SingleCut Beersmiths. Has anyone been?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by jrnyc, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (785) New York Mar 21, 2010

Anyone been to this place in Queens. Only one review so far.

cosmicevan likes this.
  2. Curious about these guys too...anyone?

3. Not to trash on them, but the two IPAs I've tasted were both thin and had an odd sweetness. The pilsner was terrible, very phenolic and tasted like a bad homebrew. I wish these guys the best of luck down the line but right now I'm not impressed.

4. Gmr75

Gmr75 Savant (405) Connecticut Apr 30, 2002

How long ago did you have them? If it was one of the tasting events in NYC over the last year, I'm guessing they were "test batches" - if so, may very well have been homebrewed. The reason I say this is I think they've only released the Lager and Mahogany Ale since opening the brewery. Went down and saw the brewery on opening weekend. Very nice space, good folks, and nice equipment setup. Both of the launch beers were quite solid in my opinion. Not necessarily styles I'd seek out, but I'll certainly make an attempt to try future beer releases.

JxExM likes this.
  5. I work at a bar and they've brought in samples for us to try over the past couple months. Very nice people I just wasn't a fan of the beer.

6. jrnyc

It would be nice to have a local brewery that I loved like some of the West Coast breweries I love. Some pretty good ones in NY metro area, but how awesome would it be to have a local brewery that kicked out great stuff like Alpine, RR, FFF or the Vermont breweries.

We have the best pizza and bagels in the country, is a world class brewery in the greatest city in the world asking too much?

7. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (405) New York Feb 20, 2008

I say we relocate Shaun Hill to Astoria.

8. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

The fact that NYC's "representative" brewpub is Heartland brewery is disgraceful. Though I did get a chance to go to 508 Gastrobrewery recently and those guys are making some decent beers. Their Gueuze and Imperial stout were pretty tasty!

JxExM likes this.
  9. BeerWorld

I only had one beer from Singlecut (NW Dean?) and thought it was just ok. Speaking of 508 Gastrobrewery, isn't Mr. Cuzme the main guy there now?

10. I believe that's the case. Been meaning to pay a visit there for a while now.

11. SpeedwayJim

Their Greenwich Gueuze and Montezuma Imperial Stout are both pretty solid.

12. Billolick

Billolick Champion (820) New York Dec 20, 2003

howabout locals: Captain Lawrence and SixPoint? Dont pass on Rushing Duck when you see it in the NYC area

13. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (575) New York Feb 18, 2009

Like Billolick said, no Sixpoint love? (Capt. Lawrence doesn't qualify as NYC, being in Westchester and all). Also - Brooklyn Brewery? Bronx Brewery? Kelso?

Looking forward to at least visiting their tasting room, as my sister-in-law lives in Astoria. That said, while NYC doesn't house any good breweries, NYC as a whole is starting to really blossom.

14. SpeedwayJim

I agree about Captain Lawrence to an extent. Their barrel-aged sours have been, for the most part, very solid and their IIPA is very good also, but the rest of their regular lineup is nothing to write home about.

As far as Sixpoint, Bronx, Kelso, and Brooklyn Brewery are concerned.... nope. IMO, that's what I mean about NYC breweries being far outpaced by breweries from other states. But to each their own I guess.

Also, the above mentioned places are all breweries, not brewpubs. Of which I know of only the 2 (508 and Heartland).

15. Anyone familiar with this brewer? Try any of their beers? They are NY based. A friend of mine now works there as a seller, and I know nothing about them. I don't see her often, so I haven't had the chance to talk about it or taste any of their stuff. Doesn't look like they even have a profile on BA yet.

16. JxExM

JxExM Savant (480) New York Mar 5, 2012

http://www.singlecutbeer.com/blog/
    I live 5 blocks away. They just opened last month. Nice place, great people. Specializing in Lagers I believe, although they have a "A STEADY STREAM OF IPAS" on the way.
    There is also a performance area with a drum kit set up for live music.

