1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gatornation, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

Ship me a bottle someone...

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I like it better than Old Raspy. In my opinion, Narwhal is more balanced and less in your face, but still has a great flavor profile.

3. nriech

nriech Savant (405) Virginia Mar 9, 2005

Had it on tap, awesome beer.

4. guess I'll try Whole Foods then...still have never been in one.

on a different, interesting note, I found some CCB Maduro in VA today!

5. where on tap in Richmond?

6. SN Narwhal has been available in Charlotte, NC for 3-4 weeks now. Haven't tried it yet, but planning to this weekend. I'll keep you posted! Cheers.

7. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (295) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

It's been since last January I've had Rasputin. So I'm going to put it this way...I finished a 4pk of Narwhal and found another store that had cases of it and got me one. I didn't do that with Rasp... Now, in saying this, I need to revisit an old friend and give him another chance this weekend.

8. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Very good brew. I easily had 2 back to back and could've had more if I really wanted to. The coffee and chocolate notes were delicious and the ABV was masked very well; even fresh. I'd buy again.

9. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Lincoln Park and Lakeview both have it as well.

10. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Is it better/comparable to Founders RIS?

11. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

or Brooklyn.....for 2 bucks more per pack?

12. I have to find it. I have looked everywhere within an almost 50 radius...

13. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Comparable but not better. If muzak were good - it'd be the muzak of FIS.

JKIRBY likes this.
  14. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

Still waiting for it to arrive in Austin.

15. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

I don't think Austin is getting any... I grabbed a couple 4-packs when I was in Houston last week. My opinion: If you want a non-local RIS, save your money for the GD Oak-Aged Yeti or hit up Hyde Park Grocery for some 2010 Ten Fidy.

16. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Good analogy, and confirms that I don't need to seek this out. I'll stick with Founders RIS for my regular stout choice.

17. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Don't get me wrong - narwhal is really good. But yeah, if I saw the two on the shelf I'd reach for the FIS. Since their releases are a good three months apart, narwhal could definitely serve as a lead up beer to FIS.

18. snowy

snowy Aspirant (40) New Hampshire Jul 2, 2012

I think Narwhal is a fine RIS, but it doesn't touch Old Rasputin imo. And the pricepoint is high. I can get O.R. for $8.75 / 4PK, as opposed to roughly $13.00 for the SN. I don't mind paying $13 for FBS, but it's much for SN.
    All of these stouts improve as they warm, but to my pallette anyway, Old Raspution is the most complex and definitely my personal favorite. Simply an amazing RIS.

19. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

13 bucks? I know it's only a few dollars, but I paid (and have been seeing quite regularly) $9.99.

20. $9.99 for Narwhal and $9.99 for Raspy here

szmnnl99 likes this.
  21. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Still haven't seen this in TN as of yet...

22. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

My local Total Wine has Narwhal priced at $8.99! IT was a steal.

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. 8.99 for Old Raspy and 9.99 Narwhal here. Old Rasp on nitro is hard to beat but I think by bottle comparison, Narwhal is superior.

24. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

You said it. It's only solid. Not extraordinary. Sierra Nevada has a knack for creating beers that are good and often quintessential representations of the respective style, but, with the exception of a few, in my opinion, not great.

25. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

Unfortunately this is seeming more and more likely. I've been calling Specs about once a week and every time the beer guy says the rep he's been talking too prolongs the date every time. So he's basically given up. I still have some hope it'll show up, fingers crossed!

26. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

I don't think that this is that great. Has a big burnt malt taste to it. There are better Imperial Stouts IMHO. Not worth the hype.

27. nriech

nriech Savant (405) Virginia Mar 9, 2005

NOVA actualy. Cant rememer the name of the place but sister to Churchkey

28. I enjoyed this a lot, it tastes like chocolate syrup.

29. JeremiahJohnson

JeremiahJohnson Initiate (20) Nov 19, 2012

I loved this beer, especially for $10.99.

30. Narwhal is a great stout! We have had no trouble getting it in the Midwest. Probably one of my favorite stouts for the money and availability!

31. Founders RIS is probably my favorite, easy to find RIS. Narwhal is damn good in my opinion. The smell is amazing. It's a little hot right now but still delicious. I'm going save a couple for a few months and see what it does. I let mine sit on the counter in the bottle for about 45 minutes and it was perfect.

32. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Was this released in October? I still haven't seen it. I'm in So Cal, btw.

33. It sure does suck living close to Sierra Nevada lately. No Celebration Ale, no Narwhal . . .

34. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Narwhal has been all over SE WI for the last month, and is a great beer. I went with one 4 pack for $9.99, but have now gone back to Storm King 6ers at 10.99. My favorite widely available IS.

35. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

where?

36. It's still missing in the LA area.

37. Where are you looking? Try Total Wine. I'm is West LA and I've gone through about 5 4packs. I see your Avatar is UCLA, try Beverage Warehouse in Culver City. Was just there today and picked 1 up, they had about a case left. BevMo might be worth a look too also. Good luck.

38. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

39. Richmond...couldn't believe it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.