1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gatornation, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

This beer is fantastic. Sierra Nevada keeps turning out the great tasting, lower priced beers. Gotta love it.

2. How does Narwhal compare to the stout that was in the Beer Camp pack? Also, would you purchase Narwhal over FBS (prices are the same for both)? I realize they aren't the exact same style but I personally don't really know the difference as I don't drink too may stouts.

3. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Dang I was just at Woodmans in Kenosha and didnt see any. Is it there now? I still havent seen this in the far-NW suburbs.

4. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

I picked mine up at the Woodman's in Menomonee Falls. I have also seen it at Woodman's in Oak Creek, and Consumer Beverage on Hwy 100 in Hales Corners. Come to think of it... also at a Sendiks in Oak Creek. I'm in Franklin so all of these locations are close.

I know the Consumer Beverage was late in getting as they are still pushing Hoptimum for 9.99, but they just recently stocked Narwhal also. Like I said though, I bought that 4 pack when I first saw it, and that had to be a month ago at least. Good luck!

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

thanks Flyway!

6. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Talked to the Sierra Nevada Rep in CO recently, unfortunately doesnt' look like we'll be getting much. He said 8 kegs or so, which doesn't sound like we'll even see it in stores, just in bars around Denver probably. I hope they eventually release more. Of all the great beers I had at the Parade of Darks this weekend in Denver, I'd say that one was one of the very best.

7. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Founders is a bit better. I don't know how to describe it. More flavor profile, more malt, more stout like. Maybe it's just bias but Narwhal tastes more mass-produced. Not sure, it's still a very awesome beer though.

8. Is this beer worth the chase?? Ive been told by my local they were recieving it the first week of nov abd still have not seen it anywhere around..does anyone in central nj know where to find this??

9. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I was lucky to buy a 4 pack (My store only got a case of it and won't be getting any more). I can say this one IS well worth the hype, and is a great beer. For $10 bucks you get an amazing imperial stout. I love the balance of classic roast, coffee and chocolate, and it's not overly sweet. I really hope they make more in the future to meet the high demand.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Loved it. Very good balance with the coffee coming through a little more than the chocolate. Still like Old Rasputin better, but close...

11. I still haven't seen this far-NW suburbs of Chicago yet. I'm contemplating throwing up an ISO for it at this point.

12. kagent777

kagent777 Savant (260) Utah Dec 6, 2009

This beer just showed up in SLC this weekend. The most insulting thing is that they want 4/ bottle. This is listed under the Hoptimum SKU, and that was the same price here. I got one bottle. (BTW, everything is sold by the bottle in Utah.) A 16 dollar 4 pack. And Old Rasputin is about 1.60 a bottle, 6.40 a 4 pack. This state is going to drive me to home-brewing.
    Cheers!

13. No. I would purchase FBS over Narwhal, any day. I wish it was an option for me. I wasn't super impressed with Narwhal. It is good, but too roasty and one dimensional. I won't be buying Narwhal. I am glad I got to try it for free.

14. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

The narwhal is a hot mess fresh... one of my least favorites of my favorite style. I'm hoping age will improve it and provide some depth.

15. Yikes, Narwhal is $9.99 in SoCal.

16. huolij79

huolij79 Zealot (85) Colorado Dec 1, 2012

woah ho!!!!! can't wait

17. huolij79

huolij79 Zealot (85) Colorado Dec 1, 2012

narwal by itself was a complete letdown so i'm hoping this will be great

18. +1 couldn't agree more

19. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

great stuff!

creepinjeeper likes this.