect when I plunk my $15-20 down for a bottle. As the best of Fantome ranks among the "beers that blew my mind" it won't stop me. But I will think twice.
    danybrew likes this.
  23. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Member

On a slightly different note, I see elNopalero said he pays 15 to 20 dollars per bottle, is that a typical price range for Fantome in the US? Just curious.

I usually pick mine up for between 7.50 and 8.50 a bottle(euros of course.)
    danybrew likes this.
  24. danybrew

danybrew Member

right Geo! tx !
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  25. danybrew

danybrew Member

Ok OK ! ;-)
  26. misterid

misterid Member

look, i'll put up with a lot but i WILL NOT stand by while you bad mouth High Life. not on my watch.
  27. elNopalero

elNopalero Member

Jealous! €7.50 is approximately $10, which would definitely fit my budget!

As with most imports there's a bit of a surcharge from shipping and whatnot. Lowest priced Fantome bottles I've seen out here (SF Bay Area) are at Berkeley Bowl, $14.95 if I recall correctly. Typically I'll see them for $16-18 when they hit the shelves.
  28. LAD

LAD Member

Dear Bennetj;
    Thank you for buying our slimy,overpriced product. Just as a blind pig eventually finds an acorn, we are confident that eventually you'll find one of our beers that will be least semi drinkable.
    As for how long that slime bottle must age before it reaches its peak of perfection...keep monitoring that bottle. It will probably be ready for consumption when hell freezes over.
    Meanwhile, please continue to give us rave reviews in your rating system. After all, we didn't "intend" to foist so much garbage on the public. Did we? Our intent is to ship beer that people can actually injest. But as you know shit happens.
    As a token of our depreciation we are sending you a T shirt from our Fantome shit hits the Fan Club. Please wear it proudly as a symbol of your unbridled optimism and cast iron stomach.

Yours turdly,
    Ralf Barfalotsis (QC Mgr)
    danybrew and Chaz like this.