1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Singapore Beer Geek Guide

Discussion in 'Asia' started by TheRealDBCooper, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Since this forum is so lightly used, I decided to share my Singapore experience/recommendations as a guide for those doing a search. For background, I am in Singapore at least once a year if not more and usually stay right near the marina so most of what I do is either within walking distance up the river or a short taxi ride.

Where to buy for take home (All described further below except where I go in to detail.):
    *Brewerkz at Clark Quay (Their own bottles and a few others.)
    *Good Beer Company - A couple $$ more than at a store, but can take anything they sell home. (Cash only)
    *Mabuk Monkey - Online or by phone and they deliver within the hour. Highly recommend as getting to a store that actually has the beer can be a pain and a lot of times may be out. It is also cheaper prices than most places. (They even once packed a box for me to check as luggage and threw in some SWAG and a glass.)

Brewerkz at Clark Quay (brewery):
    - Beers to try: White Rabbit, Hop Back (only cask available in SG as far as I know), Steam Beer
    - Food: Nothing stands out. Not great, but not bad.
    - They also had Jungle Beer available the last time I was visiting as well as US craft beer
    - They have other locations, but I have only been to Clark Quay which is a big night life location

Pump Room at Clark Quay (brewery):
    - Beers to try: Nothing memorable, though I vaguely recall their IPA wasn't too bad.
    - I've only been here once because the business focuses more on being a club at night than their brewing operations.

Red Dot on Dempsey hill(brewery):
    - Beers to try: Nothing stands out (Novelty: They do a green beer with spirulina.)
    - The reason to go here is that it is a beautiful outdoor location shaded by big trees. Drink a light refreshing beer on an outside patio surrounded by green. One of my favorite patios in Singapore.
    - They also have a Boat Quay location, but never been there because it does not have the ambiance of Dempsey

Archipelago - many locations (brewery):
    - Beers to try: Their Limited Edition is almost always interesting. (For instance a coffee pilsner that tastes like iced coffee.) From what I understand it is the brew master's tap that he can do whatever he wants with, while the rest is controlled by Heineken. (Pretty sure that is who owns them now, though can't find the link.) Their Summer ale is a nice light, warm weather beer and usually my first off the plane as there is a location right by the hotel I stay at.
    - Food: Varies by location

Jungle Beer (brewery only):
    - Beers to try: All of them, though I haven't been able to get my hands on their hoppy ones yet so can't confirm if they get the "American" part of their American IPA. What I can tell you is that these guys know how to brew good beer. Haven't had a one I didn't like

JiBiru (restaurant):
    - Beers to try: Japanese craft beer. They have bottles as well as draft and Jungle beer on tap and in the bottle. (Ask them what beers they have in as they will get some one off limited releases from time to time in bottles.)
    - Food: Yakitori is outstanding. This may only be available after 6pm, but if you email or call them they can confirm as it has been changing.

Good Beer Company (Chinatown Food Complex Hawker Stall):
    - Great craft beer selection from both Singapore breweries as well as New Zealand, Australia, EU, and US.
    - Food: It's a hawker center. Buy your $3 SGD plate of chicken rice (or whatever you like) and $15 SGD beer. (All alcohol is on the higher side in Singapore.) - And for those not familiar, hawker centers have some of the best food in Asia.

Brussels Sprouts (restaurant):
    - Beers to try: Exactly what the name implies and quite a large selection of bottles. Get your sour on.
    - Food: Good mussels

A couple of other notes:
    - I have had mixed experiences with US craft IPAs in Singapore with some being extremely faded, though so far this has only happened at non-craft locations. (Mario Batali's places for instance served me the most faded Stone beer I have ever encountered.)
    - Prices get steadily more expensive for draught beer as the night progresses. (Pricing changes)
    - Make sure you specify the size of beer you want on draught or you will get the largest bucket they sell.
    - For those new to Asia, service sucks and the people serving you at the breweries with restaurants know nothing about the beer.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone and if you have any specific questions, please feel free to drop me a note.

2. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Thank you for posting this. I will be visiting Singapore for a few days in September. It's my first trip overseas and while I don't expect to get a chance for much beer hunting this is nice to know!

