1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Feb 24, 2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Greetings BAs!

Good news. I've managed to sync-up most of the pre-new forum member's content (reviews, hads, etc). We're syncing less active members now. I've also adjusted the code to authenticate users using the new forum user database and permissions. This means that by 12:15pm/EST today registered members (old and new) should be able to post content (reviews, hads, etc) on the site now.

http://beeradvocate.com

Working:
    • Post reviews of beers/places; as well as edit and delete your own reviews.
    • Add and manage your Hads, Wants, Gots.
    • Add calendar entries; as well as edit if you're the submitter.
    • RSVP to an event.
    • Add pics for beers/places.
    • Add change requests.
    • Submit new beers/places.
    • View your old Beer Mails; read only, not posting of new ones; delete or forward to your email.
    Not Working / Removed:
    • Main beer trading pages for beers are down until we sync them up. No ETA yet.
    • Beer Mail; use Conversations now on the BA Community site.
    • Profile pages. However if you need to grab old info from yours simply go to: http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/{YOUR_USERNAME}. We'll leave this page up for a while, but note that it's not functional in any way and will only display About info which was not migrated over.
    • User pics under beer/place reviews. We'll be syncing these up soon though.
    • User location under beer/place reviews. We're considering options.
    • Ability to report reviews/events and approval notifications. We're retooling how this works as it was all Beer Mail-based, which is no longer.
    • User stats. We're looking at ways to integrate user stats for non-forum content, but for now it's not available; thought being tracked. This includes viewing other user stats.
    • Beer 101. Many pages need updating. We'll get to it.
    • Calendar. Sorting. We're working on it.
    Notes:
    • There will be a visual disconnect between the BA site and new BA community site until we integrate them. We'll continue to post updates of our progress, but just wanted to make everyone aware of it and that we're working on it. Please be patient.
    • Tip: Open two windows or tabs. One for BA and one for the new BA Community until we sync the two.
    • A very small group of users failed to be imported. If you try to log into your previous account, but can't because it's not there, please send me a personal note or email. Include your original username and I should be able to sync your old content to a new account.
    And aside from Jason helping me test, I'm a one-man show with all of this tech stuff here at BeerAdvocate. If you have any issues, please send me a private note or email; todd@ the obvious domain. This will allow me to better help each issue. I can't read every thread or post, so I won't be able to help otherwise.

Finally, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Thanks to all of you for hanging in there with us! The bro and I truly appreciate your patience and support as we tackle growing pains and bring BeerAdvocate online to the next level.

Cheers!

Todd (and Jason)
    rcusick, EdTheEdge, Etan and 5 others like this.
  2. That's a bit of good news
  3. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

My OCD is going to calm down very soon!!!

Happy Camper!!
    mdaschaf likes this.
  4. Awesome thanks for all the hard work you've put in over the last couple of weeks!
  5. Thanks for all your (everyones) hard work! Cheers!
    TravisSaps likes this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Are events submitted in the last couple of weeks still in the queue or should we resubmit?
  7. Todd

In the queue and many have already been processed.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

OK, Thanks!
  9. Are the new updates going to be automatic or do we have to logout then log back in or something?
  10. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I look forward to the forums and the site being further integrated. The disconnect between them right now is huge but frankly I'm just glad the forums are up. Also very happy to get my old BMs back. Thanks for putting in the long hours!
  11. Todd

Just go to the old site. http://beeradvocate.com
  12. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Is there, or is there going to be, the ability to check out different posters beer review histories like the old format used to allow? Click on the poster name and it takes you to a page with their history of reviews?

Will that come with further integration between the two sites?
    angrybabboon likes this.
  13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

If you were to add content right now (by reviews and what not) would your "stats" be updated? I notice there is no way of seeing your "stats" being updated currently I assume this is something you are still working on.

Thanks for all the work.
  14. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Savant (410) Delaware Dec 4, 2007

still don't see wants/gots. they are on the side of the screen but I can not access them. When you click on the wants link it says no one has that beer on their wants lists. Looking forward to getting back into this, thanks!
  15. I am sure this is an epic hard time for you Todd. Don't forget to relax with a beer every now and then as you pore over the coding.
  16. slvrmon82

I viewed my profile from google. try it.
  17. Todd

Try the left hand nav. Your: Beers | Places.
  18. ngeunit1

ngeunit1 Savant (385) California Jul 10, 2009

Good call, that worked for me.
  19. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Excellent, glad everything is coming together.
  20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Good news. Thanks for all your hard work, you definitely deserve a beer.
  21. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Well you couldn't tickle me pinker!
    I've got some reviews to type up!
  22. slvrmon82

Thanks Todd that helps. However when I click on who wants that beer or who has that beer (the links next to the numbers) they both come up with 0. So I can't find who has those beers that I want. Thanks for all that you do!
  23. Very cool to see things coming together. :cool:
  24. Todd

As posted, this page is currently not working and pending an update. I've disabled it completely to avoid further confusions. Thanks!
  25. Jcb890

Jcb890 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 28, 2008

Cool! Thanks guys.
  26. RoryOMoore

RoryOMoore Savant (435) New Jersey Mar 26, 2009

27. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

awesome - cant wait to upload some more reviews this weekend!
  28. aorloski

aorloski Savant (370) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

i am wondering this same thing, any light to be shed on this information?
    gkunkle and JohnWaynes44 like this.
  29. Will we be able access our trade history for references from our old profile? From what Tood said, "About info which was not migrated over." So does this mean if we listed who we completed trades with is gone? Cheers guys, thanks for all the hard work!
  30. I was wondering that as well.
  31. I just googlesearched your name and was able to pull up all your profile info. Fancy that. I will send it to you in a message if you so care.
    cubbyswans likes this.
  32. holy crap! thanks dude! i just got the info in my gmail, kudos to you good sir
  33. No problem, cheers!
  34. That was fast! Working non stop i see.
  35. Todd

Yep. I've had about 3-5 hours sleep every night since Saturday. Looking forward to relaxing a bit and coding/testing in a less frenzied manner.
  36. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

OK, I just ticked something. I feel better. I really can't wait for the site to be integrated into a single thought again. I'm sure it will be epic/whale/haul worthy.
  37. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

ISO: Epic/whale/haul BA beer overhaul FT: witty banter.

Convo me, poste haste :D
  38. Very happy to see my reviews are back, thank you! Keep up the good work. [​IMG]
    yamar68 likes this.