1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Once again, Bill shows why SN is a truly great brewery!
  2. mtk180

mtk180 Disciple (60) California Jan 18, 2013

Snagged a few today, excited to try one!
    ajfa531 likes this.
  3. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

I haven't tried many barleywines, but I seem to have liked them so far. Hopefully I'll be going to the Good Beer event soon.
  4. wde83

wde83 Aficionado (115) Alabama Nov 9, 2012

I was in Birmingham, AL for a job interview today and bought 2 bottles at Hop City there. Really excited to try it as I love bourbon barrel beers and I love bigfoot. They still had 3 or 4 on the shelf and maybe more stashed away somewhere else if anybody is in the area. I assume it has been sitting there at least a week or more as I know that bigfoot hit the state a few weeks ago just not in my current neck of the woods.
  5. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Have not tried Bolt Cutter, is it BA? As for the BA Bigfoot, I was kind of disappointed. Maybe I just don't have the pallet yet for "Whiskey" BA, but I found it way to boozy and the alco flavor very sharp and overpowering.
    johnhenryconway likes this.
  6. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Well stated sir!
  7. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

When I first saw the Ovila 4-pack, I thought it was Assassin's Creed beer...
    EyePeeAyBryan and beerborn like this.
  8. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Any ideas where? I went to Shaler GE but it had been out for awhile the manager said
  9. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

That survived over an hour longer than anywhere in GA, though I understand your frustration you had a much bigger window to work in. The majority of Atlanta area stores didn't even have time to tweet before it was already sold out.
  10. south hills ge got a case, but theres a good chance that its gone by now. i got my bottle friday. person at robinson ge said theyre supposed to get some but havent yet, dont think theyre getting any if they didnt get it when everyone else got it. house of 1000 beers posted that they had some, but with their markup its probably like $30
  11. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Yeah it would be that high of a mark-up. I'll check them out but I'm sure its long gone from the GE by now, thanks for the tip
  12. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Did this beer make it ANYWHERE close to Chicagoland or suburbs ??
    The closest Ive heard its been is Michigan :(

Hoping I don't have to trade for multiple bottles.
  13. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I picked one up in the northwest suburbs. It was extremely limited with some stores only receiving two bottles total. The $11.99 price point was extremely reasonable, however.
  14. You're telling us DeKalb didn't get any??!! I don't believe it.
    hopswap1 likes this.
  15. LSMroz

LSMroz Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2013

Does Aurora count? I was able to snag one 2 weeks ago out there.
  16. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

got a bottle of barrel aged bigfoot yesterday in New Haven County, CT
  17. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (365) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Yea I snagged one at woodmans in north aurora and another at binny's. If you blinked.. you missed it.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  18. wbischof

wbischof Aficionado (105) Florida Mar 27, 2012

Just arrived in Orlando, but not much. Millenia Total got 2 cases around noon today
  19. shibby575

shibby575 Aficionado (100) Indiana Dec 28, 2010

Our distributor got one case to spread around all of there stores...I got lucky and was able to track down a few bottles after running a couple of hours around town. Can't wait to crack one, and let the others sit.
  20. steebo777

Good ole truck chasin'!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  21. I had it a month ago from Draught in Asheville for their Beer Festival, Must of had 2 pints of it. It was Delicious! The Sierra Nevada Guys up there are awesome too!
  22. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Fun fact.

Great Divide's Old Ruffian is higher rated than Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot, likewise
    Great Divide's Barrel-Aged Old Ruffian is higher rated than Sierra Nevada's Barrel-Aged Bigfoot.

I find this hype over BA Bigfoot a bit ridiculous considering people don't get this crazy about BA Old Ruffian which is only released every 2-years, and in which more BA's think is better.
  23. BA Bigfoot has only been released for a month in small allocation. I think that might effect the ratings.

Also, beer was fantastic. I wish Sierra could make a bad beer. I guess Tumblr is pretty mediocre.
  24. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Well...the BA Bigfoot has the whole unknown factor...given that it's the first time it has existed...so there's that...
  25. I love threads where I can appreciate our Bay Area love vs guys who can easily score BCBS, Founders BS, IS and BB, Zombie Dust and Hopslam!
    Johnnyramirez likes this.
  26. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (180) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

Still haven't heard of it hitting the St. Louis area. I've been stalking a few locations too. I'm starting to really believe in the lore of Bigfoot. So many stories and photos. But yet, he alludes me. I bet you're a tasty bastard.
    FriarTuckInLuck and beerborn like this.
  27. For anyone in Asheville NC, The Weinhaus on Patton Ave just got a case of BBA Bigfoot in today. I picked up a few bottles today around 1:30pm for ~$16. Might still be some bottles left.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  28. jpizz

jpizz Zealot (90) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

just bought 2 four packs at 6.99 a piece in Michigan of all places. drinking one right now and aging the rest,hell if there is any left I may go back tomorrow and buy 2 more 4 packs. wow, what a monster of a beer
  29. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (180) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

You're talking about the 2013 Bigfoot correct? Not the Barrel Aged, right?
  30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Cracked mine open last night with some friends and really enjoyed it. Surprised how much of a hop bite it still had, the sweetness was less apparent up front and the vanilla/bourbon integrated nicely. Wish I had gotten another, could easily polish one off myself.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  31. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I've got a couple coming in trade...and I'll get to taste it at my favorite shop...also gonna bring along an Oak Horizontal if I get my trade boxes in time to share with the few folks who will be involved with that tasting...love to take care of the folks who take care of me...cannot wait to taste both brews.
  32. Maybe because BA Ruffian is absurdly priced @ $21.99 for 17 oz & BA Bigfoot is $14-$16 for a 750 ml
    Do the math...(I'm too lazy)
    JohnB87 likes this.
  33. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Any show up in Arizona yet?
  34. You might give the Total Wine in Scottsdale a try. I was in there a few days back, asking if they had anything behind the counter (specifically looking for FW Sucaba - which they got in yesterday btw) and he said the only thing he had back there was some BA Bigfoot. I think they got in a 2nd case, after they blew through the first one. Worth a call anyway.
  35. I got my two bottles today.....very happy customer
    KevinGordon likes this.
  36. This is a holiday beer. I was falling asleep halfway through. Can't wait for x-mas day.
  37. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Just picked up a bottle in GR today...keep an eye out. If anyone in the area would like to setup a trade, send me a message. I'm always on the look out for BA dark horse/kuhnhenn beers.
  38. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

damn
  39. Old crustacean just appeared too.. not sure what to stock pile.
  40. steebo777

Fun fact: BA Bigfoot is rated 91 as opposed to BA Ruffian rated at 92... so 1 point difference.

Another Fun fact: BA Bigfoot just came out in the bottle, so there's only 117 ratings as opposed to BA Ruffian which has 224 ratings and 5 years on BA Bigfoot.

My personal opinion is BA Ruffian has declined over the past years each time it is released including the most recent one. BA Bigfoot definitely lived up to the hype and is a damn fine BA barleywine.
    KevinGordon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.