1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Side-by-side fresh Pliny vs. Zombie Dust

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gueuzedreg, Apr 8, 2013.

1. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Member

Currently doing, and twice overall; and I raise the hand of ZD both times. Though it went 12 rounds. I know I don't have the 100% correct answer, what do you think?

(getting Heady in a few days; I can't wait to do all three)
    JohnnyMc and deadonhisfeet like this.
  2. Nectar

Nectar Member

Seems you like Zombie Dust more than Pliny. Some people like Pliny more than Zombie Dust.

Both excellent brews that come down to the individuals palate. I had ZD and loved it. No pliny yet though :(
    tronester, mikeburd1128 and SStein like this.
  3. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

What do I think...Hmmm, I don't think they're really all that much alike.

I've done that side by side, rather it was a zombie dust, then opened a PtE right after. I did this with my brother and my father in law. Taste is subjective, but for my preference, and the others, PtE was by far the better beer.

Cheers! Enjoy those Headys. Here's subjective for ya....I'd take both Zombie Dust and Pliny over Heady! Ohhhhh SNAP!
    Dagsy, Casedogg43, JonnyBeers and 3 others like this.
  4. Shagator

Shagator Member

Have not had either at the same time, but I have head dreadnaught and PtE in the same night. The Pliny was new but it did fly across country, so I dont want to say I have had fresh Pliny, but Dreadnaught blew it out of the water. PtE did not impress me as much as I had hoped. hoping to to have it again soon. With that being said, I would rank Dreadnaught, Rye Da Tiger, Zombie Dust, Stones Enjoy by, TIPA, Ruination 10th anniversary, and a few more ahead of PtE. Dont get me wrong, it is a great beer, but for the hype I was expecting so much more.
    Revenant likes this.
  5. --Dom--

--Dom-- Member

different styles.......
  6. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Member

I think Flex was better than Ronnie, but both were better than Cormier.
  7. nc41

nc41 Member

Completely different animals, both great. Fresh ZD is amazing though.
    APB likes this.
  8. APB

APB Member

I would have to agree that they are completely different, I had fresh Pliny and ZD this past week and I have to say if I could only have one I would take the ZD but they are almost incomparable. Pliny seems to have less of a bite to it then zd and I know some of you will dog me for saying this but I put both the Pliny and ZD over Heady, I really enjoyed the HT I just favored the Pliny and ZD over it. I think there is a lot of hype surrounding the HT because it's not available to everyone so most people (including myself) have to trade for it and are only able to get small amounts to sample. Just my 2 cents :)
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  9. BlakeAM

BlakeAM Member

the more I see these types of comparisons the more I become convinced that it depends on how fresh each beer is. I've yet to see someone from California rank one of that states' signature beers behind a midwest or east coast brew, and the same holds true for those regions. Two of the exceptions seem to be Enjoy By and Sucks, but both of those beers have distribution power that allows for relative freshness across the country.

Of the three beers being mentioned here I've only had Zombie Dust, but I've had it incredibly fresh and it's pretty amazing. Same goes for Hopslam, anything after 3-4 weeks is basically a different beer.
    highdesertdrinker, APB and gueuzedreg like this.
  10. beercanman

beercanman Member

I'd give the nod to ZD. Completely different styles though
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Pliny doesn't even remotely taste like Zombie Dust and neither tastes remotely like Heady. For me it's Heady > Zombie Dust > Pliny as a distant third
    deadonhisfeet and frankthetank86 like this.
  12. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

The tastes are different so it goes by personal flavor not true comparison....

sooo..... Zombie Dust..Pliny < SUCKS! I said it!
  13. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Member

Pliny > ZD..........but i dont think ive had ZD at its optimal freshness. Got some coming soon so i will see!
    RWNay likes this.
  14. beerhan

beerhan Member

What you should be doing is Zombie Dust vs. Oddside Ales Citra Pale Ale. Oddsides is the clear victor in my opinion and worth seeking out for any Zombie Dust fan.
  15. draheim

draheim Member

I have no idea what you're talking about but I get your point anyway.
    hopsbreath likes this.
  16. badbeer

badbeer Member

Not a lot of bodybuilding references on here.
    hopsbreath likes this.
  17. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

People keep saying these are different styles but I can justify the comparison (in my mind at least. Everyone else is entitled to their dissenting opinion):

Zombie Dust is a pale ale that I think is hoppy enough to be an IPA. By far my favorite APA and better than many IPAs I've had.
    Pliny The Elder is an imperial/DIPA that I found too "small" and consider it more like an IPA. If I put PtE against most IPAs, it's awesome but for my tastes it can't hold a candle to my favorites like Dreadnaught, Heady Topper, Double Jack or many others.

The mere fact that ZD (an APA) is getting so many votes over PtE ( a DIPA) seems to indicate Pliny isn't "all that".

