1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I just opened my first BA Ruffian and it was infected. What a bummer. At least Great Divide offered to refund or replace with BA Hibernation. Very excited about trying BA Bigfoot, just wish I could have compared the two fairly.
  2. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

I was not impressed with the BA Bigfoot, when I had it on tap a few weeks ago. Need to try the bottled version.
  3. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (260) Florida Sep 15, 2012

Got two bottles yesterday at total wine Orlando millenia location. They only had one left on display after I grabbed my bottles. I almost walked out and didn't get it cause the sign said wood aged Bigfoot lol
  4. was lucky to pick up a bottle and shared it with a friend.
    16 bucks is a little high, but damn its delicious
    so much whiskey...
  5. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Anyone that has access to this willing to trade a couple bottles to a guy in MN. Got plenty of Surly to offer, and some Goose Island '12 BCBS to trade. Help a BA out please!!
  6. Damn shop by my office still has two cases but they are seriously gouging at 22.99 a pop.
  7. LSMroz

LSMroz Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2013

At places that I find are gouging, I've found that if I walk up to the counter with 2 and say I'll pay $XX for both of these, and it's a price that's closer to what it should retail for, they are willing to come down. YMMV...
    gpawned and MaltMilkshake like this.
  8. Nice work.
  9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

FTFY
  10. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Actually found it at the TW in Goodyear. Thanks for the info!
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  11. thats messed up. seriously messed up.
    should be $15.99 each
  12. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Um, both bottles are 750s, or 25.4ozs. BA Old Rasputin is in a 500mL, but that's the only BA beer I can think of in that format, and that's definitely not the same as BA Old Ruffian.

Check your facts next time.
  13. My appologies ...
    Please, please, forgive my post.
    I mistook this for BA Old Rasputan.
  14. I haven't seen or heard of this in KC yet, but I was visiting family in Omaha this weekend and was walking through Whole Foods. As I approached the beer section I saw one bottle of BA Bigfoot sitting all by its lonesome, with the beer and alcohol manager talking to someone not far away. I waited for their conversation to end, asked the manager if I could purchase the bottle, and he told me no because it was their last bottle and he was holding it in the back and saving it. I don't know what for but don't bring limited beer out and parade it if you aren't going to sell it to me.

TLDNR - Omaha Whole Foods had it but the beer manager wouldn't sell it to me because it was their last one. Ooookay.
  15. Brani

Brani Zealot (75) Illinois Jan 13, 2008

whoa! heard a few places in wisconsin got some this week for 11.99 a pop
  16. Kalev13

Kalev13 Aficionado (140) Delaware Feb 14, 2013

For the DE and SE PA folks: I just left Total Wine in Claymont and they had 6 BA Bigfoots on the shelf for $14.99.
  17. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

Had regular Bigfoot for the first time yesterday, amazing.

They had an event at Good Beer in NYC and two bottles of Barrel Aged were opened. They ran out when I got there...
  18. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Picked some up yesterday while sick on my "day off." Hoping to get more to send to some great trading partners I have
  19. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

I was there and thought the Barrel Aged Quad was the bell of the ball. Did you get some of that?
  20. dar482

:( Nope. Came around 7:45 and it only started at 6:30.

The bartender/cashier told me it went out fast and the portions were really small.
  21. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

picked one up in Minneapolis today for $12.99
  22. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (80) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

Any Utah BAs seen this around /know if we'll be getting it?
  23. I grabbed the last two at my total wine today. Noticed that the sign, and my receipt, both said "Wood aged Bigfoot." It certainly didn't slow me down from buying both at a cool $14 a pop.
    Deltoro likes this.
  24. rigo

rigo Aficionado (135) New York Jul 30, 2006

ft on palisade ave have 2 bottles
  25. rigo

rigo Aficionado (135) New York Jul 30, 2006

waoooo bba ovila is a good beer.
  26. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Where? Please share where!?!?!
  27. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Where? Please share where!?!?!
  28. Anywhere in IL or WI?
  29. LSMroz

IL been sold out for 2 weeks.
  30. Bought two more tonight for $14 a piece. Whole case on the shelf and no bottle limit. Went in for something else and there it was....love it when that happens
  31. Where? How did this get missed?
  32. LSMroz

NW Burbs. I was told that all of DuPage County only got 14 cases. I was able to track 1 down 3 weeks ago at the Woodman's in Aurora.
  33. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Falls Liquor, all sold out : /
    i've heard a few shops might get it in tomorrow. Check the Midwest > Bigfoot in MN thread.
  34. Picked up a bottle at a health food store after picking up my son from daycare. Funny thing is I originally went in there for lentils.
  35. dar482

Can you confirm that it was BBA Quad and Dubbel? The Dubbel was decent, but the Quad was wild good. The site seems like they only had regular, not BBA.
  36. Ill say it again. This beer needs 2-3 more years+ in the bottle.
  37. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

It was the BBA Quad. The folks there and the SN rep both said it was, and it tasted like licking the inside of a bourbon barrel. . .in a good way.
    dar482 likes this.
  38. hey guys - here is a quick and perhaps silly question but I'm gonna ask it anyway - perhaps it's been answered in one of the previous 15 pgs:

so this bottle of BA Bigfoot is printed as - 2013 Expedition - makes sense as it was released in 2013. In the notes it is listed as sitting in barrels for over a year. so the beer was actually brewed in 2011 (most likely). Great.

so how is beer different from wine/champagne in listing it's vintage on the labels? the most recent vintage of DomP is 2003 - the year the grapes were actually harvested and thus they label it as 2003 vintage. Why does Sierra (and breweries in general) label their offerings the year they were bottled instead of actually brewed.

Just curious - as it goes against the norm in the wine world. Is this a legal thing w/ labeling or something???
    Sokool likes this.
  39. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

looks like I won't be in on this one, by OH law...Again :(
    dsal89 likes this.
  40. Just picked up two bottles at the total wine wilmington milltown. They have 4 bottles left $14.99
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.