1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Simcoe Lineage

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sjverla, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Does anyone know what Simcoe hops are derived from - if there's a traceable ancestor at all? I know Mosaic was derived from Simcoe, I'm just wondering if the family tree (bine?) goes back any farther. I think it'd be fun to do a single-line IPA or something, like Simcoe, Mosaic and _________.
  2. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Apparently Mosaic is a cross between and Simcoe and Nugget, so Nugget is in the lineage. This page might interest you.

3. Thanks for the link. I was hoping for something more generational, like __________ was crossed with ___________ and they made little baby Simcoe. Simcoe and Nugget got together and brought Mosaic into this world. If that's not really traceable, I wouldn't be at all upset about using Nugget.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Supposedly Simcoe's parentage is 'unknown.' But the fact that it came from Yakima Chief Ranches (a hop farm) makes me wonder about that claim. In contrast to say, Amarillo, there doesn't seem to be an anecdote ("I was walking through the fields, and by golly, there was a hop plant out of place...") associated with its discovery/creation.
  5. Hmmmm... a hoppy 'immaculate conception' ????
  6. I would think with most of the varieties that are still exclusive to a single grower, the grower is not going to release many details about how they came up with the breed of hop. You may have better luck with some of the relatively older hops such as Centennial, Chinook, Wilamette, or Cascade.

If you are looking for the most accurate hop lineage, I would look into German varieties. They are known to be extremely particular about the lineage of their hops. Though, I would assume if you are brewing an IPA, German hops are not the way to go.
  7. Not to go off on a wildly irrelevant tangent, but you're referring to Virgin Birth, not Immaculate Conception - commonly, though erroneously, thought to refer to the same thing.
    Applecrew135 likes this.

8. I knew Simcoe and Mosaic are still trademarked. But I really love Simcoe and will be buying a pound soon and was thinking it might be a fun project. But you're probably right that I'd have better luck with some older varieties.

Maybe I'll take a page from AlCaponeJr's playbook and do a smash. Well, it wouldn't be a true smash because I'm still doing extract, but it would be pretty darn basic. 7 lbs light extract, ~.5 pound Caramel 30, 5 oz Simcoe sprinkled throughout.
  9. Cant go wrong with Simcoe! And if you chose to go the Simcoe, Nugget, Mosaic route I still think that would be a winner.