Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsal89

dsal89 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

From Mybeerbuzz.com:

"Here’s a new release from Sierra Nevada that I can’t wait to try. Today we have the 750ml bottle label for Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale aged in Whiskey Barrels. This beer celebrates the 30th anniversary of Bigfoot by aging the popular Barleywine in oak whiskey casks for 2-years! Look for this bad boy to come in at 11.8% ABV."

Not sure of the release date...but im excited

2. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

I asked about this earlier this year- any word on distribution?

3. dsal89

I didnt see any mention of it. I really hope i can get a few bottles of this

4. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Last time I remember Bill Manley talking about it, he said it would hit national distro, but that it would be a 1/4th of the size of the original hoptimum release (when it was 24 oz bottles). So it won't be around long :-D

edit: I want to say that he said hoptimum was 400bbl and there is only 100bbl of this.

5. dsal89

Damn..i really hope i can find this. That doesnt make me feel too good about getting it

6. klaybie

klaybie Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

Just did a quick google search and an article from November 2011 said they would bottle some in 2012 for release in May, presumably May of 2012 so obviously that didn't happen. Perhaps it will come soon...

7. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Pooh-Bah (2,018) Jul 13, 2004 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We will also be seeing wine barrel-aged Ovila Dubbel and a barrel-aged Narwhal released relatively soon.

CreightonSM likes this.
  8. ChanChan

ChanChan Maven (1,341) Dec 12, 2009 California

The label doesn't look too hot but whatever, this one should be awesome!!!

9. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Zealot (739) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

There was a thread about it, bill comented that it wasn't ready for may. I think someone mentioned that they used a variety of barrels and were not happy with what the scotch barrels did to Bigfoot.

10. dsal89

Did they make some first to throw in barrels? Or was it the most recent batch they put in barrels? id guess we wouldnt see it for at least 8 months...but i hope im wrong.

(talking about Narwhal)

11. Luv2Brew422

Luv2Brew422 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 California

The BA Dubbel is already out!

12. LilBilly666

LilBilly666 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Georgia

Really hoping to get my hands on some of this!

jglowe77 likes this.
  13. Goosey

Goosey Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2012 Missouri

King Henry may have met his match. Hopefully this is not just a once in a lifetime release, either way maybe this will incentivize GI to brew some more KH to retain there spot as número uno in the vast realm of all things barley wine.

14. dsal89

Goose Island just put another barleywine into barrels (different kind of barrels) supposed to be a successor to KH

15. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

Wow that's a bold statement! I sure hope it is better than KH, but that'll b very difficult to do. I do feel that it has the potential to be one of the best barleywines though

16. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

Wasn't King Henry done with the barrels used from the Vanilla BCBS and thats why it wont b made again?? Please correct me if I am wrong

17. Duff27

Duff27 Pooh-Bah (2,468) Feb 10, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wouldn't be so sure. This is my opinion only but barrel aging in general seems to go better with English Barleywines than American (hoppier). That said, I hope this is good...it's beginning to be a crowded field.

Gosox8787, luwak and stakem like this.
  18. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

It was aged in the barrels used for BCBS Rare.

Gosox8787, jonbeer89 and gtermi like this.
  19. stakem

stakem Grand Pooh-Bah (4,070) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You are close. King Henry was done with PVW barrels that previously aged Bourbon County Rare.

Edit: I am a slow responder. Zach60614 beat me to the reply.

MagillaGriller and gtermi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.