1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada: Hop Harmony

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by zappafrank, Jan 24, 2013.

1. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

2. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (590) New York Sep 21, 2012

I would buy it in a heart beat.

baconman91 likes this.
  3. i need to move closer to Chico....

flexabull likes this.
  4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

sounds delicious. is this hitting distro or part of their brewery audition beers?

5. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Is it me, or does the bottle somewhat resemble the Ruination 10th Anniversary bottle?

6. zappafrank

This whole week they are having a Hop growers/distributors/brokers conference in the Big Room, and each person was given a bottle of this. However, the extra dozens of cases will be sold in the gift shop.

It is delicious! Very floral, light mouthfeel, fresh tasting...

flexabull and badb_rad like this.
  7. Zaphog

Zaphog Poobah (1,055) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

ISO!!!

Rizalini likes this.
  8. zappafrank

Sort of; similar color scheme I guess...

9. I wonder what the minimum order of those silk screened bottles is?

10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Sure looks like it. Could it be a comment on the lack of balance in some of the competition's brews? Would be very unlike Ken Grossman to do something like that, but the resemblance is pretty hard to miss.

kojevergas likes this.
  11. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

first thing I thought of

12. Time to make the short road trip to Chico. Plus I can grab some BA Bigfoot.

badb_rad likes this.
  13. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

No distro?

14. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

They're out of BA Bigfoot at the brewery, if that changes your plans at all.

15. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

So only available at the brewery?

16. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

You can find at least a dozen people who will screen glass in very small quantities, like a case or less, in just about any city. I'm sure it wasn't hard.

17. Already?! Wow, that was quick. I guess I'll have to check and see if my local store got the BA Bigfoot. Thanks for the heads up.

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

I'm going the first week in April to check out Chico State for 2nd son, and of course, we will be going on a SN Brewery Tour! I'm stoked!

flexabull likes this.
  19. MLucky

Out of it at the brewery???? WTF?

Can I just whine and complain here for a minute? This confusion over distribution of special releases is starting to piss me off.
    On January 15, the day Stone Enjoy By IPA was supposed to drop, I visited four retailers who were all listed on the Stone website and being distro sites for Enjoy By. Every one of them told me they weren’t getting any, it wasn’t coming to the area, etc. In one case, the guy told me he wasn’t getting, and his distributor, who standing next to him agreed—and then two hours later posted on the place’s Facebook that they had it in! (He apologized, and I got a couple bottles. But still.) A day later, at another place, they told me they weren’t getting it in our region, and when I mentioned I’d bought it at another shop in town, she went in the stock room, looked around, and found it! If I hadn’t said anything it’d probably still be sitting there.
    Lately, I’ve been asking about BA Bigfoot. Nobody knows a damn thing about it. One guy told me he didn’t think it was shipping till March. And meanwhile, we see on BA that there are Whole Foods around the state that have it, and the brewery’s all out! And now we’ve got Hop Balance to throw into the mix. I’m afraid to even ask about this one.
    Seriously, is there some way from brewers, distributors, and retailers to get on the same page about this stuff? Would it be all that hard to send out a memo or something? I mean, record stores do it, right? If you ask when something is coming out and whether they have any copies on order, they can tell you. It can’t be all that hard. Just once, I’d like to walk into a bottle shop, ask about an upcoming special release, and have the guy go to a computer, turn around and say, “Yes, we’re getting four cases of that on such and such a date.” I think the surprise would probably give me a heart attack.

20. zappafrank

As far as I know.

21. In my experience, the beer buyers at alot of places don't seem to communicate too well with distributors or just don't know about EVERY beer the way alot of BA's do. There's a local liquor store here in Tracy that the guy will ask me if I'm looking for anything in particular to see if he can grab it because like he said "I mainly sell Pliny and Lagunitas". Occasionally people will buy other stuff but he doesn't need to go out of his way to grab things that will sit. He has DFH, Stone, Knee Deep, FW, etc. but the only things he's ever low on are Pliny and Lagunitas.