That said, if any CA folk want to trade a fresh PtE to prove me wrong I'm happy to try it again. I'd love to find a DIPA that is even better than my current favs...
    Revenant likes this.
  18. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Member

I did the Pliny the Elder vs. Heady Topper on Easter and it was phenomenal - both beers are world class and delicious but I would have to tip my hand to Heady (both beers were bottled/canned 3 weeks prior to the tasting so still pretty darn fresh).
  19. jacewg

jacewg Member

Different styles and hop profiles.

Pliny has the classic Amarillo/Simcoe thing going on. Zombie Dust is a big Citra bomb. Both are outstanding, but at 6.4% and 8%, they're not the easiest to compare.
  20. theCoder

theCoder Member

I got to try both of these for the first time at Darkness Day and absolutely loved both. But picking one over the other... really its to one's own preference as they are fairly different all around, I liked Pliny a bit more but that could be due to me now finding out I can get it a bit easier with friend's in Berkeley.
    Revenant likes this.
  21. frankthetank86

frankthetank86 Member

i've had all three beers fresh as can be. that being said it doesnt make sense to compare these beers. one is a apa the others dipas. heady topper should be in a class by itself. it doesnt drink like any other beer that ive tried. but ill play. for me its a tie between heady and zombie dust. enjoy heady topper
  22. youngac

youngac Member

I don't think it's worth figuring out. ;)
    craigo19 likes this.
  23. BrettHead

BrettHead Member

Side-by-side: apples vs. oranges
  24. Synergy87

Synergy87 Member

Something interesting would be to add in Heady like you plan on doing. I am doing the Heady vs Pliny on Thursday when it comes in, thanks to mtk180. One thing I've noticed about Heady Topper is that when I got it 5 days from the cannery, it was much more aromatic and tasty compared to 11 days old. I know people probably think thats too short of a time for any of the hops to fall off, but im telling you the aroma was much more subtle and the flavors were slightly muted, but still a fantastic beer. I think these unfiltered, unpasteurized beers really do change quickly. If you can get 7 day old heady next to 7 day old pliny and 7 day old ZD, it'd be a more fair compare, even if ZD isn't imperial lol
  25. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

Every time I see that picture of Markie Mark, I laugh.
  26. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Why thank you.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  27. Rinkor16

Rinkor16 Member

That's like comparing a Grapefruit to an Orange. They're within the same family, but completely different.

Pliny > Zombie Dust
  28. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Member

^ This! Stop comparing different styles! Guinness vs BCBS I don't know I have to give the edge to BCBS ;)
    seeswo likes this.
  29. willbm3

willbm3 Member

I dunno man, they both pour black. Guinness in a landslide.
    Revenant, BrettHead and kawilliams81 like this.
  30. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

[The mere fact that ZD (an APA) is getting so many votes over PtE ( a DIPA) seems to indicate Pliny isn't "all that".[/quote]

Based on a few random responses & we're not even onto page 2, here's a guy who knows his stuff! ;-P
    draheim likes this.
  31. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

Flex never realized his full potential.
  32. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Member

Based on a few random responses & we're not even onto page 2, here's a guy who knows his stuff! ;-P[/quote]
    That's where I was going with this. If you have fresh both, I am surprised that I liked ZD over Pliny; given PtE's rep. (not saying ZD doesn't have one). Nothing about comparing apples to apples
  33. mattsander

mattsander Member

Pizza > Music IMO
    seeswo likes this.
  34. Highbrow

Highbrow Member

i'm glad somebody finally compared these two.:rolleyes:
    fernz18 and stayclean like this.
  35. bullywee

bullywee Member

Apples and oranges! If ranking to BJCP guidelines. But if by personal taste, that's your personal taste.
  36. JayAre46

JayAre46 Member

I cannot believe you are comparing two astronomically different drinks! How dare you. Jesus Christ this is so apples and oranges! This site is only for palates and opinions of gods don't you know?

to answer your question, my personal palate and mind prefer z dust ;) - advocate of conversation and question
    lic217 likes this.
  37. stealth

stealth Member

I love these insightful threads! Wish more of these were posted.
  38. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

do them vs union jack blind
  39. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Member

it is for palates of people who got made fun of in grade school. i agree, i would rather have zd too
  40. MastaShonuf

MastaShonuf Member

Literally just had these three. They are truly different monsters. Seeing they are all different styles, here is how I have enjoyed them:
    1. Heady - I truly love this stuff and have traded to get more and more
    2. Pliny - Once again, I get this easily so I have had it much more
    3. Zombie Dust - It was just different in taste. Maybe after a few more, I may change my mind.

I have Hopslam, Hopzilla, Jai Alai, and a few Hill Farmsteads coming to compare...so let's see what happens