1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is here

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by ParchedNeedBeer, Apr 17, 2013.

1. An awesome beer from an amazing company. Looking forward to grabbing a four pack when it comes to RI.

SonnyHenry and Shogun730 like this.
  2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I had it on tap 2 weeks ago, and got a growler fill of it in Athens.

Was pretty good.. Tasted a bit smoother, and a bit thinner than last years, which I was happy to see.

The beer was pretttttyyyyyy good. Glad it's back.

3. I had this last year and it's spectacular, I can't wait to get some more.

4. Had a 'not so fresh' one last year....pumped to hit up a fresh batch!

5. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Shhh I just got some BIGFOOT. Hopefully it wont show up here for another month..

6. Per SN twitter Hoptimum now available in the taproom!

7. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Someone on this thread made the comment "F the haters"...or something like that. I was thinking why would anyone hate SN? If nimrods like that do exist, they either don't know much about beer, have an issue with them over something stupid that's not really about beer (like how SN "sold out" somehow because they got huge...and given your avatar, I think you know where I'm coming from), or they have deficient taste buds.

Madoo25 and cavedave like this.
  8. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

There was a thread a while back that I'm pretty sure was deleted about how Ovila Quad w/ Plums was a decent SN release, "finally" . . . it would've been okay if the dude was willing to acknowledge that he might have been in the minority, but when people jumped all over the thread (big surprise), he continued to argue that almost everything Sierra Nevada puts out is mediocre, okay, or bad. Except for Ovila Quad w/ Plums, I guess.

Sure, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who don't particularly care for most SN products. But dude was being a real douche about it and really failed at diplomacy / discourse. Oh, well. Takes all kinds, I suppose.

9. Sick picture man wintersun! but yea i still have not got the chance to try it as well.

10. I drank a growler of this last year. Felt like death the next day. Can't wait to get more.

11. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (225) California Mar 14, 2007

This had to be last year's keg.

PerdidoKeyBum likes this.
  12. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Thanks. Best metal band ever. (IMO)

13. The most dank tasing DIPA's Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker, love them both. Never got Wrecker this year, but I know Hoptimum will flow like a river in the next month. Love it.

14. I cant wait to try this.

15. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

HA! Same for my Total Wine. Saw some in about November and just figured I'd wait till next time.

16. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I loved it last year...but the 4-pack I picked up today will be the freshest I've tasted...just hit select Maine shelves today.

17. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

looks like I'll go make a quick trip to the store and see if they have it

18. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

Haven't seen it in North SF Bay Area yet

19. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but am I the only one who isn't crazy about Hoptimum? I'm a fan of SN too. I thought last year's was way more refined than the original batch that came in 24oz bottles, which was a good thing, but I guess it's still just not for me. I understand why everyone likes it though, it's a hardcore DIPA!

kojevergas likes this.
  20. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Yeah, it's weird... I've had two different people I know start saying things like "I think of SN like I think of Budweiser, their stuff's always around, it's nothing special." I got pissed off with both of 'em. "Really? So you think BA Bigfoot is on a level with Budweiser? Have you even tried it? How about Hoptimum, or Narwal? Or the Harvest fresh hop ales? Ovila quad? No? So then you admit you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about."

In retrospect, it was not cool to get on them so hard about it. But I just don't understand people who make just make assumptions based on... what? The fact that the beer is widely available and reasonably priced, and therefore can't possibly be as good as hard to find beer? Come on. for whatever reason, you don't care for SN's stuff, fine, I'd be interested in hearing about beers you prefer and why. But to just put down all of SN's output, without having tried anything more than SNPA? WTF?

SonnyHenry likes this.
  21. I still have some of last years, wonder if its any good? Only one way to find out... ;)

22. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

...and call me crazy, but I still think that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is damn good stuff...and I just love Torpedo. I haven't had anything but their year-round line-up...oh, and Celebration. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all.

