Sierra Nevada - Hop Hunter IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Oct 22, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almostjay

almostjay Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Virginia

I'm still waiting for a lower ABV, relatively cheap beer to pull off the smells great and tastes great thing. This isn't a session IPA, but my issue with those is always the disappointment that sets in after the taste doesn't follow through on the aroma. I've been hoping that Hop Hunter can come through on that front, but your review has me concerned. Still anxiously awaiting this one to show up in my area though.

2. ksi4077

ksi4077 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2014 Texas

I really liked this one, and might throw it into my regular IPA "buy whichever is freshest" rotation, along with Two Hearted, Centennial, Sculpin and Fresh Squeezed. Nice and hoppy with an enjoyable finish, and the right ABV range for my habits.

Boca-X and SunDevilBeer like this.
  3. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Pundit (803) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

If you're looking for a good session IPA, try to find Fat Heads Sunshine Daydream. Not sure if they'll brew that in PDX but it's coming out in 12 pack cans this spring in Cleveland. The aroma and taste are both fantastic for a low ABV hoppy beer.

4. scottakelly

scottakelly Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Anxious to try Hop HUnter. I for one am glad that the abv is a little lower but not too low. Most IPAs to me really have a sweet spot, where "session" IPAs taste to thin and watery and a lot of DIPAs are too malty or, even worse, "hot" from too high an ABV.

5. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Official Press Release if you have not seen it ...

Chico, CA——Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is debuting two year-round beers in early 2015: the intensely hop-heavy Hop Hunter IPA and the sessionable Nooner Pilsner. The brewery will also unveil its newest spring seasonal selection, Beer Camp Hoppy Lager, for a total of three brand-new beers for craft drinkers to explore.

Hop Hunter IPA features oil from wet hops steam distilled in the hop field, minutes after harvest—for the first time, drinkers can taste wet-hop character year-round. This pure, powerful hop essence is used alongside traditional hops to create the ultimate IPA experience. Hop Hunter IPA will be available year-round in 12-ounce bottles and on draught.

Alongside Hop Hunter IPA, Sierra Nevada will introduce its first year-round lager with Nooner Pilsner. Nooner is a refreshing and aromatic German-style pilsner that’s easy-drinking yet full of spicy and floral hop flavor from the use of whole-cone European hop varietals. Available on draught, in six-pack bottles, and in twelve-pack cans, Nooner is the perfect way to kick off an afternoon of adventure.

Beer Camp Hoppy Lager rounds out Sierra Nevada’s new releases for early 2015. Beer Camp is the ultimate brewing experience. Sierra Nevada invites beer fans to the brewery nearly every week to create a collaborative beer, and each spring, they will release one of the highlights from the past year. This year’s hoppy lager is a reimagined encore of the hop-forward collaboration with San Diego’s Ballast Point that was a part of the incredibly popular Beer Camp Across America mixed pack.

“We’ve been incredibly busy designing and tweaking all of these new beers” said Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada’s founder. “Our brewhouses have been going round-the-clock perfecting the recipes and it has been really fun to explore the limits of hops. I’m really excited about the work we’ve done on Hop Hunter. We’re no stranger to experimental hops and hopping techniques, but developing distilled wet hop oil is unlike anything we’ve tried. The results are amazing.”

All of these new releases will be widely available throughout the Sierra Nevada distribution footprint and can be found using the brewery’s Beer Locator.

About Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Founded in 1980, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is one of America’s premier craft breweries, highly regarded for using only the finest quality ingredients. The pioneering spirit that launched Sierra Nevada now spans both coasts with breweries in Chico, California and Mills River, North Carolina. Sierra Nevada has set the standard for craft brewers worldwide with innovations in the brewhouse as well as advances in sustainability. It is famous for its extensive line of beers including Pale Ale, Torpedo®, Porter, Stout, Kellerweis® and a host of seasonal, specialty and limited release beers. Learn more at www.sierranevada.com.

# # #

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Hop Hunter IPA | What's Farm Distilled Hop Oil?

Hop Hunter IPA features the oil from wet hops that were steam distilled directly in the field, minutes after harvest, giving you incredible wet hop flavor year round.

LakerLeith likes this.
  7. BriantheBeerGeek

BriantheBeerGeek Zealot (585) May 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Still have yet to see this in SE PA (Lancaster County ) .

8. HazeofSpades

HazeofSpades Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2015

My new go to IPA. A complex hoppy profile with a strong body behind it. Packs a bigger punch than Lagunita's IPA and a little darker in taste than Racer 5 (2 of my favorite IPAs).

SINKTIPS_N_SUDS likes this.
  9. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

should be out in sixpacks very soon...I'm thinking about another week until I get it here

10. rpklein

rpklein Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2008 Virginia

Just had it on tap in Washington, DC. If it's as good in bottles...!!!

11. pinyin

pinyin Savant (1,065) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Still hasn't really made it to NY or PA. Patiently waiting to try this one. I think I may have walked past it at Whole Foods in NJ, not knowing what it really was. Never been much of a fan of Sierra Nevada's earthy hop profiles in the past. Most of their offerings tasted too much like medicine to my palette. Hophunter has me intrigued tho.

12. MN23

MN23 Devotee (353) Feb 11, 2015 Minnesota

Still no bottles of it in Southern MN, I was able to try it on tap about 3 weeks ago and it was great. The smell is like nothing else, as close to a handful of hops as you can get!

13. Mtj28

Mtj28 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Texas

This stuff is great

SINKTIPS_N_SUDS likes this.
  14. Cotchept

Cotchept Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Colorado

i was not a fan. smelled great but the taste fell flat

alanamato, Hophead21 and mccorvey like this.
  15. mccorvey

mccorvey Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina

I like it, but i agree that the smell is definitely better than the taste for me.

16. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I can't help but wonder what kind of experience those who are saying it lacks that hop "punch" have with wet hop beers. I'm ny experience, wet hop beers don't have that crazy bitter, pungent hop wallop, instead producing a much greener, almost vegetal or herbal hop profile.

And to me, Hop Hunter is spot on for the target that SN seems to have been going for. In fact, when I first read about this beer, I was a tad bit skeptical at the whole "wet hop beer year round" marketing, but it seems like that's exactly what it is. This may be my new favorite Sierra Nevada offering.

17. racer2k

racer2k Pundit (883) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

Where the heck is it in Massachusetts? My local go to beer shops said that it was not released by the local distributors as of last week but it was supposed to be available in early February. It is now mid-February and nowhere to be found. Any thoughts @sierranevadabill ?

Gemini6 likes this.
  18. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 California

going to go right over to the beer profile and check out your review. Whether you care or not, I really enjoy reading your reviews.

crob3888 and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Thanks man!

rather, crob3888 and LakerLeith like this.
  20. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Just finishing up a sixer, and I gotta say I was a little disappointed... But not in the flavor. It's got a fantastic wet hop flavor going for it: herbal, minty, grassy/vegetal, skunky, piney... Honestly, it reminds me very much of pot.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's how the beer was intended, but I find the feel and body to be a bit unbalanced. It's bracingly bone dry to me, with the malts falling way behind. Also, it's briskly carbonated and fairly effervescent. I find the resulting feel to be unnaturally light and over-crisp... It just doesn't sit quite right with me for the style. Criticism aside, I think it's still a pretty solid beer (I reviewed and rated it 3.81) that could use some body tweaks to put it over the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.