Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is here

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by ParchedNeedBeer, Apr 17, 2013.

1. I appreciate the info. I will check out Anna's next time I'm down there. Perdido is tough for sure. Was estatic when I found Hopjacks Filling Station. Looking forward to checking out Ritchey's.

2. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (485) New York Feb 14, 2012 Verified

nice Justin, still waiting for both in NYC/LI

dar482 likes this.
  3. BadJustin

BadJustin Savant (290) New York Dec 18, 2010

Hey Mike! you guys got it yet down that way?

4. Just had my first Hoptimum. Honestly not that impressed. Although when it arrived on shelves in my area a couple days AFTER Double Trouble, it didn't really stand a chance. Not that Hoptimum is bad, but seems like every other beer I've had lately has been a home run.

5. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Talked to the SN rep yesterday, he said the GA release target is 5/20. But it may show up early.

6. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Advocate (505) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Anyone know if there are more runs planned? Picked up some yesterday (just arrived at Total Wine in Clearwater, FL) with a Date Code starting with"3085...", meaning March 26, 2013. That's 6 weeks ago.

7. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (385) California Jul 25, 2008 Verified

Probably. I believe last year they did 3 bottlings.

8. There are many more batches planned. I just got out of a meeting where we were discussing just this topic. Should be brewing continuously to ensure beer is in-stock until August.

-Bill

9. Stugotzo

Thanks Bill!

10. rboinski

rboinski Savant (315) California Mar 19, 2012

Found a single in Napa Whole foods, like it more than last year

11. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

I can't believe I still can't find it near me only a few hours from the source... If it's the first bottling, by the time I get it, it's already going to be 3 months old LOL...

12. DeviousSpirits

DeviousSpirits Savant (285) Michigan Mar 23, 2009 Verified

Champane's in Warren has this on special for $7.99 - just scored a four pack and the last sixer of Short's Anniversary Ale wheat wine.

13. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (275) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

made it out to northwest Indiana. Great stuff!

14. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (315) California Mar 5, 2013

It seems different than last year though. More malty....still delicious but different

15. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (485) New York Feb 14, 2012 Verified

Haven't heard of any Hoptimum hitting yet... Parabola is slowly trickling in (but not much to go around)

16. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

First off I'm not a big SN fan.Not a hater,I'm in SAC and I want to like it but never really got into it.I was not impressed with Torpedo.But I had quite a bit of Hoptimum last year.And yes it did usually taste pretty hot.Drinking a 4 pack would probably kick your butt but for the price I kept drinking it.Lots of bang for your buck.I haven't looked yet so I don't know if it's here in the sticks of SAC (90 mi from Chico).But we had a lot last year like I said so I expect there will be plenty once it finally gets here.

17. Hatzilla

As the months go by be sure to check bottle dates..I had some 6 month old Hoptimum last year that was barleywineish, not bad but a completely different animal.

18. Benish

Benish Advocate (650) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013 Verified

Had my first bottle and it was Delicious!!! It was dated March 26 but didn't seem to matter at all. I love the bitterness this beer gives. Going to buy some more upon my next visit to the liquor store:)

19. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (735) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012 Verified

It just hit in Central Ky. Bottle date March 19, dafuq?

20. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Crazy that the release for this is so staggered around the country. We got it in North Dakota a month ago. So delicious.

21. Kadonny

Kadonny Advocate (695) Pennsylvania Sep 5, 2007 Verified

Showing up here in PA, in fact I just secured a sixtel of it. It's going to be good......real good.

22. Stugotzo

They make this in 6-packs for sale in PA? Only 4-packs here in Florida.

23. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Champion (970) Pennsylvania Apr 4, 2009 Verified Subscriber

1/6 Kegs. =Sixtel(about 2 cases worth of beer)

24. Stugotzo

Ahhhh. Thanks.

25. Kadonny

Kadonny Advocate (695) Pennsylvania Sep 5, 2007 Verified

2 and 1/2 to be a little more exact ;)

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  26. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (650) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Pretty sure that is par for the course for SN beers being in all 50 states and everything. For instance, we received 2012 Celebration (fresh as hell) two weeks before SN officially said on their facebook that it was being shipped out.

27. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (610) California Aug 13, 2011 Verified

Hoptimum does not need to be fresh to be enjoyed. It is so malty and bitter and alcoholic. It is not one of those delicate Double Ipa's.

That shiz will still be tasty deep into september.

28. I agree!

Kreko7 likes this.
  29. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Advocate (720) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2009 Verified

Picked up a 4 pack on Monday. Drank 1 bottle so far. Definitely a good purchase.

30. RangnaR

I just picked up a 4 pack of Hoptimum today at the Roseville TW & wouldn't you know, just like I Initimated in my previous post, they were bottle dated 3/26. I don't understand why it took almost 2 months to travel just a few hours distance. I had a fresher Hoptimum in the past that had a wonderful tropical fruit note on the nose & in the hop flavor to balance the bitterness, but what I had today was more malty & bitter with barely anything fruity or citrusy about the nose; just seemed more malty/bitter without the usual west coast hop definition to it. Why can't I get fresh Hoptimum just a couple hours away from Chico!!??

31. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (405) California Mar 19, 2012

I just picked up a 4 pack in Sunnyvale BevMo. Wow. Double wow. While I didn't check the bottle date, it was exactly as you described (as in fruit note to offset the bitterness). If you could take the smell of hops and transfer it to your taste buds, this would be the beer.

32. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I really enjoy Hoptimum. Especially for the $9-$10 price point. Hard to find a beer of this quality so widely available and at a price point like that.

33. grabbed some of this last week. I'm definitely hooked its a little strong on the alcohol but the taste is really great.

34. JohnQ

None at Bevmo Natomas.Anybody anybody?

35. Hatzilla

SF Bevmo Van Ness got it in, grabbed two four packs, bottled May 1st.

36. Whole Foods Sacramento has it.

37. Topher78

Topher78 Savant (390) California Jul 8, 2011

I'm usually not a big fan of whole cone hop IIPA's but this year's version of Hoptimum is excellent. Very happy that I decided to take another chance on it this year.

38. RangnaR

Just curious for all the people that have any Hoptimums right now what their bottle date is. Every one I've seen is 3085 (March 26th, I believe). Was wondering if a more recent batch has been released since...

39. LMT

LMT Savant (365) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

3085 here. Purchased in northern VA on May 10th (the same day it hit this bottle shop).

Very tasty, though.

40. JohnQ

Found a couple 4 paks at TW Arden yesterday with date (you guessed it )3085.As I was walking past the singles shelves I spotted 3 loose ones.They had 3121 so May 1 I guess.So I took 3 of the 4 older ones out and put them the newer ones in my pak :).I'll try and do a "vertical" of the 2 different dates see what I find out.

And I was going to bash on TW but I guess it's everywhere.What's with all the old brew ? I mean everywhere I go I see Palatte Wrecker from December ? Also some other strange anamolies.WTH.