1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Side Project... How hard is it to get?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by tectactoe, Feb 26, 2014.

1. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

So. Seems like Side Project is the new kid on the farmhouse/saison/American sour block... Being from Michigan & being somewhat out of the loop recently, it seems like they came out of absolutely nowhere.

I figured the best place to get some info would be the source! Mizzou, yes? How hard is it to acquire their bottled beers? Cost? Which ones are easier/harder? Would a Chocolate Rain land some Side Project? Do I need to pull deeper?

Pls halp, I need some of this goodness in my life.

2. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (535) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

My understanding is that Side Project is a "side project" of Perennial's head brewer, Cory King. Given the quality of Perennial's beers, it's not all that surprising that their head brewer could produce some amazing small-batch beers.

Check out this thread for more info; it includes a nice response from Cory himself.

As far as trading for these beers, I have no idea. But I do know that I would very much like to try them.

3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Good source of info is stlhops.com and to follow SP on the usual social networks. Releases are kind of random and like most beers right after a release is the best time to trade. Personally, my SP beers usually get drank pretty quick

4. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

I'm a big fan of trading transparency, so here is a complete list of every trade I've made involving a Side Project bottle:

Origin + Brett Project 1 + Saison du Fermier for 2012 Blaeber (This, by the way, was my single greatest trading error to date. Within 10 minutes of me accepting this offer, I got offered a Framboos+; an Isabelle Proximus; and a Malvasia Rosso)

Saison du Fermier for LP Framboise

Saison du Fermier for Mamouche

BV 1 w/Lacto +BV 2+BV 2 w/Lacto for DFH Golden Shower plus Vietnamese Speedway

BV 1 w/Lacto +BV 2+BV 2 w/Lacto + Saison du Ble for Coffee Eclipse plus Chocolate Rain

BV 1 w/Lacto +BV 2+BV 2 w/Lacto + Saison du Ble for MS Sun of A Beak, London, Anchorage, and 3000.

Pulling Nails for Port Damon and Coolship Cerise

Pulling Nails + Le Saisonnier for CL Barrel Select Cherry, Barrel Select Raspberry, Barrel Select Black, and Rosso e Marrone b3

Pulling Nails + Le Saisonnier + Saison du Ble for West Ashley, BA Cellerman, and Love's Armor

Le Saisonnier + a very limited local for Grump Old Time, Brandy Old Time, and Funky Old Time

Le Saisonnier for 32oz growler of Funky Buddha Bonita Applebum

anteater, redblacks75 and Ferocious like this.
  5. Here are my two recentvSide Project trades;

CW 16 + New Glarus Serendipity + BCBCS + BCBBW for Le Saisonnier + Abraxas

CW 16 + 2 Petit Mutant/2 Heady/2 Focal Banger + Sosus = Pulling Nails + Sump Coffee Stout

Waiting for a special occasion to crack the two of them, although my main want was Saison du Fermier and I had a pretty decent FT list I only got offers on Saisonnier and Pulling Nails. I'd think that SP is going to get harder and harder to trade for the farther out from the release it is.

Duffmanohyeah02 likes this.
  6. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

how many of their beers are easy to get on shelves in st louis? or maybe i should say how many do they have at a time available?

7. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

It doesn't make any shelves. Brewery release only and they're all gone within hours of the release.

8. What he said. Usually the releases are fun and quite a nice bottle share. The first release was pretty epic, in terms of bottle sharing ive been a part of in stl. Also, what catfish said was true. Releases seem to be completely random and sometimes announce only a couple days in advance.

As far as my trades with my side projects:
    saissoner and abraxas for cw16+serendipity+bcbcs/bcbbw

Pulling Nails+Saissoner+box of chocolate for Chocolate Rain and Mocha Wednesday

And currently have in the works 2x pulling nails for Prop+PvW Eclipse.

Im not entirely sure how even or fair in terms of rarity and $ value my trades were on either side, but the beers traded for were ones that I wanted to try.

anticipation23 likes this.
  9. levon15

levon15 Aficionado (200) Illinois Jan 19, 2012

Two questions.

First, Let me get this guys info to see if he still wants to trade for these bottles. I assume he finished it up quickly while offering what he did.

Second, Why are you trading so much of this tasty beer, was it not enjoyable to you? You're making plenty of out of towners happy shipping it all over the place, given they have the beer you need/want.

Lukahn and jaminjohnson like this.
  10. Abbbp

Abbbp Savant (455) Texas Mar 9, 2013

It seems like YOU got a lot.... Comparatively speaking.

11. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Very commendable for sharing that. I'm working on putting together a Side Project set, so, this is pure gold to me.

12. I think comparatively speaking to other SP trades, I was fairly even. Usually we can get darn near anything we want for SP bottles when they are released. Id like to think all parties have been very happy.

anticipation23 likes this.
  13. Abbbp

No that's not what I meant. You certainly traded fairly, I'd expect no less. I'm saying you got ALOT of Side Project. Assuming you drank one of each of the bottles before you traded, that's still a decent haul. I like it.

Duffmanohyeah02 likes this.
  14. Im lucky enough to have a girlfriend that likes to go to beer releases and get her full allotments. Heck, we even go to Darkness Day every year!

15. Abbbp

That's so badass... I'd say def the opposite of Yoko! BM me if you'd like to take this offline and discuss the new JK sours ;)

16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Ah mules....jk

DooshBagalow and Duffmanohyeah02 like this.