1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Single or Double Glass Head?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Jazzwalker, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Okay, now that I've got your attention allow me a few moments of your time. I consider myself a collector of beer glasses and like you I really enjoy tasting a great beer out of its branded glass, snifter or otherwise. I consider myself a “Glass Head” (those who love branded glassware). But the real question that I wanted to ask of you is this: When collecting your favorite glassware from your favorite breweries, do you set out to get two of the same glass or are you happy with just one? I myself prefer two of the same glass, but I understand that I may be in the minority. There is something about entertaining a friend and popping open a bottle/bomber and serving it in the same glass.

So, are you a single or double “Glass Head” ?........Go!
  2. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Two
    chanokokoro likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I get one of whatever glass due to space constraints.
  4. HighWine

HighWine Savant (320) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Two with the exception of my Chimay glass, I only have one of those. The reason is that when I got it in 1996 I was the only person I knew who liked Belgian beers. To this day I serve Belgians to my friends in wine goblets or other glasses. Buncha effin noobs!
    Jazzwalker likes this.
  5. One. Though if it's something covetable, I occasionally find myself procuring a second for "futures."
    jgluck likes this.
  6. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Need one, want two!
    cosmicevan likes this.
  7. Sometimes two but usually one..Storage constraints are the main thing now !!
    jgluck and cosmicevan like this.
  8. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Of the over one hundred and twenty different pieces of glassware I have, I would say that I have a second glass for at least eighty of them. I always try to buy two, often three. I store all the duplicate glasses in various cabinets throughout the house out of sight.
    cosmicevan, Ish1 and chanokokoro like this.
  9. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I also always try to get at least two of each glass for same reasons mention. Depending on the specific glassware, I have as much 4-6 glasses. I store my extras in quilted stemware storage boxes available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  10. Typically only one of the same brand for each glass (there are, of course, exceptions), but I like trying to get multiple branded versions of the exact same glass blank so that I can drink with people using the same glass type.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

^--these. as someone who very much uses the glasses i collect, many times i've brought a lot of glasses to a tasting only to break something that i had just one of...plus slippery fingers at the sink. i've broken some pretty hard to replace glasses and had to pay the price to replace it. now i try to only bring out stuff that have duplicates of or be really careful and conscious of not breaking glass, but sometimes a tasting gets out of control and you don't remember how you got home or why there is a broken glass in your pocket.

wow, GREAT tip!
    chanokokoro likes this.
  12. chanokokoro

Some Belgian/Belgian-style chalices are too wide, however, 90% of most glassware will fit.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  13. cosmicevan

i just wish they came in larger sized. a case of 12 is cool but i'd love a massive one that could hold like 50 glasses.

have you ever tried traveling with one? if so, do they travel well? how would i fair taking one on a train and then walking through a city? do they have to be upright and not get much motion or can you carry them like a briefcase with no worry?
  14. chanokokoro

The storage boxes I'm referring to are meant for storage only, however, I do have some 6-compartment portable containers that are cushioned and have a shoulder strap. The can used to carry bottles, glassware, or a combination. They are manufactured with wine and stemware in mind, but I use them all the time for beer and glassware. I have two of them.
  15. cosmicevan

got a link? sounds perfect!
  16. MsRif

MsRif Savant (400) Pennsylvania Oct 23, 2011

It depends on the local availability of a glass. My husband and I were in Massachusetts recently and we picked up a lot of glassware, including a case (12) of Pretty Things wine glasses. Whenever we go to HF, we try to pick up multiples. Generally getting multiples is based on finding ways to trade for other non-local glasses (ie- your Hoppin' Frog snifter for my Pretty Things wine glass). For really uncommon glasses, it's usually hard to get multiples but we do try. Generally though, we don't use the hard to come by glasses and they are for display only. We have about six or seven boxes of extras...plus tons of glasses (around 50) sitting around the house that need to be sorted. I guess that's what happens once you hit the 500 mark in your glassware collection...it's normal...right? Wish I would have picked up multiples of the Cantillon tulip while I could. I didn't realize they weren't going to be available again (still hoping that's just a rumor) :(