1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Blindfold Black IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dmk91, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dmk91

dmk91 Aficionado (215) Virginia Dec 31, 2012

I was at a bar, and they had a special release Sierra Nevada Blindfold Blacl IPA. Was just wondering if anyone else had tried it and what they thought. The bartender said there were only 3 kegs in this whole region (SW Virginia). So I guess its a small release.

2. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

3. Broanoke

Broanoke Savant (420) Virginia Feb 23, 2013

Which bar? I live in that area.

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

This is on tap at the Kegstand in Des Moines. Gonna have to try it soon.

5. They had it at Beer Revolution on Saturday.
    I had it after spending 3:30 hours at the Imperial Stout Fest next door (BA Narwhal, BA ten fidy and Cognac BA Bear Republic Baba Yaga were not to be missed), so I wasn't the best judge of...well much, but i think it was pretty solid.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  6. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

This was on here in Hamden,CT. a couple weeks ago.Tried a sample,very tasty.
    I believe it is from the Beer Camp series.

Cheers

7. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Had this at Rhody Joes in Wakefield, RI last week. Thought it was a great black IPA.

8. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

That must be normal allocation for some of the "lesser" areas throughout the country. 3 kegs was all that came into Morgantown as well (I was told), and in fact it might have been all that came into the state. We don't get very many limited release beers here in Morgantown, so there was a lot of interest in this beer (the bar that got all 3 kegs - Apothecary Alehouse - noted that it sold like hotcakes). I thought it was pretty tasty, and was very sorry when the bar ran through their allocation.

9. montman

montman Savant (270) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

I had a glass of Blindfold this past Friday at 80/20 burger bar in Norfolk, VA.
    Had never heard of it at the time, looked it up later.

10. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Thought it was decent, but not great. As much as I love IPAs, a lot of the black variety aren't that impressive.

11. It was good and worth a try. I wouldn't go out of my way for it though. I gave it a 4/5. True, many of the black IPA's don't do it for me, but I continue to try them when I can. I think its a style that is still evolving so I give them a shot.

I also had it on tap at a bar. Limited release in OH as well.

12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

The best Black IPA I've ever had was Sabbath Black Ale.

13. I don't. I'm sure the OP knows he can check the reviews, but sometimes it's great to have an open discussion about a particular beer rather than reading someone's static review posted several years ago.

14. I thoroughly enjoyed 3 Floyds In The Name Of Suffering and Uintas Dubhe, so I will have to be on the look out for this. I can't imagine Sierra Nevada going wrong with this one.

dianimal likes this.
  15. dmk91

dmk91 Aficionado (215) Virginia Dec 31, 2012

Sharkeys in downtown Blacksburg

16. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

I had this at City Beer in SF last night and had to drink it quickly but didn't love it. I prefer the Black Racer and several other black IPAs.

17. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (625) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

that's where i tried it. Given the other Black IPAs on tap - Confluence Thomas Beck, Grainstorm, and Green Flash Odyssey - it isn't the best choice. Actually, it would be my last choice.

18. Really didn't care for this

19. huysmans

huysmans Savant (340) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

I had a sample at a local bar and it had almost no flavor. Sure, the sample was too cold, but the other things I sampled at the same time were also that cold and had much more aroma and flavor.

20. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (270) California Jun 13, 2006

i had a pint on friday night at Sublime Alehouse in San Marcos and thought it was tasty.

21. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

The place I had it at listed it as a Black Ale not a Black IPA. I didn't pick up any hoppiness in it & overall thought it was pretty meh.

22. I had a taster of it at my favorite local bar (ironically called The Local) and also thought it was pretty "meh" and proceeded to order a palate wrecker.

23. Well it's a "Beer Camp" entry so (correct me if I'm wrong) the recipe was made by a homebrewer and Sierra Nevada used their facilities and distribution.

24. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

I had it. It was gross.

Best. Review. Ever.

25. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

Sort of wrong. Beer Camp is a collection of people that are invited. Sometimes a group of beer enthusiasts, sometimes home brewers, sometimes specialty groups like all scientists. Basically they just help form a recipe with the SN brewers and then assist in making said beer.

sierranevadabill likes this.
  26. Thanks for the clarification