1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Series

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pumpkin1, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Just wondering is this series out yet, and if so, what are your thoughts ? Are they mixed cases or all the same style? I am particulary interested in the imperial red ale!

2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Last year it was a 12-pack with 3 of each beer. I believe this year will be the same. I think I heard August release date.

HopsJunkiedotcom and pumpkin1 like this.
  3. Hey, Sierra Nevada just made a post on Facebook about this (about an hour ago from the time of this post):

4. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'm definitely looking forward to this.. last year's Beer Camp was nice.. but I wish they'd give their Juniper Black Ale its own release..

5. Any mention of ABV for the different beers? I'll be grabbing a 12 pack if I see it around..though the IRA is the only one i'm excited about

6. There doesn't seem to be any mention of ABVs.

7. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Nothing in that mixed case particularly excites me, but then again, I wasn't to excited about it last year and every beer was great. Definitely be picking it up again this year.

8. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

similar reaction from me. at first glance, each one is a style that "ehhhh, could be good, could be meh," but then i think about how great last years was and how great SN is in general, and think "yeah it should be good."

litheum94 likes this.
  9. bushycook

bushycook Savant (265) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

My thoughts exactly. Probably the best variety pack I've ever had, until the Westvleteren bricks come in.

10. Ill take the Floral IPA, but I thought I heard them mention something about a Smoked IPA in relation to Beer Camp.

fmccormi likes this.
  11. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Sounds pretty good. I'll pick it up if I can find a 12 pack in this ass backward state.

pumpkin1 likes this.
  12. This year, I'm going to just pick up a 12 pack (hopefully Wegmans has them)...last year I got a case, and I still have a couple of bottles of various styles left. Yeah...

13. Gee, more IPA's to try, can't wait

14. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

looking forward to this…still waiting for Southern Hemisphere to show up here though, so maybe by Christmas! :D

JoshJayne likes this.
  15. Very excited to try this mix pack, they all sound great to me. SN does it again!

16. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I actually like the idea of this variety pack. I hope to see them in my local grocery store.

17. I missed out on this series last year so I am so excited to hopefully see it here in PA!

Thanks for all the info! :p

TCaldwell likes this.
  18. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I'm looking forward to it again this year. In last year's every style was great, with the standout for me being the Weizenbock. I love the concept and I'm sure we'll all be pleasantly surprised again this year. ;)

morimech and Lantern like this.
  19. Very skeptical of the floral ipa, but I would give a 12 pack a try. And hopefully the impy pils is not too big and still drinkable.

Surprised they didn't (or haven't yet in other formats) jump on the farmhouse ale trend.

JCaweinstein likes this.
  20. HarrySTruman

The floral IPA is the one I am most skeptical of as well. The descriptions sounds kind of weird, but I'll still grab the 12 packs and see what's happening. There's always a chance my g/f will like it if I don't.

21. We did a Saison as part of the Ovila series which should still be on shelves in some markets, and our forthcoming collaboration BRUX with Russian River started shipping last week. It is a pale Belgian-inspired ale finished with Brettanomyces...very, very, dry almost farmhousy(?). (0.25 Plato FG) 8.3% ABV.

To the questions about ABV's

The Oatmeal Stout 9.0%
    Imperial Pils 5.9%
    Imperial Red Ale 8.1%
    Floral IPA 5.9%

Pack should hit stores by August.

-B

22. HarrySTruman

9.0 on the oatmeal stout makes me even more excited! Has SN released an Oatmeal Stout before? I don't ever recall seeing one.

23. Looking forward to trying the BRUX. Thanks for the heads up.

24. I was really hoping for cans this year, maybe next year. Seems like the perfect scenario for them.

66jzmstr likes this.
  25. I will definitely pick up a 12 pack or 2, or 3 .....

26. Cans would be awesome, but the thing with cans is...you have to buy the things by the semi-load...literally. The minimum run volume would be lower than the volume produced for the mixed pack so it's a tad impractical at the moment.

-B

TwelveOunces likes this.
  27. That makes sense and I figured if it was possible it would have already been done.

28. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I'm all over the Floral IPA and the Imperial Pilsner, too.

29. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Never been terribly disappointed in these variety packs. Can't wait.

30. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

The Imperial Red and the Floral IPA sound excellent in my head. Sierra Nevada doesn't make bad beer, so I'm looking forward to it.

Lantern likes this.
  31. I picked up last year's at the Wegman's in Malvern. I would think that the Wegman's in KOP and Collegeville will also offer it.

32. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

I think they might have mxed up the abvs
    I woudl have thought the that the oatmeal stout woudl have been 5.9 adn the imp pils 9.0

smutty33 likes this.
  33. I'm salivating at the 8.1abv Imperial Red. Can't wait. I just drank all my Southern Hemi's, delicious as always.

34. [​IMG]

Hmmm....Both the TTB bottle and keg labels have the Imperial Pilsner at 5.6%. Sierranevadebill?

35. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Kind of weird to call it an imperial, but goes to show you they can call it anything they like. That will be one strong Oat stout...

36. ABV Deflation? Well, given that Pilsner Urquell's 4.4%, is an additional 1.2 - 1.5% of alcohol enough to Imperialize a beer? Works for me (anything beyond that would seem to leave the concept of a "pilsner" behind).

mschofield likes this.
  37. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

ok I agree, it's the name that throws me, I sort of like to keep the imp for the RIS, since its history, and was meant for Royals, not to mean its stronger per say.

38. 5.9% is correct. That was my typo above. apologies.

Imperial is a bit of a misnomer in this case...didn't really know what else to call it really, it is stronger than a traditional pils and dry-hopped to bejeesus with Crystal and Pacifica hops...so it is a strongish dry-hopped pilsner. Doesn't really roll of the tongue, but hey, call it what you like!

-B

jtmiller03 and Lantern like this.
  39. I'm pretty excited to pick one of these up. Also excited to grab a bottle of BRUX after work today!

40. Jesus...again. 5.6% is correct. that is another typo. I'm apparently incapable of typing the correct ABV. 5.6, 5.6, 5.6.