1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Side Project Brewing, St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by JRorie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

1up and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  2. jschonert

jschonert Savant (330) Missouri Apr 4, 2011

Shhhhhhhh...

Homershags likes this.
  3. Damnit Jason!

Homershags likes this.
  4. Would someone please BM me regarding this project. Thanks!

5. does this even midwest?

6. jschonert

jschonert Savant (330) Missouri Apr 4, 2011

No, it's nothing. It's a terrible joke. Nothing to see here....move along....

7. pre trade ISO 5x DDG or 2x ANN. Did I do that rite?

minnesotaryan likes this.
  8. SideProject Brewing has had their first three labels approved and their release is set for Sept. 28th. Get the details here. http://sideprojectbrewing.com/

9. Sounds like the next time I go to Wichita I might have to fly into St. Louis and drive.

10. I hate to be this guy...but as an out of towner who just read the press release...ISO!

BM me if you'll by chance have any to spare, the 'Origin' and Brett descriptions made me happy in the pants area. Also, I'm really good about returning favors.

11. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Let's just hope the Great Lakes region doesn't see this

12. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peppering my angus.

13. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (455) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

I'm moving to St. Louis the 20th of September and the first release will definitely going to be on my list of things to do. I could bring some CCB goodness out if a bottle share happens.

14. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

Too late ;)

15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Argh, I'm in a wedding the 28th!

16. Msulax4

Msulax4 Zealot (85) Missouri Feb 19, 2013

No, it's nothing. It's a terrible joke. Nothing to see here....move along....

Exactly!

17. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Wonder how long it takes for these to become insta-whales. As far as I've heard so far these batches are intentionally being kept smaller than necessary.

18. Intentionally? How so? The brewer started his own gypsy company on his own dime, I don't think he can go straight to having 1000 bottle count releases

beerepiphany, FTowne and Gonzoillini like this.
  19. But I believe Cory also specified he wanted it to be small batches, and 100% barrel aged. I'd think he can only do so much on the side while still being a major part of perennial

20. Catchy_Name

If we're talking bombers, you could churn out 1,000 bottles on a small system (<10 bbl system). If we're talking small bottles, you could do it on an even smaller system than that. And aren't they using Perrenial's system to brew on? I'm not sure how big theirs is.

Plus I remember reading somewhere recently that the guy running Side Project said that he intended to keep all of his releases really small. Just seems go along with what a lot of breweries are doing. Small batch must automatically mean most sought after beer on the market. I read that Toppling Goliath brews on a 10 bbl system which would mean they could've made 3,000+ bottles of Mornin' Delight, but somehow only 300 were sold. And now it's magically one of the most sought after insta whales on the trade market.

21. Yes he is using their system. that system can produce alot
    Of beer. there is only so much room to store barrels there and only so much time in the day. Pretty sure he spends alot of time there brewing for perennial and then taking care of his own beers.

22. Also I imagine it is a lot easier to control the quality of the beers when doing smaller batches, especially when you are the only person involved

23. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

You understand that not every ounce went into bottles, right? There have been kegs of mornin delight at lots of events lately.

24. evilcatfish

Lets also keep in mind that for the time being Cory is brewing his beers at Perennial and is still head brewer there. His majority of time is focused on Perennial, not SP. Not that the owners would care (they are awesome), but I personally wouldn't feel right taking up half their barrel room for my beers not under the Perennial name.

I believe these may be factors in batch size

25. Catchy_Name

I understand that. But even if there were only 300 bottles (which I doubt, the brewer almost certainly kept some behind), and there were no loss in the packaging process (almost impossible), here's how it would shake out:

With the remaining beer you could fill 47-48 5.2 gallon kegs, 21 13.2 gallon kegs, or 18 half barrel kegs.

This almost further proves my point, with batches that small, none of this beer should've seen bottles. And it is my belief that it did to create this "ultra-limited, gotta have insta-whale" lore around this beer. My bet is it was intentional. These brewers pay close attention to these forums, they're not stupid. I'm not saying its bad beer by any means, but the fact that there are only 300 bottles certainly hasn't hurt it's rating.

26. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (220) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

I probably shouldn't even post, but the making of MD does not allow for 10 bbls to be made on our 10 bbl brewhouse. It's actually less than half of that that is able to be packaged. By the time you fill up a bourbon barrel (for the barrel aged version), 53 gallons of that is gone, then bottle up the few hundred bottles we did and put the rest in kegs that are released throughout the year for special things... it disappears pretty quickly.

27. dasmusik

dasmusik Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 25, 2011

You can't seriously be saying that TG crew made a business decision to intentionally refuse to brew 2,700 bottles of MD that it could have sold easily at $10 a pop, and instead decided to impress a bunch of nerds sitting behind their computer screens and any perceived "trade value" by brewing only 300? Dude, TG could produce 3,000 bottles of MD a WEEK and there would still be demand for it. JFC. And as Mike just said, where do you think Kentucky Brunch comes from?

I'm going to pretend you know what you are talking about and instead chalk these up as epic troll posts. Well done. Slow clap.

BrettHead and Erdinger2003 like this.
  28. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

You sure seem to know for a fact they keep it limited just to make it a rare whale, huh? Have you ever thought that it a very expensive beer for them to make? Also, I'm fairly certain it is intended to be a seasonal release. This was the first release of the beer to bottles. They also kegged some to serve on draft in the taproom and at festivals and other special events. They didn't make much of it their first go round. They have already said they will be brewing more for the next release of it. What about any of that means they only make the beer with the intent to keep it rare? You just come off sounding like a cry baby who is upset he didn't get a bottle and is pissed because in order to get one, you currently have to trade the world for it. Guess what...myself and thousands of other Iowans/Midwesterners didn't get to try it either. Hopefully we will be able to with the next release. Until then...get over it and quit making crazy assumptions about Toppling Goliath.

