1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Sierra Nevada Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by bifrost17, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Haven't seen any lately, but I've bought plenty here. Where'd it go???

2. the Narwhal name has been confirmed with a label. check out BeerPulse for more info.

3. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I havent had Fritz and Kens but from the reviews i read it sounds a bit like an non-ba version of abyss.

4. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

There's some truth to that, though I think Abyss has a lot more licorice flavor, especially when fresh. Fritz and Ken's has almost a pretzel flavor, at least with two years of age on it.

dsal89 likes this.
  5. dsal89

Awesome! Im even more excited for it now!

Anyone think it will be like Bigfoot and be cellarable for ages?

6. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

the big deal about fritz and ken's for me was the velvety mouthfeel. flavor is a nice balance of roasted malt and chocolate/coffee, very homey and good stout flavors.

was my favorite of the 30th series (all of which i liked), and also i think it was better fresh (i drank my last bottle a couple months ago i believe). still have the grand cru and black barleywine aging though, both of which i think will have better aging results than the stout.

Retail1LO likes this.
  7. dsal89

Pushed back to October. Dang

8. mikehblack

mikehblack Savant (250) California Feb 10, 2010

I really like the current state of Sierra Nevada. Hoptimum is great, can't wait for Narwhal, Bigfoot in bigger distribution will be awesome plus a BA version. Oh, and I quite enjoyed Ruthless Rye as well.

RBassSFHOPit2ME and Stumpy29er like this.
  9. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (340) New York Dec 23, 2010

10. The oatmeal stout was probably my favorite beer in beer camp this year. I'm sure this new stout will outdo beer camp,though.

11. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

respect.

12. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

About time if you ask me. SN makes just about every style under the sun. I will be glad to drink an imperial stout made by them—especially if it tastes anything like the anniversary imperial stout they released a couple years ago.

chuckstout likes this.
  13. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (235) Ohio May 22, 2006

I love imperial stout, but not in the summer. I like a glass on a super cold winter night!

14. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

this is great news. always wondered why SN didn't have a year round imp stout

15. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Love the name! Can't wait to try this and BA bigfoot!

16. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

"Sierra Nevada will ship a new imperial stout dubbed Narwhal this September."

Even Sierra's not immune to the whales craze! But seriously, very much looking forward to this. If it's priced along the lines of Bigfoot, it's a no-brainer for a cellar experiment.

17. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

If it's as good as the oatmeal stout in the Camp package, I'm in.

dsal89, Onizilla and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  18. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

FWIW, I really thought the Beer Camp Oatmeal Stout had no business being over 6% ABV. Really took away from the nice thick oatmeal stout characteristics.

19. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I popped my Black Barleywine a few months ago and don't think it's going to be getting too much better than it is right now. I'd drink it before the end of the year for sure.

20. It is drinking amazing right now. Ive got a few so im holding on to a few to see what happens, but yeah if i only had one it would be a tough decision right now, it may not get any better, but also i never thought it would be as good as it is now. Decisions decisions.

21. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Excellent news! That 30th anniversary stout left me wanting more.

22. zappafrank

Yesterday at the pub SN had a delicious cask-conditioned Vanilla Bean Porter. I could drink about 1,000,000 of those. So good. Cask stouts and porters are the best!

But they also had $8 onion rings. WTF? It was mainly dough and not even a whole onion. Never ordering those again.

23. anyone have any updates on a more specific release date for Narwhal? I would be equally as interested in any updates on a release for a BA Bigfoot if that info is out there somewhere.

24. chadb

chadb Aficionado (110) Connecticut Nov 23, 2008

October release for Narwhal. Each of the big three will have 4 months so should be beginning of 2013.

25. That sucks this year I picked up a bottle for $2 ($12 a 6 pack) now they will be 2.50 a bottle. That is little disappointing especially since this is one of my all time favorites. For the price it was a steal now I'm not so sure.

26. Has anyone seen this in MA?

27. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I'm looking forward to this too and I'm not a big SN guy. Their 30th Anniversary Stout and Grand Cru (the oak-aged blend) were amazing, so if this is the recipe from the 30th Stout then it will be amazing.

28. zappafrank

Hasn't been bottled yet.

29. I haven't been this excited for a Sierra Nevada release since...well...ever. For the love of Christ, get this shit in a bottle already and give us a date!

Stouttyme, bifrost17 and pschul4 like this.
  30. I guess I was just a wee bit premature with my question.

31. Haven't had a bad beer by SN, I'm sure this one wont disappoint!

32. zappafrank

Narwhal is currently in stores and is delicious!

33. C'mon man....that's a little vague. lol

34. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

I would love to see a picture or something. I have yet to see a picture or a box or a case or even a review of it anywhere. Sierra also usually makes a Facebook post showing them bottling it with an update on it's releasing.

I'm guessing late October for this one, unfortunately.

35. Hot damn! I assume it'll take a week or two to make it to San Diego. You hear that, liver? Your days are numbered.

36. Great. Now if we could trouble a couple people to review it.

37. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Hope this hits Texas in the next month or so. I want it so so bad

JohnBender likes this.
  38. [​IMG]

dsal89, DonDirkA and BasterdInABasket like this.
  39. thank you. never had a problem with it until that post for some reason.