1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy Release Party

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by JustXBeer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Anyone have insight as to why they kept Shaggy in barrels for 4 years? Seems like a very long time.

I had it last year at the SDBW Silva Stout release and thought it was awesome, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.

2. Shame this beer is release party only. Would love to get my hands on one.

3. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

In response to asking about bottle purchase post release event:

"Due to the limited quantity available, we are not planning to release the bottles after the event. We plan to assess the remaining quantity after the event and we may do some small events later in the year, but nothing is planned as of yet. For now - the only way to secure a bottle would be to attend the event."

This = sad panda :( bummer about having to work that day!

4. Anyone know what size bottles they are? 22 or 12 or 750ml?

5. 12oz.

6. Question for people who have already bought tickets:

What form do the tickets come in? I would like to buy tickets for a friend who lives in SD, but I need to know if I can buy them for her or if I have to give her money to buy them herself.

7. They have the name of the person who bought them on the ticket but I don't know if they are transferable.

8. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

The tickets for the Silva Stout & Sleepin’ with Shaggy Release Party only just states who paid for it. The Ticket is emailed to you in a .pdf from eventbrite.

9. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

Looks like Event Ticket w/ 4 pack Silva is more popular than Sleepin'
    [​IMG]

10. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Confirm the previous note. NO bottles after the release!

I emailed and heres the answer.....
    A special bottle release is planned for the Tasting Room in San Diego on Jan 28th. It is not being bottled to distribute. It will be (on rare occasion) served on draft at special events both in and out of San Diego. If you are able to make it to the event in San Diego – tickets are available via EventBrite right now, but are almost sold out!

11. ISO: Sleepin w/ Shaggy 4 pack. Message me if interested.

12. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

So how was the party? How does the new Silva Stout compare the the last batch? How was Reepin with Raggy?

13. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

I thought Silva is as good as the first release and Shaggy is awesome stuff. Food was no more than a snack, which I'm sure frustrated everyone there.

rmaste6282 and HopHead84 like this.
  14. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (420) California Jan 23, 2011

the food part was crap...everything else was great, especially finding out that more beer was available to purchase than originally advertised.

15. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

how much were the 4-packs of Silva?

16. funkel81

funkel81 Savant (420) California Jan 23, 2011

~65 for the first 4-pack, 20 for each additional

17. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

really??? damnit, this was one of the main reasons I passed. Now that I know there were extras...ISO: Silva and Shaggy

ehammond1 likes this.
  18. rmaste6282

rmaste6282 Savant (380) California Apr 30, 2009

Yes, I think we all agree that it was much more worth going with the additional 4 packs that were available for purchase.

19. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

What I am I missing with Shaggy? I thought it was average at best. So blah I only bought half my allocation. ( already promised some to traders )

Silva I found nothing special either.

What. Am. I. Missing?

Am I the only one underwhelmed?

All I have been drinking the past week is BCBS, Black Note, and BBPt5. Silva I found very thin and lacking in depth compared to the others I mentioned.

20. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

anyone with bottles coming up to sf beer week let em know, im looking to do an ip trade for 1 of each

21. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

queens1130, j47paco and nanobrew like this.
  22. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Sounds like Green Flash, all right :)

But seriously, the 4 packs are awesome. I'm fucking tired of everyone releasing bombers - 12 oz 4 packs are the way to go.

mrkrispy, AndresR and nataku00 like this.
  23. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

I'm not a big GF fan, but both of these beers are great.

24. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

You're a Level 10 BA Ticker. Just not tickertastic enough if it's not gone through hyped expectation trade phenomenia.

25. evilc

Nah, I die for Alpine and it's insanely easy to get =)

Had high expectations when I traded for Dark Lord last year - was the worst stout I've ever had!

MiScusi and jp7161 like this.
  26. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

You're still a Lvl 10, you send your wife & kids on Alpine beer runs, whose beer is impossible for others to get.

27. evilc

She muled the GF event last night, pregnant.

Wife deployment to Alpine again soon!

jtmartino and queens1130 like this.
  28. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

Pregnant & muling, now that's love

westcoastbeerlvr and jtmartino like this.
  29. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

You know what else was in barrels that long? Idiot's Drool, and look what happened with that one.

[​IMG]

30. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (320) California Jan 11, 2010

I thought this Silva was one of the best BA Stouts I've ever had. So much smooth bourbon flavors. I was pissed about the food, but happy about the extra buy-in opportunities. Also happy for the free tasters of Silva, Shaggy, and Flanders, plus full pour buys of those as well.

I ended up with A LOT of Silva and I don't plan on trading any of it. So happy to have such a great BA Stout in a small format bottle. The fact that it is better than Bourbon County, Central Waters, et al... is only a bonus.

31. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

they ran out of beers they were supposed to be pouring for the event only, and food... and again no vegetarian options. i guess the event coordinator understood there was some vegetarian out cry but then nothing was done about it...

meh

32. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (320) California Jan 11, 2010

The food part was a complete fail. Long ass line for an appetizer that was billed as a dinner option, then they run out of tortillas, and have nothing to offer non-red meat eaters. I just wish they would have posted the menu before hand so the 4 of us would have stopped and ate something on the way.

But, I'll say again, being able to buy all that extra unexpected awesome Silva Stout made it all worth it.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  33. evilc

I didn't even punch my card for the food. Every time I thought about it, I looked at the long ass line that moved 1 person per 5 minutes. Glad to hear it was nothing special.

Loved Flanders, wish I made that release.

34. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

Has there ever been an event at an SD brewery where the food wasn't a fail?

35. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

The Cascade beer dinner at Stone last year during SDBW was really great. The food was on point. I was surprised. The food was actually way better than Stone's regular lineup (which isn't that good IMO).

36. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

There was a vegetarian option. There was a vegetarian in front of me that got it. Think you had to ask and it wasnt advertised.

Not that you really missed out on much anyways. But showing up 10 minutes early meant no line for me!

37. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

it was a small tortilla with beans on top of it. guess it was better than the last release where the salad was pre plated with the salmon on top of it!

38. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

Wow! Yea you think they would have a fully vegetarian option considering where we live. Im surprised they dont have a vegan option either. But either way it sucked!! Lol. They should just do away with food altogether since they cant even get 1 version of it right.

39. This thread supports what a few of us have been saying all along, which is, "just gimme the damn beer!"

40. I agree for the most part. The only one that lived up to any hype was the Stone 12.12.12 party. Besides the 11 pairings, they had some other appetizers/dips/finger foods that were much better than their normal fare.

The event was pricey but I am glad I shelled out.

Also, the Pizza Port buses to the Charger and Padre games never disappoint. All the beer you can ingest, a great tailgate with tons of BBQ and other food along with a round trip ride. Great value.