Also....sorry to contribute to the derailing of this thread. Back on topic, I'm stoked to hear of this new brewery. Sounds awesome and hope to get to try some of the beers sooner than later!

BrettHead likes this.
  29. evilcatfish

I wish we had stayed on the original subject: Side Project

30. coryking

coryking Savant (250) Missouri Sep 21, 2008

Debating on whether or not I should reply to this ;).

bld81, rebelmusic, ACESFULL and 4 others like this.
  31. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Replying late at night is never a bad idea.

32. Catchy_Name

I'm not in anyway upset I didn't get any. I believe I posted an ISO on it before I ever knew how hard it would be to obtain. I'm not the type to get mad if I don't get to try a beer. And yeah to be honest, it was pretty easy to assume that it was intentionally kept smaller than necessary. That's why in the post you quoted I asked what other reasons there were. It was a legitimate question since the brewer who responded simply said he couldn't make more but failed to say why. It's his business to say or not to, but if he doesn't, he has to understand why some may assume one way or the other. You're the first person to mention cost of production possibly being prohibitive.

And this is my opinion but if the yield was that small, it shouldn't have seen bottles at all. It should've been an on tap release at the brewery only. TG obviously didn't see it that way and that's fine, it's his business to run. Unless you're friends with the guy personally or have the inside track on his business plan, you can't assume it has nothing to do with intentionally making a beer more hard to get more than I can assume it has a lot to do with that.

33. The problem with Ultra beer nerds is "they" don't like small batches because they might never get to tick it. They get upset and troll around forums and bash small breweries for not having millions of dollars to sink into a huge warehouse and brewery. Brewers like Cory don't have millions of dollars and employees that it takes to make huge amounts of bottles for the whole world to drink. You also have to remember this is a "side project". Im not saying Cory doesn't want to one day have his own brewery where he can pump out thousands of barrels of each beer but as for now I'm assuming he doesn't want that. This of course is my own opinion and maybe i'm completely wrong....

I have talked to both Cory and Mike (toppling G) and i get the impression they are wanting Quality over Quantity as of right now. Actually TG is expanding pretty quick if you read their twitter page. They are wanting to keep up with demand. However, i don't believe they will ever put quantity over quality. Mike takes a lot of pride in his work with his beer from TG. (yes they are worth the hype :) )

Fact is, these two brewers IMO are the most down to earth guys you can meet. They care about the people drinking their beer and love that we all go crazy over it. That is why they pour their hearts into their beers. The best beers i have ever had have come from both of these guys. I think the ratings prove it.

If Cory releases a small batch of 200 bottles and its the best beer ever, ill try to get one. If i don't.... ill wait for him to release another.

If you all want the small batches to become bigger then SUPPORT them!

Sorry for my rant... :(

Bond111, Deltoro, rebelmusic and 6 others like this.
  34. You coming to the release CJ?

35. evilcatfish

This pretty much sums it up

36. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aficionado (120) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Another fact that needs to be pointed out is just because you have a 10BBL system doesnt mean you can make a 10BBL 14.3% beer. I would estimate you would get 5BBL on a batch of that high of original gravity unless you double mash.

jaminjohnson likes this.
  37. Im hoping to make it. I have a son being born on Sept 3rd. Im gonna just go ahead and assume ill probably be broke or the wife wont let me out of the house by then.

Hopefully someone will share a pour with me someday if i cant make it.

jegross2 likes this.
  38. coryking

coryking Savant (250) Missouri Sep 21, 2008

First, Mike, thank you for giving another brewer's perspective on all of this. All too often, because we have a brewhouse that is size X, everyone assumes that we must have X quantity of beer... We have the same issues with our huge beers, where our yields can drop down to close to 50% of what a smaller beer will yield..

Second, I wanted to make a quick post just to make sure some of these statements in this thread do not grow and become rumors...

"As far as I've heard so far these batches are intentionally being kept smaller than necessary."

I have no idea where you heard this, but it couldn't more inaccurate. Side Project is just me, one person. For the Saison du Fermier bottling day, it took me close to 12 hours to bottle. Intentionally kept small - yes. Smaller than necessary - no.

"the guy", thats me, "running Side Project said that he intended to keep all of his releases really small."

At first, yes, my releases are going to be small. I am trying to grow into what I want to brew, what works, and what I can afford. I have no investors, no help, and little time at this point. Its going to be a growth period with speed bumps and road blocks, but the end goal is produce enough beer to support my family, yet not too much beer where I have to sacrifice quality or become overwhelmed with hours spent away from my family, just to meet a demand that will never be fulfilled. I have no immediate plans to distribute, so whats so wrong with small batches? The experimentation and workload right now makes me happy, and thats the important thing.

Its truly an honor to see you guys talking about my beers and I thank you for all of the support. I am very excited about Side Project's first release and I hope that everyone likes what I have spent so much time trying to perfect.

Cheers,

Cory King
    Owner/Brewer
    Side Project Brewing

39. JRorie

JRorie Aficionado (170) Illinois Oct 11, 2010

Speaking out of turn, then doing it again, and again, sucks.