1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gatornation, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Yeah just picked up a four pack at Binny's Grand this morning.
  2. Let this one warm. It gets much smoother near 65-70 degrees (room temp).
    Bitterbill likes this.
  3. They are probably waiting to see if Hoptimum will sell out before pulling it for Narwhal. The same thing is happening out here in SoCal.
  4. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

Just picked up some tonight can't wait to try it
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

12 oz bottles will be a nice size on this.
  6. I figured the same thing and if that is the case, then that's shit. I'm not buying a DIPA that's at least 3 months old.
  7. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Looks like I will have to go buy some Hoptimum now, just so I can get some "liquid silk"
  8. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (305) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

Anyone seen this in Indiana?
  9. neeko530

neeko530 Zealot (85) Indiana Oct 17, 2012

i work at a liquor store down in broad ripple and we've had it for three weeks now
  10. Good stuff. Scary drinkable. I almost wish it had a bit harsher edge so I didn't kid myself last week into thinking that "a couple more" was a good idea.
  11. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Any spottings in the SE Michigan area?
  12. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

Yes, they have it in Wastenaw county but not in Wayne that I have seen
  13. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Western Oakland county has it
  14. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (305) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

Thanks for the info. I'm in Fort Wayne so ill have someone bring me up some.
  15. randin

randin Disciple (55) California Apr 14, 2010

I think you're obscenely incorrect, sir. Old Rasputin is heavy and rich with a creamy head & tastes of copper; Narwhal turned out to be flat with taste of malt and a weak head that quickly dissipated. I was disappointed with Narwhal to say the least
  16. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Tried it last night and I was fairly impressed! Not the flavor profile I was expecting but SN has shown they can make an imperial stout with the best of them. I loved the aftertaste of it as well.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  17. Has anyone seen Narwhal in north/central NJ yet?
  18. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Found some! Very good. Had it about 45-50 degrees and it was good. It packs a bit of a punch.
  19. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Just found some in Columbus. First I've seen it around the usual bottle shops.
  20. Widely available in Cleveland. Landed 11/9 I believe.

Top notch stuff at a very reasonable price ($9.99 4-pak)
  21. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Try 7 months old.
  22. Grabbed some of this last week and cracked my first on Sunday night. I thought it was a great evening sipper. And the 12oz format doesn't hurt it either. May grab some more for the upcoming cooler months.
  23. This!
  24. headie628

headie628 Disciple (70) Ohio Oct 3, 2010

Ordered a sixtel of it for the restaurant I work at, got sent back two days later. There was a crazy amount of yeast and tasted off. Rep said it was the 3rd one he had to pick up with the same problem... Hoping to try some bottled.
  25. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (300) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

I love it when my beer tastes like pennies instead of the grain upon which it was based. But seriously- different strokes for different folks. Perhaps both are right and just like different things?
  26. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (400) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Secured mine and it is sitting in the beer fridge. How long will I be able to hold out?
  27. Finally got my hands on a couple 4 packs last week. Wow! This is kick ass beer. Much better as is warms up. Wish this was available year round. Think i will put in a request.
  28. Enough about narwhal. Let's talk about celebration and northern hemisphere harvest. I just picked up both. Yay for SN wet Hop ales! Weeeee! :D
  29. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Fucking delicious! One of the best easy to find and cheap stouts available for me. DANG THAT'S GOOD.
  30. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Freakin' finally Narwhal shows up in my area.
  31. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Yeah I was so happy when I found this on Friday. Drank 2 already. One sorta cold and one really cold. I actually preferred it really cold over the slightly cold.
  32. Has this hit FL yet?
  33. In VA?
    I've been asking in Richmond for weeks to no luck.
  34. Picked up a 4-pack last week in CT. Definitely does not seem to be widely available though. Looking forward to trying it; perhaps this weekend.
  35. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Southeast VA at Whole Foods, yessir.
  36. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I keep thinking I will see this "tomorrow" in IL, but this has been going on for about 3 weeks (at least it seems like that long).
  37. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Imagine your frustration if you lived in California and you couldn't get this when the rest of the country seems to be enjoying it already... yea, that's my frustration!!! :mad:
  38. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Finally got this in North Haven CT yesterday, i got the 1st 4 pk at 2pm and they were sold out by 4pm, tried it last night and its pretty damn tasty.Hope you all get it soon....CHEERS
  39. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Closest place for you would be in Chicago at Grand & Western Armanetti's. I stumbled into Binnys Chicago South Loop (Canal St) for some SN Celebration and fell backwards when I saw 7 cases of Narwhal. Not every Binnys has it. South Loop gets all the firstfruits. Picked up a case. It is a fantastic brew for the price. Of course call ahead. Good Luck!
  40. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (320) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

For those who have had it, how would you say it compares to Old Rasputin?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.