1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada to collaborate with 12 breweries in 2014

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Even months after I first read this, it is still some of the best beer news I've ever read.

2. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) New York Oct 24, 2010

Uhhh, HELLZ YASS

Pahn likes this.
  3. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

yeah, count me in on the NZ pils.

did allagash supply the yeast for the BPA? that could be really nice; allagash yeast, SN hop skill.

edit: followed the link, and what i said is exactly what the allagash collab is. awesome.

corby112 and fmccormi like this.
  4. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) New York Oct 24, 2010

Agree 100%, and yeah that will be a beer to look out for in my book.

5. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (715) California Dec 15, 2012

Wow. That's quite the list! That might be the first 12 pack I ever buy.

Robtobfest likes this.
  6. Would absolutely love to get my hands on this 12 pack.

7. We're still in the pilot/test brewing phase at the moment, but yes, Allagash did supply their house yeast for this. We actually have quite a few different yeast strains in the works for this so far, which will be quite the challenge come full production time.
    Hanging out with all these guys last week was incredibly fun and I can't wait to get these beers int he works!

-Bill

8. This f'ing rocks. I love when the big guns in the craft industry get together and do amazing things. Can't wait to get this. Hopefully it will be available all over. Can't wait!

9. JT99125

JT99125 Savant (290) New Jersey May 7, 2013

This is exactly what I was thinking. Especially since I have never seen anything from 8 of these breweries in my distribution area of South Jerzz(Allagash, Asheville, Bells, Cigar City, New Glarus, Ninkasi, Russian River, Three Floyds)

10. Pahn, BottleCaps80 and corby112 like this.
  11. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (195) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

Oh god. Milk coffee stout. *drools*

HeislerGold and JT99125 like this.
  12. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

Cigar City piloted a heavily hopped Heller bock with several experimental varieties of very tropical hops.

13. Id call permanent funeral an imperial ZD.

uglypirate and JohnnyMc like this.
  14. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Dan and New Glarus going the ESB route? Read on.

15. Talked to Vinnie about his contribution on Saturday. He said they were brewing a very dry, hoppy belgian style blonde ale. He said that it sounds like many of the other brewers (as evident in the announcements so far) were making small brews. Considering this hits shelves in summertime, that sounds just fine by me. Really looking forward to this!

corby112 likes this.
  16. Irrenarzt

Irrenarzt Savant (310) New Mexico Mar 1, 2009

We got to sample most, if not all of the 12 beers from the fermenters at beer camp a couple weeks ago as they had already brewed all the test batches (or most of them). They were very generous with the sampling that day. I thought the Three Floyds and the Cigar City were the standouts, as was a baltic porter but I can recall whose beer that was. Abe was saying that the color on the Cigar City one was a bit off and Wayne being a stickler was likely to fly out again to rebrew it. It should be a worthy 12 pack once it drops...

Here's a pic of the board they have in the pilot brewery fermenter room that day (they have multiple rooms with a ton of the smaller 20 bbl fermenters so not all of the test batches were in this room, only the ones they had brewed more recently):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Ristaccia, H0p_Head, JohnnyMc and 3 others like this.
  17. Aargh... you're giving away our secrets!

Not really, but that's a lucky pull in the pilot cellar. Abe's more generous than I ever was. Seeing this, makes me miss being in Chico where I could steal all the samples I wanted!!

-B

18. Irrenarzt

The sheer number of samples to be had in Chico is mind numbing.

[​IMG]

This was right off an 800 bbl fermenter of Torpedo but we had that little spigot with us all the time and got to sample so many different beers.

Jay_Ulreich, Pahn and dar482 like this.
  19. I cannot contain my beerection about this 12 pack.

20. So true that the rest of the country (aside from the lucky Midwest) needs to taste the glory that is NG.

Danny_le_grand likes this.
  21. Sierra Nevada is America's greatest brewery.

