1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

2. Yes it is. It is better than any barrel-aged beer I've had, including KBS. That's a personal opinion though. It smells boozy as hell but its surprisingly balanced to perfection. I stocked up bigtime. I think I have 9-10 of em right now.

3. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

Great, great beer. Definitely lives up to the hype. Pissed I only purchased 2 when the store had a whole case and no bottle limit.

4. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

Sucks for you. Guess you'll have to wait until I drop this extra I picked up on your porch.

daysinthewake likes this.
  5. Fl is getting it. Very limited and will be on just a couple shelves very soon. LOL People hunting for BigFoot this sounds familiar. Should I be looking for giant foot steps to make plaster molds out of?

EyePeeAyBryan and regularjohn like this.
  6. rails

rails Aficionado (180) California Nov 8, 2012

They had a keg of it for Brewbies at Pizzaport in Carlsbad. It's really good off the keg so smooth, mellow all the hop bitterness was long gone. The keg lasted all day :)

7. erichall

erichall Aficionado (195) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

Good pick up. We still have some left at my store in Elizabethtown, KY. I'm tempted to grab a couple for my beer cellar but would rather make a beer fans day.

8. #humblebash? I like your style!

Just kidding of course, wish I could grab a second bottle at a reasonable price...saw it tonight for 30$.

9. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

That's funny you mentioned that....my buddy just told me the same thing today,I'm farther down the peninsula but I found a couple of bottles today at a grocery store got there last two!!!! I'm pretty stoked right now

10. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Brews in Granville???

11. Heads up for anyone in the Houston area, flying saucers got 2 cases, specs downtown got 4, few other stores got 1 a peice, only 16 total. Went out this morning.

12. rigo

rigo Aficionado (160) New York Jul 30, 2006

try the other foodtown they have on in yonkers i pick one bottle and they had a good selection.

13. Any news on what the distribution is currently like for the Los Angeles area?

14. Crookdrain

Thanks. I picked up 2 in Brooklyn last week. Very impressed with this beer - it definitely lived up to the hype (at least for me it did).

15. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Wow Big Foot rocks so Barrel Aged? OMG! This is definitely on my ISO list.

16. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (365) New York Aug 23, 2012

got 3 or 4 left at decicco's in ardsley, grabbed mine today!

rigo likes this.
  17. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Just grabbed a bottle in Richmond. Only one case at that store.

18. Hate to say it but you're probably too late for the party. Most places I checked in Santa Monica/West Hollywood area had already got and sold their cases.

19. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

[quoogforce, post: 953107, member: 498582"]Brews in Granville???[/quote]
    Yep, Brews in Granville

20. Believe it or not, I just picked one up yesterday at Whole Foods in El Segundo.

21. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I left my wallet there once.

(we'll see if anyone gets the reference)

Coax, ant880, JohnGalt1 and 9 others like this.
  22. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Scored again. Got three left now. FT...

23. Nice Tribe reference

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  24. Cenosillicaphobe

I was lucky enough to have a couple of people offer me trades...and my heart shall belong to those fine gentlemen for all of eternity...in a hetero life-mate kinda way. ;)

badb_rad likes this.
  25. Cenosillicaphobe

I haven't heard that song in a very long time...love me some Tribe though.

26. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

Nice reference!
    Phife > Q Tip

ms11781 likes this.
  27. iabeerbaron

iabeerbaron Savant (255) Iowa Dec 1, 2011

I have heard that Iowa isn't getting any because Sierra Nevada is very unhappy with how their distribution in Iowa has been going.

28. Crookdrain

Good Beer in NYC will be selling a few more bottles of BA Bigfoot next Tuesday the 26th during their SN night (also have it on tap along with BBA Ovila Quad and Dubbel, and Rhizing Bines)

dar482 likes this.
  29. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Has any of this made it to Florida?

30. thampel09

thampel09 Savant (455) New Jersey Apr 27, 2010

I still have yet to have seen this in NJ/Philly area

31. ajfa531

ajfa531 Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 2, 2007

All the NJ beer managers with whom I have talked have said that their distributors have said no BA Bigfoot will be coming to the state. Origlio's is the Sierra distributor for Philly and they told me that they had no timeline for receiving cases as of Friday. Shangy's had cases, but only one was available for retail. I have no idea where the other cases went.

- Joe

32. I was so pissed by this sequence of tweets today by a liquor store near where I work, by the time I saw the first one it was already after the second. Maybe I can win the raffle...

11:08AM

The Liquor Barn@TheLiquorBarn
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barrel Aged Barleywine just arrived also!

12:31PM

The Liquor Barn@TheLiquorBarn
    WOW...we are down to 1 Bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barrel Aged Barleywine that we will be raffling off. Stop... http://fb.me/15j8QaO8B

33. CrisLin

CrisLin Zealot (85) New York Nov 27, 2012

Vintner Wine Market still have some. Bought 2 last night

34. Peanut

Peanut Aficionado (140) Georgia Oct 22, 2012

I'm tempted to do a BA Bigfoot alongside Bolt Cutter. Who will win?

35. Cenosillicaphobe

Consensus would seem to suggest that the Bigfoot will murder the Bolt Cutter's entire family in its sleep...but taste is subjective...and I liked Bolt Cutter far more than others seemed to...while I have yet to taste the BA Bigfoot.

Peanut likes this.
  36. I get that you're upset, and seriously, I am truly sorry about that, but really what allocation choice did we have?
    Our barrel program is small and we only yielded a finite amount of beer. That's the thing about barrel aged beers...they take so long to produce, it's not like we can go back in and brew another batch and makeup the difference. It would take another year at best, even if we had the space to do it, which we don't.
    We did what we thought was the most fair...we allocated beer to states on a percentage basis. The states that sell most of our beer most often got more cases than the states in which we sell less beer. We sell more than 50% of all of our beer in California, so naturally California got the lion's share...but even then, it was not an easy beer to lay hands on.
    Maine, while an important market and growing like crazy, just isn't one of our top markets. Sadly, the way the percentages broke down, there wasn't all that much that we could allocate that way.This is the blessing and the curse of limited products. They're fun and exciting and get people talking, but you always run the risk of alienating folks who weren't able to try the beers which is a shame.
    We will make more, and I promise, Maine will get as much as we can give, but for this release, the breakdown worked out so there wasn't much more we could do.

I really am sorry for your disappointment.

-Bill

Coax, GetMeAnIPA, YogiBeer and 25 others like this.
  37. Cenosillicaphobe

I can dig it. I was just butthurt lol. I'm getting a couple of bottles in trade shortly. I get that y'all did the best you could with what you had, and had our distributor actually allocated a bottle or two here and there, rather than just gifting the bottles, I would have been the first dude on a couple of those lists, so I guess ultimately my disappointment is with the distributor. All that being said, Sierra Nevada is the class of the craft world, and I'm still buying the crap out of your beer. Very happy to hear more is in the works.

EDIT: After reading my post that you quoted, I really need to apologize. I was very upset when I posted it, but that's no excuse for basically throwing my favorite brewery under the proverbial bus. Y'all deserve better than that, and I am truly sorry for what I wrote.

38. Cenosillicaphobe

Oh...and might I add...that Ovila 4-pack is pretty much the most gorgeous packaging I've seen...and a damn good beer to boot.

BrettHead and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  39. Hit Pittsburgh a few days ago. $19 price tag but there are a few to be had still.

40. Just finished drinking the BA Bigfoot, damn fine beer it is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.