1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Similar to Russian River Redemption?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by breadwinner, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Popped open a Russian River Redemption last night for the first time and enjoyed the heck out of it. It was sort of like all the parts of stronger Belgian beers I have a hard time with were dialed back to more reasonable levels -- a bit of spice, but not a clove bomb; a bit of esters, but not a banana bomb; lightly crisp, rather than razors edge dryness (I see you, Orval!). With the summer heat bearing down upon us, Redemption was the perfect brew. Anyone happent to find other brews striking similar chords as Redemption?
    Geuzedad likes this.
  2. Giving this one a bump to see if anyone has a moment of inspiration. I mean, I'm happy to track down more Redemption and drink it up, but alternatives are always nice. Help a brother out!
    Kyrojack and CowsandBeer like this.
  3. nophunk

nophunk Aficionado (230) Louisiana Nov 27, 2011

Redemption is definitely one of my favorite Belgian style blondes for the reasons you mentioned. I honestly don't know of a very similar beer off hand. Weihenstaphaner Hefeweizen is obviously more wheat heavy, but it's got that nice banana bread flavor and is insanely drinkable.
  4. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/54/?sort=avgD

find the highest rated available to you and go from there
    you should have easy access too pranqster try that.
  5. much easier ti find is Ommegang BPA
  6. There is nothing wrong with Orval. Let's just make sure we are clear on that.
  7. Belgian Pale Ale is such a wide-ranging style, though. I've had some through that list, and they're kinda all over the map. Thought someone might be able to single out a few in particular to give a shot.

Dude, I'll give her another go, but my first bottle was a wildly carbonated, dry-as-sand piece of work. Honestly had trouble finishing it.

Yeah, saw BPA on there and thought I'd have to snag one next time I'm at the bottle shop.
    CowsandBeer likes this.
  8. sammyg832

sammyg832 Savant (380) Arizona Oct 17, 2013

Although it is a strong belgian pale ale I would go for Duvel
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/695/

It is the standard belgian pale ale that sets the standard for the style. Plus it is easy to get and fairly cheap. It is also an amazing beer. I can get it for $8.99 a bomber all the time.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  9. I'm actually a bit ashamed I haven't tried Duvel yet -- it's always on the list, and yet always falls victim to some other shiny object I pick up instead. Will definitely have to grab one next time I'm out.
    sammyg832 likes this.
  10. sammyg832

You should definitely pick up a bomber. It doesn't get any hype since it's quite available. I think you'll really enjoy it :)
  11. Give her some time, she will reward your patience.
    GetMeAnIPA and breadwinner like this.
  12. Another Tasty one is Maredsous Blonde delicious in 4-paks IMO inot a BPA but style buy along the lines that you seek IMO
    breadwinner likes this.
  13. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

Duvel is a must try. If you can find the tripel hop Duvel, it adds a further depth the the flavor.
    sammyg832 and breadwinner like this.
  14. jae

jae Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 21, 2010

15. sammyg832

Also check out Avery's Salvation
  16. ceeg

ceeg Aficionado (155) New York Dec 16, 2010

I like Houblon Chouffe, give that one a go.
    GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  17. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I wish I could get Redemption on the regular. It tasted more like a funky weirdo saison to me than the Duvel/Pranqster which seems more bold and upfront in terms of yeast profile.
  18. i really enjoy lucifer, easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
  19. Definitelyyyy pick up a Duvel. Its not quite the same as Redemption, but is one of the best.
    Also going to +1 vote for Ommegang as well. BPA is yum