22. I like your boldness, my friend. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was the first beer that blew my palate away, and I can honestly say that it got my shopping the beer shelves. I'll just sit back and watch the debate unfold.

king75, mikeburd1128 and Providence like this.
  23. I second that to say greatest because of a few things...
    1- Ease of acquiring a superior product
    2- Price point
    3- Bigfoot, Cele,Hoptimum and Narwhal
    To name a few killer beers Not the least being the eagerly awaited newest Beer Camp

24. Add their contributions to the craft community in the form of collaboration beers (sharing of ideas and techniques) and their amazing focus on environmental protection initiatives and it puts them to another level. Then you look at their offerings and forget it, you name, they probably got it. Oh and they've been at this for like 30 years.

25. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Do you know if the 12 brewery Beer Camp will be similar in production numbers to this year's Beer Camp? I'm expecting it to be more of a strained production, and my pessimism from dealing with PA distribution is making me skeptical that I'll get to try this.

26. Irrenarzt

If I recall correctly, they are brewing 200 bbl of each of the 12 Beer Camp collaborations.

27. The production of this Beer Camp Across America pack will be larger than 2013's Beer Camp pack, and since one of our partners is Victory, I would expect PA to get a fair amount. Also, if you are in the Philly area, we have something extra-special planned for this spring. Stay tuned for more details.

-B

28. Reino

Reino Savant (255) Oregon Aug 30, 2007

I believe Ninkasi now has Widmer-esque size tanks, and most folks in OR, WA, CA, AK, ID etc would know the name. Their IPA is the Oregon version of SNPA where you can go to a dive bar with shit beer, but they still have Total Domination IPA on tap as a fail safe. There are plenty of breweries from OR that would be cooler to see them do a collaboration with, but Ninkasi makes sense because of their size, their following, their ridiculously good marketing, and how much they give back to Oregon in so many different ways. You probably have a Ninkasi sticker on your back right now and don't even know it! :)

29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Wish a brewer from the buckeye state would have gotten in on that...anyone, anyone. Great Lakes? Fatheads? Thristy Dog? Hoppin' Frog? Columbus? Jackie O's? just a curious homer

BorisKarloff and JohnnyMc like this.
  30. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

It's ok. 13th place is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

Or was that 14th place if you count Sierra Nevada? o_O

31. Incredible news, Bill! We got quite a bit of the latest Beer camp. I can see myself grabbing as much as I can of this if it's as good as I think it will be.

corby112 likes this.
  32. cefiro355

cefiro355 Aspirant (40) New York Jan 2, 2014

Wow, like most said, if this is normal distribution that's fantastic!

33. adam42381

adam42381 Advocate (545) Florida Oct 10, 2005

Just bumping this to say I can't wait for it to come out.

34. Very excited about the New Zealand Pils.

35. As far as I can guess they probably treated each like a beer camp meaning each brewery most likely decided what style they wanted brew ahead of time so that SN could either propagate the yeast or have the respective brewery send it over. Then have a day of recipe formulation and I am betting Sierra Nevada has a good amount of ingredients in house. Also I must think that this is going to be SN Distro since the idea is to celebrate up and coming breweries on a larger scale so folks outside of the smaller distros (FFF, NG, CCB, RR) can enjoy beers from breweries they may not have access to easily.

IMO, What SN does best, second to making great beer, is keeping the craft beer brotherhood alive and well.

My two cents anyway. Can't wait for this!

Spinaltapped likes this.
  36. Shit.. glad I know someone in Chico just in case they keep some stuff close by..

37. Just a quick update:
    According to the Sierra Nevada newsletter, the Bell's contribution will be a porter, the Ashville Brewers Alliance did a Scottish ale, and Oskar Blues contributed a rye bock. So...

Allagash - Belgian pale ale
    Bell's - porter
    Cigar City - maibock
    Firestone Walker - NZ pils
    Victory - Altbier
    Russian River - Belgian blonde ale
    Ninkasi - foreign cream stout
    Oskar Blues - rye bock
    Ashville Brewers Alliance - Scottish ale
    New Glarus - English bitter/ESB
    Ballast Point - ?
    Three Floyds - ?

38. I'm hoping BP or FFF makes an IPA, because that is sorely missing from that pack.

39. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Looking forward to the new glarus, victory, and Asheville brews.

Kyrojack likes this.
  40. Awesome!