1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoot

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dsal89, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

I missed out in Modesto,Ca. Been looking/waiting for months. And then one day I'm busy it's all gone. Lol ! Hope you guys that do get it enjoy ! Sounds great !
  2. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

Bought 2 2013 SN Bigfoot today. One to drink now and the other cellared for as long as I can fight the urge!
  3. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

My greatest fear was being abducted by aliens. Now my greatest fear is not being able to find a bottle of BA Bigfoot.
  4. Call Petes Liquor in Tracy. They might still have some
  5. No1Smitty

^ did its all gone. Thanks Johnny. It was all sold out Friday. Was even going to drive to Perry's but that was also a no go. Now just looking for a taste instead of a bottle. Hopefully P.wexfords will get it in tap or pi's bar will have it for Sf beer week. Haven't given up yet ! :D
  6. I'm curious how hard this is to grab? I honestly had an easy time finding it, but the beer guy in my area said that each mom and pop spot got only 1 case if that and that chain places got maybe 2-3 cases. If there was 1000 cases made, how much made it out of California, much less out of the Bay Area? You gotta assume SN kept a large portion at their brewery shop.
  7. azureoval

azureoval Savant (400) California Jan 25, 2010

I have been to 6 different stores in my area (Sacramento-Roseville) and only one store , a Whole Foods, had it yet as of Friday night. The other stores might get some still but who knows ? It could end up like the Abyss was and be easy for some and a no go for others.
  8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Man would I love to try a 10 yr old Bigfoot one of these days.
  9. azaaron

azaaron Aficionado (110) Arizona Mar 11, 2010

Any word on distro to Arizona??? Specificallly Tucson.
    jakesingleton and DonDirkA like this.
  10. Is Sacramento's distro traditionally laggy compared to the Bay or Central Valley? And more importantly did you grab a bottle? I'd honestly assume that in Northern California, if they haven't gotten any in yet, they won't get it, but I'm probably wrong.
  11. Larkin4beer

Larkin4beer Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012

My bar was only able to get in a single case of the BA Bigfoot..... we were sold out in about 20 mintues, The beer was fantastic though.
  12. I can't imagine it won't be on tap at Toronado for the barleywine festival.
  13. Supposedly 40 cases hitting NH. I was told sometime mid Feb.
    Rochefort10nh and brewtechnik like this.
  14. No1Smitty

Another option to try this sought out beer. For me anyways. Thanks MacGroovin.
  15. No1Smitty

Where did you find out that number Prost ? I have been looking for a distro map or plan of some type and have come up empty. I even tweeted sierra themselves to see if the would respond and it was a no go.
  16. Cap N' Cork in West Hollywood does not have it yet either. Found a couple websites offering it for pre-order but who knows if they'll actually be able to get some.
  17. azureoval

azureoval Savant (400) California Jan 25, 2010

I would not say traditionally laggy. Sometimes we get stuff before the Bay Area . I think it all depends on the distribution plan of the brewery.
    Yes I was lucky enough to get a bottle. The 20% off sale they were having did not suck either.
    I would imagine that if the store I got mine from just got some the other area stores are not far behind. The store in question is in a different distro (Placer CO) than Sacramento stores (SAC CO) so delays can exist.
    MentalHorror likes this.
  18. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Just picked up six bottles in SF off Fell - thank God for no Healthy Spirits bottle limit on this or the Cantillon - but at least they let you buy it to take without too crazy of a mark up like shitty beer on Folsom.
  19. Healthy Spirits had a 1 bottle/person limit on the Cantillon they put out for sale yesterday.
  20. Trilogy31

I know thats why I said that, though I really dont mind that too much - at least they sell it unlike that bullshit citybeer pulls marking it up and making you drink it there - just pure profiteering on a hard to get product. Doesnt sound like anyone else in the area received any cantillon except for plumpjack in noe and starr grocery - not sure how HS had so much variety and none of the cities other spots got any.
  21. You said they didn't have a bottle limit on BA Bigfoot or Cantillon. I don't know how they went about selling Bigfoot, but they definitely had a limit on Cantillon purchases.
  22. Trilogy31

Sorry slightly confusing - i was attempting to say where i picked them up had no limit unlike Healthy Spirits
  23. In that case, are you going to share the name of the store, or did you just come in here to wave your secret stash in our faces?
    queens1130 and JohnB87 like this.
  24. I had someone who works at Sierra's NH distributor look into it since I did not want to miss the boat. Thats what he got back to me with. Hope it's happens.
  25. Just one??
  26. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

Any word on this getting to the midwest? MN specifically?
  27. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Wait, seriously?! Holy shit! Where did you hear this exactly?!
  28. That was all the guy would sell me...said he only had one case.
  29. Yeah, all the WF locations in SF were allocated one case each. From what I've heard, most were gone by noon the day they arrived.
  30. One whole Case...guaranteed to sell out and knowingly so with a limit of one bottle per person...and they put it on sale.

Awesome you got it for that price...absolute stupidity from a business standpoint.
  31. Unless EVERY customer went in and only bought that bottle and nothing else, I don't think it was stupid. They got more sales from (likely) each person who went in knowing they wanted that beer.
  32. Trilogy31

Just had a bottle and thoroughly enjoyed it thought not quite Abacus (sucaba) territory. Though i will reserve judgement until it has some time for the booze and... Booze to mellow out. The wood use is also a bit heavy handed though i do think this has the potential to be a truly world class barleywine.
    badb_rad likes this.
  33. I know, our bottle shops should totally be gouging their loyal customers every chance that they get. Go capitalism! Go America!
  34. The going rate is $16.99, $17.29 at the brewery. What I'm saying is...if you have a product that guaranteed to sell out, it's odd to sell it below the going rate.
  35. Touche, and good point. A much better counter arguement than the fit thrown by Opo.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  36. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (395) California Dec 17, 2012

This past Saturday, I drove all the way out to Sierra Nevada in Chico to grab a couple bottles of BA Bigfoot, and they were sold out... I call that road trip "200 miles to failure". Not to leave empty handed, I grabbed a couple bottles of Hop Harmony...
  37. Lmaooo. Yeah, that was just a silly reply he sent you. I saw the point you were making though and it's valid. They' would've sold out regardless. I just wish there was WF that got it by me, I would've swooped mine up for $12/ea instead of almost $20/ea.

It's been about a week since it released, I would've been shocked if they still had some. Good luck though finding it. I'm sure a few SF spots will have it for SFBW if you don't mind making the drive. Plus I guess Sac area stores may receive it this week
  38. I don't think I was necessarily throwing a fit, but I'm usually used to reading about people complaining about whales being marked up $5 or more at certain shops. I'd think a sale would be welcomed...? I know this will sell out in a day for $20 a bottle at the one local shop that does this, so if a beer is going to disappear within an afternoon regardless of price point, I'd rather have them be kind to their customer and not be greedy.
    FriarTuckInLuck and cjoc83 like this.
  39. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Any word on this hitting Philly?
  40. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Had to ask for it at a WF on Friday, guy brought up one bottle since it wasn't on display. Just assumed that was the limit. Didn't see it anywhere else over the weekend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.