1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Since it's mid winter, let's talk summer...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 4kbrianb, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Savant (285) New York Aug 18, 2012

On a 90+ summer day, I'll usually grab Brooklyn Summer Ale and walk on down to the beach. Also, when the brewery is open, local brewery Barrier Brewing Co. makes an amazing Belgian IPA (or three) that makes for a perfect summer beer. If I go cheap, PBR. If I'm back down in North Carolina, Oberon Ale is my number one choice bar none. Unfortunately, they do not distribute to NY. That picture made me jealous!
  2. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Bitburger 16oz cans do it for me.
  3. Usually if I am sitting out on a hot summer day by the pool or beach I go with something I can drink lots of easily and spend very little, so I usually grab cans of Bud, 312, or PBR...i drink alot of Bells Oberon in the summer too.
  4. When it's time to put on the shorts and flip flops I really like Sam Adams Noble Pils a lot! It's kinda like the Boston Lager but hoppier and lighter and it goes down oh so good. I also like the hefs a lot including Kellerweis, Weihenstephaner, and my value Hef is Spaten Franziskaner @ 15.49 per 12 pack and you can't beat it. I also make my summer trip to San Diego and love that fresh Stone IPA along with myriad other choices in greater SD!
    YogiBeer likes this.
  5. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

So YOU are the one who gets them to keep that beer around!!
    BigCheese and YogiBeer like this.
  6. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Weihenstephaner Pils, Kristalweiss.

Two Bros Cane & Ebel, Ebel's weiss

Zombie Dust

Hoppin Frog BA BORIS, because YOLO.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  7. Sierra Nevada Pale in cans is a go-to for me when I'm out on the water, also Surly Bitter Brewer. However, Indeed Day Tripper is now going to be on that list. I like to watch the ballgames on tv out on my screen porch, and the fridge out there is almost always stocked with these beers, and plenty of Victory Prima Pils for post-lawn mowing enjoyment.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I kinda want to explore saisons more this summer also possibly maibocks. I primarily drank ipa's and dipa's last year.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  9. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Hefeweizens, Pilseners, Witibiers, good/decent Pale or Adjunct lagers are what I like. Preferably beers that are below 6.0 if I'm gonna be drinking all day at a backyard party/shindig/hootinany/box social.

Sam Adams Summer Ale sucks.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  10. You know I was joking, right? Obviously I knew you weren't talking about Smirnoff!
  11. my buddy and I thought it was pretty good, something you could "pound" in warmer weather.
  12. Narrangansett Summer Ale
    Sam Adams Noble Pils
    Allagash White
    Any good IPA.
    Any Good Beer.
  13. It's Jan 8th today - so that means Leinenkugal Summer Shandy should be hitting store shelves any day now....

I drink a lot of lager in the summer - (would drink more in the spring too if I could find some decent blonde bocks for a reasonable price. RIP Glissade) - St Pauli Girl, Pilsner Urquell, or SN Summerfest are always in the fridge come warmer temps. I drank plenty of Widmer mixed 12 packs last summer too.
  14. Its been winter for all of 3 weeks?

But SN Summerfest and lots of other IPAs...but when isnt it IPA time?
  15. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

This is my addiction! Wonderful on a 115 degree AZ summer day.
    denver10 likes this.
  16. I got a feeling Jim Koch is behind this thread, since the summer mix pack is probably only a week away from release...
  17. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils and Great Divide Nomad on a hot day.
  18. ya I guess we have it tough. I am saying it is cold when our high is 65 or something. I probably wouldn't last very long in the mid west. But then again we arent lucky enough to have nice big basements to convert in to cellars. Must be nice....
  19. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I prefer winter. Stock up and try to make it last all summer.
  20. Hacker Pschorr Hefe
    Weihenstephener Hefe
    Konig Pilsener
  21. I drank a ton of Allagash White and Dale's last summer. I'm thinking tons of Scrimshaw will be consumed this year.
  22. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Lagunitas Daytime!!!! Can't wait for it to come back out.
    Dools9 likes this.
  23. [​IMG]
    Imported, Bros!!
    Look at that NASCAR style signature!!
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

NB sommersault. I don't know why but I can't get enough of that.