1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you need an accomplice or an alibi, BM me.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  2. Did they release any other variations beside the one thats going to be distributed? Anything else exciting up there right now? :)
  3. No variations. Theyy also just put out Ovila Quad with Plums and still have BA Dubbel/Quad.
  4. Ah Sweet! Any new Audition beer, or is it still the Double IPA?
  5. NYRfan4ever

NYRfan4ever Savant (250) New Jersey Oct 30, 2009

Will it get to NJ? if so, when?
  6. I haven't seen one since that one.
  7. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

As if this post wasn't enough, I'm willing to put up some good beers for this one. Looking for multiples if possible.

ISO!
  8. Paul just drive over and pick-up six, including one for me:cool:
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  9. I picked some up today...NBD

[​IMG]
  10. I was definitely thinking about it. I may go up tomorrow or Wednesday, and if I can get up there I will get a couple and save one for you. :D
  11. That would be awsome!:D Watching the Niners Sunday with you know who.
    ThatCracker and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  12. Yeah he called me too. I would definitely be there if I wasnt working. I am going to try and request the Super Bowl off so I can come down there. ;)
    Seanvino likes this.
  13. Would be great to see you again and share a few brews, hope it works out.:)
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Disciple (60) Nov 21, 2012

15. When is this expected on shelves?
  16. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Nice. Gonna have to start searching!
  17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

sierranevadabill?
  18. Oh really? When did you have the barreled version of it?
    bifrost17, flexabull and Etan like this.
  19. Happy that I don't really like Bigfoot, so I don't have to worry about seeking this out. Don't know that we'd even see any, ayway.
  20. I love Da Foot and cannot wait to try this nectar of the SN gods !!!
  21. My quote: "Bigfoot is best fresh and without touching Bourbon trash...IMHO."

Willing to amend statement if you have an extra bottle : ) ...I don't see how it could be any worse than the other highly-touted schwag I've had (from you) that was Bourbon barrel aged/contaminated. A Whiskey barrel barleywine (v Imp Stout) might be tolerable. Got nothin against virgin/toasted oak. The fad will pass, IMHO.

...awaiting homebrew diatribes. Cheers.
  22. Schmoozer

Schmoozer Aficionado (135) Michigan Nov 15, 2008

Anyone think this is thin and artificial tasting?
    hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  23. CMB2012

CMB2012 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

I sincerely hope you're right about barrel aged beers being a fad, but I don't want brewers to stop making them. No, I'd much rather people become once again less interested in them so that those who truly enjoy the style can enjoy them in peace - without having to run around town, chase trucks, and trade "loved" ones to obtain them just because it's the cool thing to do.
    GreenKrusty101 and hctap00 like this.
  24. I'll pop one this weekend if you come out and take a look at my basement (non cellar side, I have some water issues not fit for BA thread discussion).

I can't think of a single "contaminated" bourbon barrel aged beer I've ever drank with you, heck, if anything, you've been extremely lucky: zero of the many 09' Abyss I've popped, nor Alpine barrel offerings opened w/ you were compromised. . .

I agree though, I hope the fad (of bashing beers before you've had them) will pass.
    YogiBeer and IMSPEAKNOENGLISH like this.
  25. RedTeflon

RedTeflon Zealot (85) Dec 31, 2012

Well boys & girls the moment has come. Sierra Nevada has released it and I bought as many as I could compulsion buy. I will add up all my nickles and dimes over the next few days to see how many I can reasonably stockpile. It is being distributed nationally but only sold at the brewery if you are a Chico local. I asked if it was any good and both employees smiled and told me it was very tasty. I thought it was odd they used a painted on label, I cant remember ever seeing a Sierra Nevada with that style of label.

[​IMG]
  26. Damn, I was just at the brewery a week ago. The guy there told me it was another month until release. Hope I can find some on shelves.
  27. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

Will this hit shelves in arizona?
    DonDirkA likes this.
  28. How much was a bottle? I'm going to have my chico friend pick me up one hopefully. Anyone know if a barrel aged narwhal is going to be released, and when?
  29. huadog

huadog Savant (340) California May 13, 2009

huh? you have to prove that you live in chico to buy this from the brewery?
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  30. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I really would love to see SN deliver some elite stuff to shelves around the country. Well maybe elite is a word used for most of their offerings, but for me these guys are some of the grandfathers of craft beer and sometimes are overlooked. I was stoked to see a big imperial stout in narwhal be such a damn good brew(very competitive). But I am afraid SN don't get the Kind of credit say a FFF, Founders, Russian River, Alesmith, Stone type brewer does bc they don't release enough of that one of stuff. Sure we got a sweet new RIS and some good IPAs in bombers as well as the random beer camp stuff, but why not make an epic brew like Bigfoot in an available bomber barrel aged every few years? Or sit up some of those beer camp hall of famers available ever so often. But don't make it a local gig. Ship it in limited supplies to every area thats loyal buying and selling your pale ale. This kind of marketing scheme would finally get Sierra nevada the kind of credit and respect they've always deserved. Right now I see folks passing on SN stuff bc it's always there. I had someone compare them to Samuel Adams(no knock on Boston Beer Co) but come on now... Sierra Nevada is as good as it will ever get. And its been like that a long time.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  31. No, you dont have to be local. What he meant is that the SN gift shop is the only place in Chico that its available. Ie, local liquor stores will not carry it. Hope this clears up the confusion.
    huadog likes this.
  32. How much have bottles been for those who have purchased them?
  33. $16.99 limit 6 bottles.
  34. Is it going to be distributed at all?
  35. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Love these painted labels...probably one of the classiest to be released in a long while. These truly are hoardable, collectible, items.
  36. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

I thought it was going to be over 12%, but the label says 11.8%, no? Does Ohio have a chance after all?
    thegrogbog likes this.
  37. Its all Barrel right now. Needs time. At least the tap version. Can't speak to the bottles...yet.
  38. It was on tap id assume while you were there. You asked if it was good opposed to finding out for yourself off the spout before spending $17.29 x 6?
  39. Mine says 12.2%

New stuff I had up there recently:
    Ovila Quad w/ Plum
    Single Hop Torpedo: Magnum, Crystal
    French Saison
    Cabin Fever
    Love at First Bike
    BA Bigfoot
    BA Ovila Dubbel/Quad

I'd say the "exciting" one were ba bigfoot (duh), 100% crystal hop Torpedo & BA Ovila Dubbel.

I thought that was the cool thing about it, so different than fresh Bigfoot, so different than aged Bigfoot. Way more vanilla than I was expecting.
    flexabull and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.