1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Single Hop All Nugget IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by geneseohawk, Mar 4, 2012.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Was wondering if anyone had a good all nugget ipa recipe they could share? I have used the following recipe with all citra and it came out awesome. Was just thinking of switching citra for nugget.

3.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 49.02 %
    3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 39.22 %

0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain3.92 %
    0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
    0.30 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %

0.70 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)Hops 22.7 IBU
    2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
    0.75 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
    0.75 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
    1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
    1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs

American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Yeast-Ale

2. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

As the Citra version turned out well, I say go for it. No better way to get to know a particular hop.

3. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

If you're trying to get that Nugget melon mango tropical note I would up the 5 and 10 min additions. I like your malt bill except for the melonoiden. Personally I would skip that for a Nugget IPA. When you add the Nuggets near the end of the boil if you stick around you will smell those melon mango notes blossom. I've been experimenting using a closed hop back to try to capture those notes and keep them in the beer. I have batch planned next month.

4. Why are you using crystal 10 and 60? Why not just use a half pound of 40?

5. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Because crystal malts are not only about color. 10L and 60L will each have their own flavor profiles. 40L does not contribute both flavors.

SwillBilly likes this.
  6. oach

oach Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 8, 2009

Continuing on this idea, the "diversified" usage of the crystal malts will add a more complex profile to the beer rather than a single character from one malt.

7. Dude your telling me you could taste 10 and 60 at amounts of .3 pounds in a batch of beer? That is total BS.

8. mnstorm99

Basically yes, I am telling you that. Put this beer next to the same recipe with .6# of crystal 40L, and the beers will taste different. For what it's worth, if I'm not tasting them side by side, I probably couldn't tell you the difference...I'll give you that.

To the OP, I would consider that the extract already contains crystal malts. Just something to think of.

9. You will definitely get character out of .3lbs of crystal malts. And with a relatively low expected finishing gravity, you can expect some nice subtle character to balance the hop notes. You don't need to use 1+ lb(s) of specialty malts to know that its there... its BS to think otherwise.

As a point of critique, I would get rid of the melanoidin malt. It does need to be mashed but even if you were to mash or partial mash, the way american hops age with rich melanoidins produces an off-putting combo. You could always steep some amber malt to get a nice dry bready note to replace the melanoidin character.

As for Nugget hops... i love em, should use them more and find them to be one of the most complex varieties out there. You are right on point with the hop variety.

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I'd second removing the melanoidin. Save that for a maltier beer. For this recipe, I'd look to find malt balance with the crystal and the malt extract.

And on that note, this sounds DELICIOUS. Post back and let us know how it came out.

11. I know you get character out of .3 of a specialty malt. What I am saying is it would be difficult to tell the difference between a beer that used .6 of crystal 40 and one that used .3 of 10 and .3 of 40; especially in a beer that is going to be a hop forward beer.

12. mnstorm99

Why would it matter how you get there? The beers would be different (maybe only slightly), but why not use two different crystal malts?

13. I guess I just don't see a point, but if you have the malt already on hand sure; I just wouldn't make a recipe where I have to go out and buy .3 pounds of crystal 60 because I don't have it on hand.

14. mnstorm99

My only point is that it is a different beer, not BS as you stated above.

Also, is it really that hard to get two malts vs. one? Maybe it is, I guess I never thought so.

15. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I do not understand why anyone would put crystal malt in an extract IPA anyway :eek:

16. mnstorm99

To add a character to the beer that otherwise wouldn't be there.

17. I can understand putting the crystal malt there. As storm says its going to add character that wouldn't be there otherwise.

I buy grain in bulk so normally I would only have crystal 40 and maybe a 60 or 120 on hand. My point was, in my case, I wouldn't go to the store to just get .3 of a different crystal I would just use the crystal 40 that I already had.

18. mnstorm99

You and I just shop different I guess. I always keep a light crystal (carapils, 10L or 20L) and a medium crystal (40L, 60L and 80L) on hand, so I might use two different crystal malts. I will also admit, that IF I am using crystal malt, I typically only use one type...but I won't discount using two if that is closer to what I am aiming for (how silly it may seem to others).

With all of that said...to this point in my brewing life, my best IPA was 100% Golden Promise o_O

19. Using different grades of crystal provides a very distinct character, which may be desired in certain recipes. It's not uncommon to stack something like Crystal 10 with 40 and 60 to create something with more complex presence than you would get if you simply used Crystal 40.

SwillBilly and mnstorm99 like this.
  20. I would stack different types of crystal in say a brown ale, stout, or other various 'dark' styles, I just don't in a hop forward style. I use carapils and a varying amount of crystal 40 in all of my IPAs.

21. I agree. But all people do not prefer the same things. Some may enjoy pale ales and IPAs with tons of malt character. I usually prefer no cara malts whatsoever, OR very small amounts of it... but nothing past 40L.

22. geneseohawk

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The malt bill comes from a fff zombie dust clone recipe I found. I used it for an all citra ipa and loved it. Thats just where I started for this recipe as a base.

I think I may pull the melanoiden based upon everyone's thoughts and just use the 10L and 60L. ( I bought a pound of each for my citra and just thought I would get 3 batches out of them trying different single hops) I did the citra, nugget is up for next, and then I have some amarillo or pacifica hops I was thinking for the last? Anyone ever brew a single hop pacifica beer before??

One last question- was thinking about using an ESB yeast with the nuggets to bring out the fruity characters. OR would you just go with the 1056? Thanks!

23. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

Perhaps they like the way it tastes?

Weird concept right?

24. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

Carapils is a crystal malt, so you are "stacking" crystal malts by using carapils and crystal 40.

25. I did a single hop Nugget Double IPA earlier this year with WLP002. I love the beer, very melon-y and full body. I mashed low for attenuation, and kept the fermentation temperature low to restrain some of the esters. I'll use WLP001 next time to see where it goes.

26. NiceFly

yea, that crystal 10 is just dripping with flavor.

27. geneseohawk

are you the crystal malt police?

10L- "This light Crystal malt will lend body and mouth feel with a minimum of color, but with a light caramel sweetness".

28. NiceFly

No, just stirring the pot;). I should not have done that.
    Seemed this thread started out about hop substitiution but devolved into a crystal malt debate. I was just playing along.

29. For the pot stirrer...