1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy Release Party

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by JustXBeer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy Release Party

Join us as we celebrate the start of a New Year with a special bottle release event for our award winning Silva Stout (Bourbon barrel aged stout) & the never before bottled Sleepin’ with Shaggy (Brandy barrel aged Barleywine)

Tickets for this event are limited and all attendees will receive:

• Tastings of – Silva Stout, Sleepin’ with Shaggy, Little Freak, Super Freak & Flanders Drive
    • 2 perfectly paired dishes by Leroy’s Kitchen & Lounge
    • 1 x 4 pack of Silva Stout or Sleepin’ with Shaggy included
    • Option to buy the other 4 pack at the event for $20
    • Commemorative 10th Anniversary Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy glass
    Silva Stout:
    Aging a minimum of 17 months in Bourbon Barrels transforms our Double Stout into a barrel-aged gem. Upon pouring, a black brew emerges with dark brown beer foam and the aromatics of dark chocolate covered bourbon cherries (if such a thing exists). The aromas carry through to the flavor, bourbon barrel enhanced stout having hints of cherry, vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, coffee, and roast barley. A full but not too heavy a body holds it all together for an elegant or even “Imperial” drinking experience. Silva Stout is named in honor of brewmaster Chuck Silva.

Sleepin with Shaggy:
    After spending 4 years in Brandy barrels it became time to unleash the dark monster within. Thick toffee aromatics exude with dense layers of fig, molasses, caramel, and a medley of dark fruits. Sweet flavors of toffee and caramel mingle with the warming spice of vanilla, sherry-like notes, and brandy barrel oak tannin. When served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit (highly recommended) more dark fruits like plum, date, raisin, and fig are further revealed. Our CEO/Founder Mike Hinkley has enjoyed pairing this Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine with a big stuffed “Shaggy” dog that came from the local fair carnies and therefore we now have “Sleepin with Shaggy”.
    Cheers!

2. Despite the terrible name that Brandy Barrel Barleywine sounds great. Especially since Silva Stout is such a fantastic beer.

3. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

ISO both of these, especially Shaggy.

4. AndresR

AndresR Savant (255) California Jul 19, 2009

Any word on bottle availability after the party? $85 for (2) 4packs, even with tasters and some food, is really steep.

5. Zoinks, Scoob!

MarkIntihar and riko like this.
  6. Damn. Why couldn't it be the Monday before or after? I'd drop 120+ for 2 tickets to the event if I wasn't supposed to be coming back from SF the day before

7. If this was on a weekend I'd definitely go, I hate when these type of things are on weeknights.... otherwise, I'm eager to hear by which other methods it will be possible to purchase either of these beers.

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Silva Stout is just about the only Green Flash beer I actively seek out anymore. Stuff is great. Friends at GABF said Sleepin' with Shaggy is very good, but a little hot on the booze.

Really happy these are coming out in 4x12 packs. makes is WAY easier to drink and trade.

9. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Its been a long time since I bought GF beer (since they made wcipa a 4 pk)....but I do like me some Silva Stout. Monday is a hard dayto make....decisions decisions.

10. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Any chance Silva gets distributed to select accounts? Or word on a new release of Rayon Vert?

11. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Dunno. Flanders Drive didn't.

12. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Fuck Monday thru Thursday releases. People work.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  13. I've noticed that the guys/gals in the tasting bar often don't know things, but one time when I asked a question Chuck Silva was not 10 feet away from me, and I could swear that the guy answering the question was looking out of the corner of his eye at Chuck, making sure he answered the question correctly.

I was finally able to try some Silva Stout during SD Beer Week, when they had some leftover on tap the day after their big event. Perhaps it was just my palate that day, but I found it way too boozy tasting for my liking.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  14. MacNCheese

Green Flash has come a LONG way since it was a tiny undercapacity brewery in Vista. More staff means constant turnover of people... Silva Stout is so damn good though, at least the 1st batch was, not sure if I've had it since.

15. Thank you Green Flash (along with Alesmith and Lost Abbey) for making the acquisition of your choicest commodities fun and easy (i.e., not requiring standing in line for hours or driving from haystack to haystack in search of needles). This is actually a very good price considering all the great beer and good times you get without headache.

pmarlowe and JustXBeer like this.
  16. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

This. Any other details available?

17. As far as I know, the *only* way to buy a bottle of Silva Stout in the past year was to get it at last year's event. I know a dude that actually owns part of Green Flash (somewhere around 2.5% - 5%), and they did not have any bottled Silva Stout they could get to him after that release party.

18. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

I honestly think this is a very fair deal...
    Tasters+food+glass=$25 (at least)
    That means $60 for 8 bottles = $7.50 per

Pretty good considering a 12oz bottle of rumpkin is ~$10.

Rocket80 and JustXBeer like this.
  19. True...but it is only till 9pm. You can still show up at 6pm, have a taste, grab the bottles and be on your way.

20. Southbound commute to Mira Mesa Blvd isn't so bad on weekday afternoons (though it probably is safer to exit on Carmel Mtn Rd and go to Vista Sorrento Pkwy). I'm guessing that MacCheese is more concerned about the morning after.

21. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

You can buy a 4 pack of the other beer at the event for $20, so it's pretty clear they're valuing the bottles at $5 each, meaning $45 for tasters+food+glass. Also, Silva Stout at $7.50 would still be a tasty beer, but not nearly as attractive as it was at $4/bottle for the original release.

22. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

I think the reason why they are having it on a Monday is because the tasting room is closed on Mondays.

Public Hours:
    Tuesday 3:00pm - 9:00pm
    Wednesday 3:00pm - 9:00pm
    Thursday 3:00pm - 9:00pm
    Friday 3:00pm - 10:00pm
    Saturday 12:00pm - 9:00pm
    Sunday 12:00pm - 6:00pm
    Monday Available for Private Event Rental Only

23. I love Silva Stout and would love to try Sleepin with Shaggy, just wish that a ticket to the event included more than one pour of each (Little Freak and Super Freak are not beers I am looking to try again). Hopefully this means they are saving some for distribution. Even so I would spring for this if it wasn't a week day.

24. MacNCheese

I'm sure the event will be sold out and will be fun. Some people don't go out drinking during the week. I've met Mike the owner several times and I get why they're doing it on a Monday, but it's not for everyone. Also not everyone wants to pay more for all the 'extra's. Just sell us the beer, the way Alesmith is doing their BA releases these days is about as perfect as you can get.

queens1130, ehammond1, ryno09 and 5 others like this.
  25. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (785) California Nov 29, 2006

queens1130, usofar, jodan and 6 others like this.
  26. cocoapuph

I think you will be able to buy more tasters or 8oz pours ($2-$4) throughout the night if the event is like the 10th anniversary party.

27. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I'd love to get some of the beers but making me go on on a Monday and forcing the purchase of a bunch of expensive extra stuff I don't want is not appealing to me.

What are the chances I can just go on Tuesday and buy the beer then...?

28. I just paid $15.99 for a 12 oz Rumpkin.

29. Zero.

30. cocoapuph

OK... then the cost of the Silva is a great deal! ;)

PS... I do love me some Rumpkin.

31. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

So "other beer" means you can't walk out of there with 2 four packs of Silva, correct? It has to be 1 four pack of each?

32. Xul

That's the impression I'm getting.

I asked on their FB if they'll have Silva/Shaggy for sale, either through distro or at the brewery, post-event, but they haven't responded (presumably because they want to maximize ticket sales, can't blame 'em).

33. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Tired of these food events. I'd rather spend $20 on the 4 pack and $40 on 16oz USDA Prime steak dinner.

ryno09 and ehammond1 like this.
  34. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

That wasn't the case during last year's (archived) Silva Stout release. Each attendee was given a tear-off ticket good for 1 pour of each available beer that evening.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  35. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (785) California Nov 29, 2006

I wish they'd provide more tasters of Silva and Shaggy considering the event is for these beers. I know I'm not alone in never wanting to have Little Freak or Super Freak again in my life. I'm not really sure why they've included those beers in this event considering they have nothing to do with two bottled beers being released.

***grumble grumble grumble do what Alesmith did***

vacax, jodan and MacNCheese like this.
  36. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

as a consumer base we've become too easy. this is a f-ckin rip off plain and simple. with their growth it is most likely cheaper for green flash to make silva than it was a few years back @ $80 per case. many in the craft industry are as opportunistic as the "big beer" we like to speak ill of as $$$ is the variable of importance to our "craft beer friends" anymore.

we're due for a market correction and i want to see it soon.

Beerandraiderfan and sandiego67 like this.
  37. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

i had a lot of fun at last years silva stout release. and extremely limited distro. ive seen it for sale at hamiltons and thats about it. hamiltons also has an extremely good relationship with gf and chuck goes there a lot. sooo i guess if you want it you will have to put up with the food. im vegetarian and had nothing to eat last year but im still not complaining, it was a great event!

38. Xul

Realistically, yes, it should be cheaper for them to produce Silva Stout now than it was in the past. However, go into their tasting room and look at how many barrels are sitting in the facility - for better or worse, they haven't dedicated many resources to a barrel program, and the pricing/availability of Silva Stout and Sleepin' With Shaggy reflect that.

It was great in fall of 2010 to be able to walk into the brewery a couple weeks after release and get several 4 packs of Silva Stout with no hassle, but we've established by now that the release logistics of the past are long gone. From listening to the bartenders talk about limited releases this afternoon (disclosure - I didn't ask directly, just overheard), it sounds like they don't expect bottles to be available after the release event.

39. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

I was curious, so I just ran the numbers… latest BA Speedway release came out to $1.14/oz. If you buy both 4 packs for this release party, it comes out to $0.88/oz., plus you get food, tasters, and the glass on top of that. So, of course it’s still steep, but maybe not as steep as it seems.

40. MacNCheese

Need beer'o'nomics run for comparison of Silva Stout:Westy 12 Bricks.