SonnyHenry and craigo19 like this.
  23. SNPA is an icon. Its everywhere... It (and Boston Beer Co) paved the road for every tom, dick & harry to start brewing beer. On a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean? Most likely they have SNPA. A random gas station in the middle of no where? SNPA & its at a great price point. When a TV show or a movie wants to put a beer in someones hand during a scene, quite a few times its the iconic green label of a SNPA you see.
    Back on topic... I fricken love the art on the Hoptimum bottle!

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  24. Schultz

Schultz Aficionado (145) Maryland Jan 19, 2008

Yes sir I agree. They are the best!

25. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

IMO Hoptimum is better than a lot of this site's favorite DIPAs.

opwog, YogiBeer, Charlie_Hoss and 3 others like this.
  26. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

There is a choice other than Summerfest from SN and that is Pale Ale or Torpedo.

dar482 likes this.
  27. jminch

jminch Savant (400) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

Funny you say that. I drank a four pack quickly one evening and woke up the next day near death too. I didn't have any more Hoptimum the rest of the year. Ready to give it another go around, but with more caution.

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  28. oooooh I want one now! I've come to really appreciate SN more. After searching and trying so many, I recall how much I've enjoyed PA and cellared BF. I've taken it for granted, just think all the BF I could have aged since 09 when I first tried it. 2 years on it was amazing. Grabbed a 4pk right away this year to hide. I have to give Torpedo another try. Kicking myself for not grabbing Hoptimum last year.

29. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Something that I don't already buy plenty of year round.

30. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Very nice discussion

If I had to compare SN to anything, it would probably be Deschutes. Both have solid year rounds and amazing limited releases. You can't go wrong with any of these breweries offerings. (Torpedo is still my favorite session!)

Lol my experience with this brew as well. I drank a 4 pack of Hoptimum, a Serpents Stout, and another big beer I can't recall, WAY too quickly one night and ended up throwing up and feeling like death the next morning. Completely stayed clear of Hoptimum the rest of the year.

Can't wait for it to hit shelves in WA!

1Sundown2C likes this.
  31. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

The hops are so intense that they resemble alcohol heat. The beer confuses me.

32. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I remember the first time I got some. I drank one slowly and my friend gunned 2 right away. He could not even walk right after that and he had another one! Needless to say he got really sick later. Me I was fine. I sipped one and then switched to some SNPA for 2 pints.

33. lic217

lic217 Savant (470) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Any luck?

34. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

That's actually a characteristic I look for in better DIPAs, especially on the high end of the ABV spectrum. Rye spiciness and some hops character can really fold in some of that alcohol heat, in my opinion, so that blurring of the lines is something that the better examples of those huge, hoppy bastards often do.

35. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

That's what I personally don't like about it. It's too hot and boozy, imo. Some people like that, some don't. I haven't had this year's yet, I'll probably grab a single to see how it's drinking this year..

36. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Nothing spotted as of yet, i've tried the places around town. I'll need to check in the next town over. They usually get beers in a bit quicker than most.

37. FATC1TY

I asked, because I was weary of it. I too thought, no way... but the beer was extremely fresh. I had it a ton last year and this was pretty damn fresh.. Felt like eating hops when I drank it.

This wasn't a hole in the wall place though, It's a 100 point world class BA rating, that has stuff like Stone Enjoy By and whatnot on tap. I asked, and was told it was this years. I didn't see the date, but have no reason to think this place would have a year old keg of Hoptimum and be selling it.

38. FATC1TY

I drank a 4 pack one night, along with a bunch of other crap during a rehearsal dinner last year, and I thought I was going to die in the morning as well.

I think I slept in the shower... I took a few weeks off from Hoptimum, but it's a damn good beer worth keeping in the fridge.

39. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I agree and have the same plan

40. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (285) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

One of my favorite IIPAs made and possibly the most underrated IIPA out there. Can stand up to most anything in the style. Amazing brew and about to pour one myself :).

Shogun730 likes this.