1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Clone???

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by larstheberserk, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys, prob my favorite IPA out there is the Torpedo Extra IPA by Sierra Nevada... awesome! Anyways, I wanted to make a clone of this baby, maybe make a few tweaks, and dare I say make an even better IPA (is that blasphemous? lol) Does anyone have any thoughts on how this beer is brewed? After some research, this is the best I've come up with for a 5 gallon all-grain batch:

14 lbs 2-Row
    1 lbs Crystal 60L
    1/2 1bs CaraPils (or Munich)
    2 oz Magnum hops - 60 mins
    1 oz Magnum, 1 oz Crystal - 5 mins
    .67 Magnum, .67 Crystal, .67 Citra - Dry Hop for 10 days
    American Ale Wyeast

The only thing thats up in the air IMO is the CaraPils / Munich Malts, and maybe the Citra hops since they're so hard to find... thinking about swapping them out for Falconer's Flight.

What do you guys think?

2. ...Also, what are your thoughts on adding hops in the middle of the boil (saaay 30 mins)?? I've read that if you want full hop character in a brew (which I do) that middle of the boil hopping is important and adds more hop "flavor"...

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I would generally go more toward 20 minutes than 30. IMO a lot gets boiled away in that 10 minute difference.

4. Brew it as it is written. Then brew again with changes.

5. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

Not sure where you got your info, but this is the clone recipe that was given out by the brewery, which is a little different than your recipe:

Torpedo Extra IPA Clone
    5 gallons
    OG = 1.070
    FG = 1.018
    IBU = 70
    SRM = 11
    ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients:
    14 lbs pale malt
    11 oz caramel malt (60L)
    1.2 oz of 14% AA Magnum (60 mins)
    1.0 oz Magnum (5 mins)
    1.0 oz Crystal (5 mins)
    .67 oz Magnum (dry hop)
    .67 oz Crystal (dry hops)
    .67 oz Citra (dry hops)
    White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152 degrees. Boil for 90 minutes. Ferment at 68 degrees.

Now the peanut gallery can chime in with their broken record of "too much crystal" and "not enough hops".

joecast and mountsnow1010 like this.
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Wait a minute... you mean IPAs can have crystal malt??? I just always used carapils and not crystal malt, because I like my beers dry. Did I also mention, this recipe isn't hoppy enough because it doesn't have 16 oz of hops at flameout.

7. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Peanut Gallery here, but wait, that's not even 5% crystal malt o_O

8. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

lol it was probably supposed to be sarcasm since some Peanut Galleries think any amount greater than 0% is too much crystal...

9. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Amazing, isn't it? Time after time, the brewers who make the best IPAs on the planet prove they know nothing compared to us awesome homebrewer forum guys.;)

That said, I probably *would* up the dry hop amounts to an ounce each!

10. hahah I guess I'll chime in with the broken record as well... not about too much Crystal... I think Crystal is awesome in hoppy beers... makes a more complex, fuller bodied, better colored, superior IPA in my opinion. But I do think that for a brew like the Torpedo, 1.2 oz of bittering hops isn't nearly enough. Now maybe there's a conflict between whole vs pellet (I use pellet) or maybe Sierra Nevada is just better at efficiently extracting bitterness from their hops... who knows! but in my experience, the last IPA I made (with a similar size grain bill to the recipe above) I brewed with 1.5 oz Magnum hops (14.4 %) for 60 mins, and I wasn't very happy with the results... it was not even close to as hoppy as a Torpedo, which is why, though a lot of sources told me otherwise, I upped the Magnum in this latest recipe to 2 oz.

11. mu11igan

mu11igan Zealot (80) California Mar 1, 2010

Several of SN's beers have simple 2-row/crystal malt bills. They vary the type of crystal a little, but the bill remains very simple.

12. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I've seen some another clone recipe that uses 1.5 oz of magnum and .5 oz of crystal for *90* minutes, and my hunch (not having brewed either of these) is that that's probably closer to the bitterness we'd expect from the SN. Man, just thinking about a torpedo is makin me thirsty.

13. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (330) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Hops
    I have brewed this beer once before with brewery advised hops and schedule. Loved it. This time I am tweaking it with some different hops and schedule. What do you guys think?? Same grain bill with DME, caramel 60, and carapils.

Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
    1.00 ozs 30.47 Magnum 60 mins 13.10
    0.50 ozs 11.71 Magnum 30 mins 13.10
    0.75 ozs 15.29 Falconers. 30 mins 11.40
    1.00 ozs 13.16 Falconers. 15 mins 11.40
    1.00 ozs 5.29 Falconers. 5 mins 11.40
    0.50 ozs 0.65 Crystal 5 mins 2.80
    0.75 ozs 0.00 Falconer. 0 mins 11.40
    1.00 ozs 0.00 Crystal 0 mins 2.80
    0.50 ozs Crystal 14 days 2.80
    0.50 ozs Falconers. 14 days 11.40
    0.50 ozs Magnum 14 days 13.10

Yeasts
    Amount Name Laboratory / ID
    1.0 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

14. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

As soon as I read the recipe all I could think about was the crystal haters bashing the recipe!

15. Why? This revamp only contains 11 oz. of crystal malt for a 5 gallon batch. That's not overdoing it at all.

Crystal is also the name of a hop varietal that is completely separate from Crystal Malt. If you know how to read a homebrew recipe, you can distinguish this by the use of "5 mins" and "dry hops" in this case. And if a brewer mistakened the Crystal Hop in the boil/dryhop for Crystal Malt (they should certainly not be brewing) then they would only be adding 1.67 oz. more, which would be insignificant in response to the claim of "too much crystal" in this case.

Now, the "not enough hops" statement is more of minor matter of personal preference. I'd add another 1/2 to 1 oz. to the dryhop as well as a couple oz. around 15 mins in the boil. Though it would still be good as is.

kjyost likes this.