1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

It very well could be a legal issue, IANAL, but as to my own feelings, I like how it is done with beer because the way I look at it is that it is not a finished product until bottled.
    TheBushman likes this.
  2. Sokool

Sokool Aficionado (210) Washington Jan 31, 2013

Having the date that they actually racked it to the barrels would actually be really handy. Especially when you are further cellaring beers at home. I bought one of these, and I plan to age it for at least a year before I drink the thing. Assuming that I have the patience to wait that long, would my b-wine then be 3 years old?
  3. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

Some Cantillon and other Belgian beers (Mariage Parfait, etc) use vintages on their bottles instead of bottle dates. It doesn't seem to fit all beer.
    BrettHead and ICCULIS like this.
  4. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

Thanks. I don't know about the Dubbel then, but that Quad was scary good. It was so complex, rich, and smooth.
  5. Name one person who has licked the inside of a bourbon barrel (or any barrel for tha matter) that was in any way, shape, or form "a good way".
    ThirstyFace likes this.
  6. TaylorRB817

TaylorRB817 Zealot (75) California Jun 27, 2012

I called the Brewery today and they are out of it on tap, in bottles, and are done with distribution according to the lady at the gift shop.
  7. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two different things, usually by employing the words "like" or "as" – also, but less commonly, "if", or "than".
  8. plemori

plemori Zealot (80) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

I have drank BCBS straight from the bottom of a barrel.....And it was INCREDIBLE!
  9. Pittsburgh BA Bigfoot sighting earlier today @ Bethel Park Market District $16.99 1 per customer limit 7 left.
  10. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (350) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I got to taste this yesterday...and it was pretty damn good...stoked I have a couple of bottles coming in a trade.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  11. If you can get it, it's worth it. It was enjoyable until the last drop. I would have paid more than the $15 I picked it up for.
  12. shibby575

shibby575 Aficionado (100) Indiana Dec 28, 2010

I was able to score 4 bottles. I wish it was $15, but 19.99 wasn't too bad i guess. I'm looking forward to poping one next Sat. Hopefully it lives up to all of the chatter.
  13. Haha, I went to Denison back in 2000 to 04. Many a drunken days spent in that place
    Yep, Brews in Granville[/quote]
  14. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

you guys are a tremendous brewery. i love that you post here, both in response to criticism and rave reviews. keep up the great work- brewing and customer service. a fan for life.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  15. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Picked one up over the weekend for $15.99
  16. Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  17. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (575) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

As you correctly note, the year on a bottle of wine refers to the harvest year. The purpose of this holds the difference in my mind. Certain years are better than others depending on the length of the growing season, the weather, the soil etc. etc. Beer, on the other hand, is much less susceptible to the drastic flavor changes that wine is when the growing season is different. It would be cool if the beer had the brewing date and the bottling date, but it just doesn't make as much of a difference.

Marketing would also be a valid purpose for beer makers. A lot of people tend to believe that beer should be drank now and not later. Perhaps the brewers are just trying to make sure that people will se the product on the shelf and know it is new. In the wine world this is obviously much different as people know about harvest years.

If you're looking for a good bottle of wine, 2008 was a great year. <---- most people have probably heard something like this. Now you know what it means. Also, 2008 was in fact a great year for wine so go buy some.
    BrettHead likes this.
  18. ZMDR1975

ZMDR1975 Aspirant (35) Maryland Feb 18, 2013

I have that beer, just bought it 2 days ago...I was like thinking of trading or drinking it...whats your advice???

19. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Ive never had it :( It didnt get out to where I am and if it did it was really limited and I missed the boat. Havent heard much other than a few people I know said it wasnt mindblowing
  20. EBAY is free market and I beleive beer should be allowed to sold .
    If people have enough cash and are willing to spend it there then why not ?
    I have yet to hear of ANY instance that someone was ever FORCED to bid on any item listed on Ebay
  21. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (350) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I was always torn on the eBay thing...but I don't think it should be so demonized...great way to make some cash...if one should be so inclined (never did it)...and a great way to get ahold of beers you can't get elsewhere...if you want to spend the cash (did it a few times).
  22. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'm insanely jealous at the prices you guys paid for your BA Bigfoots. It's $29.99 everywhere I've seen it in Md.
  23. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Damn... and I thought the $18 I paid was pricey for a SN creation
  24. I bought a bottle at a bar for 25.00 thought that was bad
  25. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

When I brew my beer I don't think about the brew day as when the beer made, always the bottling day. If you really want to be technical also the brew day makes wort, wort is then converted into beer. I don't know exactly when you can technically call your wort beer, but it would seem at least towards the end of fermentation.
    BrettHead likes this.
  26. HarryPotHead

HarryPotHead Savant (310) Maryland Aug 21, 2012

Bought the last bomber they had on hand at Well's Discount Liquors in Baltimore a couple weeks back and was hoping to let it age a bit, but I broke down....mmmmmm.....tasty. [ii]D
  27. HarryPotHead

HarryPotHead Savant (310) Maryland Aug 21, 2012

I picked up a bottle at Wells Discount Liquors on York Road in Baltimore for $12 bucks a couple of weeks back. I was gonna get more but it was the only one I could find.
  28. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (215) Utah Mar 11, 2003

The Beerhive may be getting some in.
    BlackElixir likes this.
  29. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Where are you in Indiana?
  30. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

NWI
  31. Found another single today at Common Market Charlotte, NC. $14.29+tax.
    I love hidden shelf finds.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  32. plemori

plemori Zealot (80) Wisconsin Apr 18, 2012

you say wood aged like it would be a bad thing.....
  33. aka Shelfwhales or shwhales for short
  34. tree777

tree777 Aficionado (240) Florida Jun 2, 2012

Picked one up at Total Wine in Miami (Pinecrest) tonight:) they have a few bottles left for those of you in the vecinity
  35. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

Anyone have any extra BA Bigfoot lying around let me know. Ive got all kinds of Founders, Bells, Shorts ECT.
  36. Anyone here who really really really wanted to try this but missed out?
  37. Had this on draft at Brawley's Black and Blue last Friday night and it was wonderful. I'm even more excited now to see how the bottles taste with age on them.
  38. just grabbed 2 today at a random liquor store in santa clara. Ya buddy
    Cenosillicaphobe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.