1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by dfecteau, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dfecteau

dfecteau Savant (405) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2009

Hello BA,

Has anyone seen Ruthless Rye around yet in Eastern Mass? Not sure when it was supposed to hit stores, but seeing that most of the Celebration Ale is gone, I figured it should be soon.

Best,
  2. Redstone just posted they got some in today!
    Ganglani likes this.
  3. Celebration is gone? Seriously? This is worse than the sam adams spring pack release.
  4. Julios has cases
  5. Its so awesome that the long harsh winter is over and spring is finally here. I'm going to tune up my lawnmower this weekend.
  6. dfecteau

dfecteau Savant (405) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2009

Really? No reason to be a DB. Just seeing if it was out yet. Oh yeah, I forgot, your above this. My bad. Nice helmet!
  7. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Don't think it was a shot at you, but more directed at the ever-increasing early arrival of seasonal beers.
    Horbar, MarkF150 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  8. Looking forward to doing some spring yardwork tomorrow ....plant some flowers, put down some mulch, then relax with some Ruthless on the porch while tending to the smoker.
    Horbar likes this.
  9. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

It's their Q1 release. It's Q1 right?
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  10. mass on mass crime.
  11. Wow it took 6 posts before someone got all pissey. Must be everyone's new years resolution to not jump down someone's throat for no reason
  12. I saw it at Trader Joe's in West Hartford, CT last week.
  13. aibkstaff

aibkstaff Aficionado (175) New York Aug 17, 2005

You know Sierra Nevada stole the name Ruthless Rye IPA from Barrier Brewing, and they stole the name Narwhal from Narwhal brewery. What a company... Full of unoriginal DB's
  14. We have both Celebration and Ruthless Rye at Acton Wine & Spirit Co.
  15. Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Weisse: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/5436

First reviewed in 2006. Barrier Brewing established in 2010, so Barrier obviously stole the Ruthless moniker from Sierra Nevada.
    digita7693, Horbar and jamvt like this.
  16. Well done, well played, and owned.

Seriously... Ruthless? Yeah, like that's some super original name anyway.
    And SN = "unoriginal DBs"?? Spoken by someone who has NO f'ing clue about craft beer history.
    digita7693 and DanielNicholson like this.
  17. Well, imo they have become followers in the industry and the marketing department seems to be sailing the ship these days, but the DB designation is a bit harsh.
  18. One could certainly make that case. Me, I'd partially agree.

But yeah, calling a brewery like SN "unoriginal DBs", even based on false info and lack of research (nice work aibkstaff!), just shows ignorance.

Oh, and Ruthless Rye is pretty good this year. Nothing amazing, but a solid, worthwhile rye beer.
  19. A classic brew is a classic brew. Tastes may change, but, in my opinion, Sierra delivers top-shelf brews at a reasonable price. And I'm buying in New England. Sadly, beer, like wine, is in the hands of the marketers. The uninitiated will purchase craft beer by price. I heard it out of Sam Calagione's mouth at a brewfest in Boston some years back. I suppose it'll settle at what the market will bear, but I love that Sierra delivers high quality that a blue collar guy can enjoy.

PS - Bringin' a keg of the SN Pale to the Super Bowl party!
    skivtjerry likes this.