22. MLucky

That's my experience, too, and that's exactly what I'm complaining about. From what I can tell, the distributors have no idea what's going on with these special releases, so even if a retailer knows about them and asks, he doesn't get any info. Which means customers can't get any info. Which is lame. Maybe the breweries figure that special releases will sell regardless, so they don't care. But it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to set a system where retailers know what they're getting and when. If anyone cared.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  23. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

It's a question of prioritization. BAs view special releases as a priority. Breweries, distributors, and most retailers view profit centers as a priority - for most retailers and distributors, SNPA makes them a lot more money than BA Bigfoot will. There are some people at each level who go out of their way to secure special releases, but the beer industry doesn't exist to service tickers and beer geeks.

24. That's too simple though. Then it would have craft beer be a stress free hobby and you wouldn't have truck chasers. Seriously though, you're spot on. Luckily my local guy really tries to go out of his way to help get limited stuff. He got Abyss, BA Bigfoot, gets all the FW boxed beer, gets Bruery stuff, got a ton of Lagunitas sucks, and will ask if there's anything limited he may not know about so he can get from his distributor even going so far as calling his distributor on the spot to check. Does some sit for a while because hell order 3 cases of Abyss and all the geeks in town only buy 2? Yeah. But it sells eventually when you get some curious person in to buy Pliny and asks about other beer. Unfortunately sometimes the distributor has no knowledge about certain beers so we're left waiting to see if he can get it. I haven't missed out on anything I really want so far though. And have always been able to snag multiples. But I understand your complaint

25. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

If craft beer is causing you stress, you need to re-examine your pursuit of the hobby.

26. Craft beer doesn't cause me stress. I'm talking about the people chasing only whales and chasing trucks. My post wording might've been a bit off there

27. Seems kind of redundant. My hazy recollection from college was that Chico State was a SN Brewery tour!

QuakeAttack and flexabull like this.
  28. zappafrank

Pretty much. This school and town have a ridiculous drinking problem. CSU is a PARTY SCHOOL by all means. I don't think SN is the problem though, just engrained in the school and frats, etc..

29. Beautiful place and campus. It's a shame that the party atmosphere has tainted that place.

30. Last I heard they shut down the Greek system.

31. Not sure about that, I have friends who are currently in Frats/Sororitys. They have put a stop to several chapters tho.

32. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

As a Chico Alum, 99% of the student populace could give a shit about good beer (Natty Light was the poison of choice)... however, I kinda stumbled into craft beer because of its price point, when kegs of Celebration were $40 and kegs of Bud were $110. Keg stands of Celebration = awesome.

flexabull and afrokaze like this.
  33. ISO: $40 keg of celebration.

flexabull and SHODriver like this.
  34. zappafrank

No, they are shut down, just not for good. As of a few months ago, had to remove all letters from buildings, no on campus activities, etc. 4 deaths in 4 months will do that.

Yeah, I agree with the kids not caring about good beer. They just wanna get trashed. My post sort of made it sound like SN was a big part of the student drinking problem, and I don't think this is true.

35. This sounds good. Too bad it's limited.

36. Well they didn't exactly say if they were still legal or not, oh well ;) Thanks for the insight.

37. Picked up a Hop harmony today. $10 is a bit steep for a single IPA, but I am excited to try it.

38. zappafrank

I think you'll be impressed.

39. I am a grad from 98, I'll say this, they've worked really hard to change the stigma of Chico State being just a party school.

I know I really enjoyed my time there and got a great education too.

My memories are of a beer and an appetizer at Sierra back when that place was about a tenth of the size it is now. Also, $2.99 pitchers of any Sierra product at the Bear on Thursday nights for Bingo Bango Bongo was awesome too!

40. Yup. I often remember hauling ass after my last class on Thursday afternoon from U of Nevada to make it out to the Bear for that (and the rest of the weekend in Chico). Didn't they also have some ridiculous cheap SN pitcher deal on Wednesdays that incrementally went up as the night went on? ($2 happy hour, $2.50 the next 2, $3 etc. . . ).

As I've often said (and prolly mentioned at last year's March Madness to ya), I couldn't have graduated from Chico. 3 day weekends there killed enough brain cells in college.

For someone who likes beer, to be able to still buckle down and graduate from Chico . . . well, thats just as impressive as an Ivy League degree in my book.