3. Not a problem. Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions.

4. Wellington

Wellington Zealot (75) Singapore Sep 5, 2007

Thank you for the feedback. I am the distributor of American Craft beers in Singapore. may I know which month you visited Pizzeria Mozza / Osteria Pizzeria when this incident happened? We will assuredly look into this and please feel free to give us a list of outlets you feel that are serving sub standard usa craft beers. We transport our Stone IPAs to Pizzeria Mozza and Osteria Pizzeria in cold trucks and the beers are stored on cold temperature rooms. Hence we are definitely keen to know more about your bad experiences with our beers so that we can review our work processes.

beerindex likes this.
  5. Hey, thanks for responding. The Pizzeria Mozza was a Levitation I had late June/early July of last year. It is the only one I can remember specifics on though as I have been drinking local Singapore beer for the most part the last couple of years and getting to know Japanese ones a bit better at JiBiru. Glad to see the quality is being looked after. I would be happy to go back to ordering some the next time I'm in town for my hop fix. (Getting closer every year in Singapore, but none of the locals can yet do a good American IPA though I'm holding out hope for when I get my hand's on Jungle's IPA.)

6. Wellington

Wellington Zealot (75) Singapore Sep 5, 2007

Noted. It should have been improved since last year as from 2012 onwards, we even collect the Stone beers in a reefer cold truck from the brewery. In any case, I will talk to the restaurant manager to confirm their storage methods.

Thanks a lot !!!

7. swordfish123

swordfish123 Disciple (50) India Aug 5, 2011

I think you can add Paulaner Bräuhaus in Raffles Boulevard. I had been there on my vacation about a year back and quite liked their beers. But back then i was a BMC drinker. Did not know anything about it.

Going to Singapore again in a weeks time. Will surely try out some of the places you have recommended.

8. It's also worth checking out Level 33 brewpub. By no means cheap but lovely views over the Singapore skyline.

9. Was not aware of this place and I do that walk around the marina often while staying. Will need to swing by for a taste. Someone dropped a bit of money to start that up.

10. Update (as I was in Singapore earlier this week): The guy who owns The Good Beer Company has just launched a beer store, though in a different part of town called 99 Bottles. (Off East Coast Road right on the way to the airport. That means you can stop and pack your luggage full of bottles before you leave town.) Best beer selection I've seen in Singapore and the owner is very cool beer geek. By appointment during the week and open on the weekends.

11. swordfish123

swordfish123 Disciple (50) India Aug 5, 2011

I went to 99 bottles 2 weeks back. Daniel, the owner is a nice bloke. There was some tasting session going on when i was there. Some of his friends had got some beers. Most of the beers were still in the case as he had just opened the store. Got some schneider, delirium, stone ipa and westmalle. Price as usual in Singapore is on the steeper side.

If you are still in Singapore head to Paulaner and have their Oktoberfest beer. Its pretty good.

Brauhaus Restaurant & Pub has lot of beers to select from all over the world. You can buy beer from them if you dont want to have it in their pub. Couldn't speak to the owner. The waiters are all Filipino girls who have no idea about the beers. Its 10 mins walk from Novena MRT.

12. Heading through Singapore tomorrow for a few hours, but itinerary is set. I do want to hit up Brauhaus one of these days. As to the Filipino girls, I have long since learned that asking anything of the wait staff in Asia beyond a specific item to bring you is pointless and only serves to frustrate you and them.

13. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Haha! Sad but true--in my limited experience customer service is nonexistent.

14. I usually get good service at Brewerkz, but I'm normally sitting with the head brewer, my son. In general, I find beer knowledge on the part of Asians and South East Asians to be essentially non-existent, both in Asia, SE Asia and in North America, and they refuse to learn anything about any beverage alcohol. But I had the impression that Brewerkz tries to train its servers a little better.

15. Fal Allen, the head brewer of Anderson Valley was brewing in Singapore for a couple years recently, I think that was at Archipelago..?

16. stobbart

stobbart Disciple (60) California Feb 5, 2009

I moved to Singapore two months ago, will be here for 4 or 5 years at least. Anywhere to pick up Stone beer? Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, any of the other heavy hitters? Thanks

17. I've had quite the opposite experience at Brewerkz. (Though never seen the head brewer, which I'm sure is an entirely different conversation than with the general wait staff.)