17. Well, looks like you need to do all of us a favor and head over to try all the brews - then report back. So are they a pirate theme or something?

JxExM likes this.
  18. JxExM

JxExM Savant (480) New York Mar 5, 2012

Ha. Will do. The brewer/owner is a also a musician. "SingleCut" is a reference to the PRS singlecut guitar. Each tap handle is modeled after a guitar neck and headstock.

TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  19. slander

slander Site Editor (590) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

20. The tasting room is blocks from my house, which is awesome. I had early samples as well, some were great and some were so-so. Their main focus is Lagers, and they just opened, so its a little too early to be judging just yet I think. The samples were home-brews and not on the big system. Although, I had a really good sample bottle that was a hoppy citrus Pale Ale, that they'll probably be brewing and changing the name sometime down the road. It reminded me of a Maine Peeper/MO (no joke) They are making some nice lagers, and are aging their Dark Lyric Lager (black lager) in Jamaican Rum Barrels right now. Curious to see how that comes out, but the Dark Lyric is a nice bitter/roasty black in itself. If you happen to stop by axeman, drop me a message.

JxExM and axeman9182 like this.
  21. jrnyc

A friend of mine went last night and said they just released an IPA and a DIPA that were really good.

22. Yeah the IPA is pretty solid: crisp, w/ some hop bite., the double IPA is more impressive, big hops, slight fruit/citrus flavor with well balanced malt in the end

23. BeerWorld

Stopped by today for the first time. Great space. Nice place to hang out at. Good beers. My fav was Jan Olympic Lager. It was buzzing with folks an hour after the open which was great to see. All in all a great vibe. My only issue was a pricing point for some of the growler fills. $18 for a single ipa for 64oz and $26! for a double ipa. Otherwise a cool place to stop by to have a pint or two or a flight.

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  24. yeah the prices for the IPAs were a bit much from the source...

jrnyc likes this.
  25. jrnyc

I hit Singlecut today. Cool place. Was jam packed. I had the Full Stack DIPA , really nice smell, good taste, really good beer. Growler fills out of control though, $26 at the brewery is obscene. Looks like they are doing well, plenty of people in there drinking and buying growlers.

26. I was there last night. That price is insane for the beer. Beyond that though, the glass costs blew my mind. $10 for a 32oz swingtop and fucking $20 for a 2L swingtop.

jrnyc likes this.
  27. jrnyc

You know what, it seemed like so many people were getting growler fills. Maybe when the novelty wears off people will buy less. I brought my own growler, didn't realize the price for the growler was so expensive. Also, the pints were expensive, $8 for a 13 oz pour at the brewery is ridiculous.

I like the place, but those prices are unfair. When i visit the breweries in SoCal, much better beer is much cheaper.

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  28. I liked the place a lot also. My wife and I went with another couple after dinner in Astoria. Each couple ordered a flight of their 5 beers for $10 which I didn't think was too crazy but when I saw those glass prices I was shocked. I was seriously surprised to see anyone with a growler given the cost.

29. BeerWorld

My sentiments exactly. I had no problem paying for my flight of all beers they had had on tap but their growler fill prices had me scratching my head ( I had my own glass). How can you possibly charge $26 for a dipa for a local product at the brew pub? Mind blowing. Also, when you can go to another establishment and get the same growler cheaper, that does not sound right to me. Otherwise, I had a good time when I was there.

jrnyc likes this.
  30. zipper8650

zipper8650 Savant (250) New York May 10, 2011

Was there Sat., the DIPA was good, 1933 Lager ok and did not like the rest.

31. Yeah prices are crazy for a new brewery. Especially the growlers. Should have let me know, I live 2 blocks from the brewery.

32. It was seriously a last minute decision after eating at MexiBBQ on 30th ave and it didn't even cross my mind. Next time for sure.

33. BeerWorld

MexiQ is a hoppin' place though. How did you like the atmosphere and the draft selection?

34. I've been there a few times and have always enjoyed it. The tap selection is decent. I think I had a Union Jack and a Green Flash West Coast.