1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gatornation, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

I talked to Scott at the Specs in Round Rock today and he said they would have Narwhal next week. I'm going to pick at least 2 4pks up!

2. It's good to see SN put out this stout. We didn't get too many beer camps, but we got this... fare trade right??!! :D

3. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (675) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Picked up some in SE Michigan yesterday. $10

mlefevre, Zaphog and JohnB87 like this.
  4. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Well i was surprised at this one. It was better than i expected. biiter but maybe that will calm after a few months/years. at $10/4 pack i def will put some away for next year

5. Drinking Narwhal now. Got it near Detroit, MI. Pretty good, but not as great as I was expecting. I normally LOVE everything from SN.

FEUO likes this.
  6. Just polished off a four pack and feeling pretty good.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  7. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (485) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Binnys in Champaign had it today for $10 a four pack. Gottabe in Chicago this week

8. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Zealot (90) California Sep 9, 2012

Anyone in SoCal (South Bay) seen Narwhal on the shelves?

9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

This "Excellent" beer, deserves better than current BA 89 "Good' rating. This beer drinks like liquid silk.

Pinche_Oso likes this.
  10. Awesome beer and $8.99 an amazing price. Going to drink many of these the next few months. SN does it again!

11. agorsuch

agorsuch Zealot (75) Michigan May 17, 2012

We'll have it at our Store - The Produce Station in Ann Arbor, Michigan
    for a fair price by this Friday.............
    Comment here and we'll save some for your!

12. This beer is epic my fellow BA's. The hype/anticipation rings true. Ill be building a vertical of this for sure, if i dont drink what i can get.

agorsuch likes this.
  13. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (485) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Tastes great, but it's got a little heat...few months in the cellar may even it out a bit. That or I need to take my panties off before I start drinking

14. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

this beer kicks ass.

15. Eagerly awaiting it's arrival in Denver...

tylerzombie likes this.
  16. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Eagerly awaiting in FL...

17. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Saw this a couple weeks ago in Warren, MI. Passed on it as I hadn't heard anything about it (until I got home and saw this thread). :mad:
    Likely going to regret it and haven't seen it since.
    I guess my initial thought was that since they put a whale on the label are they insinuating that their beer is a whale? You can't call yourself that, right? :rolleyes:

18. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Finally got the chance to drink it tonight. It's definitely a solid stout, and at this price, you can't go wrong.

19. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Drank the other night and could not believe the quality for the price. Alcohol presence was next to nothing compared to other 10+ abv stouts and wasn't beyond the point where I could easily drink two bottles without remorse. I will be getting more and more of this until it is sold out and replaced with Bigfoot!

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  20. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

Got some last week, they rock!

21. Got some today via HoistinBrews and the UPS guy !!!
    Thank you man...Since NY state got shut out glad to receive this one .......

22. is it out yet?

23. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

I hope so or I purchased a fake beer pack from a store I trust...

BaltimoreBeerGuy and SatlyMalty like this.
  24. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Enjoying my 2nd 4pk this week,so decent at the $10 price tag.

25. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (260) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

im waiting for this to hit chicago

funhog and jhillwastaken like this.
  26. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

This is most definitely a badass beer that'll be penalized for the low degree of difficulty involved in obtaining it. I'm gonna drink and cellar the hell outta this stuff. $8.99 at my local shop...

keithmurray likes this.
  27. Word. Or Old Rasputin needs to be knocked down 10 points. That's one of the most overrated beers on here IMO and the fact that Narwhal is so similar but executed so much better (I think "liquid silk" is dead on) and rated 6 points lower is crazy.

founder26 likes this.
  28. I have to respectfully disagree (I am having my first Narwahl as I type this) and I agree it is a solid RIS but it is not at Old Raspy's level.

randin, Handle, funhog and 1 other person like this.
  29. I can't wait for this to hit the shelves. Big fan of SN.

30. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Really digging SN's recent labels. Very excited for this one to come out! I can't wait to stock up on it!

31. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I might have to crack open an Old Ras tonight and revisit it. I had my 2nd Narwhal last night, and still think it's fantastic. It is like liquid silk. Creamy mouthfeel on it, hits everything I want in a stout. I just don't have many O.R.'s set back in my cellar. First world beer problems I know.

I'll report back tonight with my opinion.

zappafrank likes this.
  32. I was surprised that that we ran out of The Dissident as quickly as we did. I still see The Stoic around town. And The Abyss usually lasts 6 months.

33. Yeah I was sad about that, I didn't get a chance to snag a bottle of The Dissident. And yeah I know what you mean, the Kelly's by my house still has over a case of The Stoic.

34. I got one and am regretting not picking up another... oh well. We have Chainbreaker and Odell's Deconstruction on tap in town now. I can't complain too much.

35. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I almost saved the bottle because it's very cool. The beer is really good, too, and I bet it'd be great after 6-12 months to smooth out the bitterness.

36. I thought this was supposed to be of similar production volume of hoptimum? I pose that question because hoptimum still sits on the shelves and I've yet to see narwhal ANYWHERE! What gives?!

37. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think this has made it to chicago yet. At least, every place I go says they should be getting soon (one of these days).

38. I had to go to 3 stores on last Friday to get a 4 pack. First two had gone through all of em in 2 days.

Well worth It though, awesome stout!

39. augustg

augustg Savant (290) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

Solid beer. Worth the pickup.

40. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

There was a ton at Binny's Lincoln Park yesterday evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.