1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Similar DIPAS to Enjoy By?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by yoitsarch, Dec 21, 2012.

1. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (290) California Nov 13, 2012

For those of you that had the Stone Enjoy By, what other DIPA are there that have that strong wet grass aroma/taste?
  2. Not a DIPA but enjoy by reminded me a little bit of Elevated Ipa from la cumbre. Both amazing beers.
  3. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Really? It's been a while since i've had a Double Jack so i can't remember.

I'm gonna get crucified for this but i thought it was similar to Pliny.
  4. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

As soon as I smelled it and tasted it I though Alpine.
    TheJollyHop and darkmoon66 like this.
  5. Burley Oak Bulletproof Tiger
  6. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I can definitely agree with you there man, also reminded me a lot of the New Belgium/Alpine Super IPA. I thought it was super clean and crisp like those beers are......but I don't think it tastes anything like Double Jack. Double Jack is easily my least favorite FW beer, I struggle to get through even 12 ounces of that beer........Now I might get crucified for saying that.
  7. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol possibly.

I don't think enjoy by was anything like double jack either, but like i said it's been a while.
  8. It's pretty unique. Alpine IPAs were, in my opinion, a quite obvious inspiration for the hop bill of this beer - Nelson and Bad Boy in particular. However, whereas Alpine's beers finish sort of sweet and nectar-like, Enjoy By has the trademark Stone bitterness.

So yeah, I'd recommend checking out Alpine beers if you can.
  9. CA_Infidel2o9

Anyone else get a kinda lingering burning at the back of the throat w/ Enjoy by?
  10. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

I agree with this 100%
  11. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (255) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Had three snifters from a tap a few nights ago.
    When I smelled it I thought, $150 a quarter :D
    That beer is unbelieveable on tap
    WesM63 and joloje like this.
  12. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (290) California Nov 13, 2012

Thanks alot. Im going to do some searching, anybody know of a spot in LA that carries Alpine?
  13. I had Hop Venom recently and it tasted somewhat similar.
  14. https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com/where-to-buy/

You can find which stores carry their stuff on there, but good luck finding any of their hoppy beers. Those are basically brewery only beers at this point.
  15. Double Jack isn't in the same league. Category of great DIPAs? yes, but the taste is completely different IMO.
  16. This totally depends on which batch you got a hold of.

9.21 - was amazing
    11.09 - was good.
    12.21 - was meh. blah.
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (755) California Jan 31, 2005

^^"Hey bring that plank over here. Now nail them here where they come together...";)
    bifrost17 likes this.
  18. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I've said it before. Tastes most like Schlafly TIPA. Galaxy hops. Very Australian.
  19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Initiate (20) Aug 6, 2012

KRBC Citra DIPA
    getinked likes this.
  20. I would say Nelson, Pupil from Societe and sadly now Sculpin. Don't like any of them.
  21. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

In my review of it, I compared it to Sucks
  22. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Really? I haven't found Sucks in Ohio yet, but I'll be sure to check it out if that is true.
  23. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Does anyone know where to find Kern River online?
  24. Didn't have the others but agree with the 12.21 assessment.
    getinked likes this.
  25. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

26. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

I found it very similar to the Alpine/New Belgium Super India Pale Ale. They both share that very ripe tropical fruitiness to them. So I have to agree with the Alpine references above.
  27. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Enjoy by is a great beer...fresh. Note: It is no longer fresh on the "enjoy by" date. It is easily a month past prime on that date.

SN Hoptimum
    Moylans Hopsickle

Avery Maharaja (Hoppier, Willowy)
    FFF Dreadnaught (More complexity)
    Bells Hopslam (More pinapply hops character, lighter mouthfeel)

Age profoundly affects the character of these IIPAs. None of them will taste similar side-by-side if the ages are different. Nor will two of the same label with different brew dates. I'm sure you know this, but it's always worth mentioning.
  28. Unless you can find a shop close to Kern or where Stone distributes it, good luck. Even when they do distribute outside of Kern County area, its a case of JO here and there. If you want something like Dirty Hippie you will def have to drive there or one of the stores in the county.