18. Depends on what side of the island you are on:
    99 Bottles (East): https://www.facebook.com/goodbeersg/info - Same guy owns both, but is just managing everything under "Good Beer Company" right now so that is where all the info is at. You can also go to the Good Beer Company in Chinatown to pick up Stone, but the prices are a few dollars higher.
    Brewer's Craft (West): http://www.brewerscraft.com.sg/brewerscraft/Home.html or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brewers-Craft/285716658127259 - Haven't been here yet as the two times I was trying to go he wasn't open.

19. gsequiera

gsequiera Initiate (15) Oct 7, 2012

I just moved to Singapore last week. Was exploring the mall nearby my new place and happened to pass by this beer shop at Liang Court which has a huge collection.

20. BS-

BS- Aficionado (135) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

Hey Cooper! Never noticed this thread before. I usually get my stuff from Brewers' Craft. You can actually drop Meng Chao (the owner) a message just to make sure he's there before heading down.

Anyways, a few of us are in this fb group where we share events and stuff, so join the group and we could maybe have some beers together, raid Daniel or something. http://www.facebook.com/groups/249091321886131/

21. I'll be in Singapore in June for Beerfest Asia. Anyone attended this event before? I'm in the city for 4 days and was wondering if its worthwhile to spend more than one day at the festival. I'd like to drop in at some of the breweries and good beer bars while I'm there too. Any information is appreciated. Cheers!

22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,040) Colorado May 19, 2005

I went to the Singapore Beer Fest in 2008 and had a blast. But I think that group folded and Beerfest Asia took its place. With that in mind, the beers at SBF were varied and good. Seems like a lot of British and Aussie beers, with some from Namibia, Mongolia and S. Africa, as well as Asia. Would love to go back. Worth one day, anything more would depend on what you want to do in Singapore.

23. been in a singapore for a while now (and just joined this forum recently), and i must say, from the ones i've been to, it's pretty spot on! amazing job with the list :)
    now for me to check out the ones i HAVEN'T been to yet.

24. Not a problem and I would say that the Singapore beer scene is rapidly evolving and has changed quite a bit since I put the list together, though for the most part it still holds true.

Some of my tweaks aside from what has already been mentioned:

• My personal opinion is that Brewerkz quality has faded somewhat (The beers have been hit and miss even on the ones I've liked in the past)
    • The Great Beer Experiment at the Grandstand at Turf City in the PasarBella market has a great selection of beer and lots of restaurants surrounding it to find good food. (Seriously, if you haven't been to PasarBella get over there...today.)

25. do you guys know if there are any decent beer places by tampines? gonna be visiting over summer.

26. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (200) Australia Jul 9, 2008

Hi all,
    Anyone got anymore updates?
    I am going to try out the pasarbella and Good Beer Company as suggested above,
    also anything worth checking out near Johor Bahru?
    Also if anyone is keen of meeting for a beer , let me know
    Cheers

sinkas

27. Cdulay1

Cdulay1 Aficionado (110) New Jersey Sep 24, 2014

I'll be moving to Singapore in January from the US. Are there any recommendations for places that sell good american craft beer? I read the Good Beer Company has a decent selection.

28. There are quite a few establishments that sell good American craft beer. Most are mentioned in this thread, though for to go: Brewer's Craft, 99 Bottles, Thirsty, and The Great Beer Experiment are probably your best bet depending on where you live.

29. Cdulay1

Cdulay1 Aficionado (110) New Jersey Sep 24, 2014

^^ Just saw your response. Thanks for the intel! Would anyone know if there are restrictions with bringing bottles over in my luggage from the U.S. to SG? Thinking about bringing 5-6 22oz bombers to make my transition easier :)

30. It is not an issue (I do it all the time), just declare it to customs. There are offices right there in baggage claim and then go through the red channel. There is a 2 liter (or is it 1...?) personal exemption and then a duty/tax to be paid after that. Must declare everything. Duty based on alcohol volume, but it isn't too bad. Check out the Singapore customs web site as they lay it out pretty well.

You need an importer license for any total liquid quantity over 10 liters. (IIRC)