1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Feb 27, 2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Hey BAs -

First, if you've yet to read the last round of updates: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-feb-24-2012.750/

As for this round ...

User/Content Sync

• Conversion of 285,000+ users is complete. This means that any non-forum content has been synced to their migrated account. Took 5+ days to complete! Would have been 10 days if we hadn't purged 250,000+ inactive users before the migration.
    • I mentioned that a small group of users failed to be migrated over. Good news is that any content they had is intact and I'm creating a script to sync them on a case by case basis.
    • If you suspect that you're one of these users (i.e. - you can't log in using your username) please contact me via email: todd@the obvious. You'll need to create a new account and prove that your old one belongs to you. If you've already contacted me, please be patient. I'll get to you.
    Old/New Site Visual Integration

As mentioned previously, there's obviously a big disconnect between the two sites visually. I'm working on this as I type. It's a big job, and I'm still wrapping my head around some of the intricacies, but I'll keep everyone posted with my progress. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA, but it's a very high priority of mine.

Profiles/Existing Content

This is a note for those who've yet to read any of the other updates.

• Old profiles and the old beer karma are no more. As posted earlier we're looking at different ways to integrate user stats and reward users for their site contributions.
    • To view your beer reviews, hads, wants and gots: http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers
    • To view your place reviews: http://beeradvocate.com/user/places
    • To view another user's reviews: append "?ba={username}" to the above URLs; w/o the quotes. This is just a work-around for now.
    • Forum posts have been saved, but are not accessible. We plan on archiving these as static content in the future.
    That's it for now. I'll continue to drop these updates when I have more.

And thanks again for your support and patience!

Cheers!

stawn likes this.
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I really wish there was a way for you to find out how many emails get sent to "todd@the obvious"...

3. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

All the best with the integration Todd, great renovation.

4. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Whoever has done this is stupid beyond comprehension or was drunk off their ass when they did.

5. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Any heads up on rule changes about posting? file sizes, web site pimping etc? also are these forums search engine searchable?
    thanks, just curious.

6. exodus1369

exodus1369 Initiate (0) California Nov 19, 2008

Like the new stuff but... is the "Karma" Gone?

7. No, Karma is not gone. I remember reading that Todd was figuring a way to work it in to the trpophy system (I think).

Either way, from what I read it's not going away.

brewandbbq likes this.
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Awesome

9. ummswimmin

ummswimmin Savant (385) New Jersey Mar 28, 2011

I appreciate all the work going into porting the website over. That is a ton of content to get working properly.

10. Can somebody explain what was sync'ed over today? Perhaps I'm being obtuse but I'm not seeing anything obvious, as my profile looks exactly the same as it did a week ago.

AleWatcher likes this.
  11. Todd

As you're a more active user, your data was synced early. So basically you don't have to worry about it. I'm merely mentioning that it's now complete.

beertunes likes this.
  12. Got it - thanks!

13. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Sweet. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing how you do the visual integration, and what the new format for user stats/rewards will look like.

14. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Thanks for all the hard work, Todd! I can't wait to see the site once visual integration is complete. Cheers!

15. Beejay

Beejay Advocate (505) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

Will be very happy when everything is synced and back up to normal(ish).

16. Any idea when we will be able to view other member's wants, gots, etc? Forgot to mention, Thanks for all the hard work guys!!!

17. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Will the info/stats box from our old profile page be making the migration? The box that showed # of reviews, # of beers/events/places added, rating average, etc? I liked that as a quick way to check on things.

libbey, rudzud, hhkal17 and 1 other person like this.
  18. What exactly was Beer Karma?

19. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (495) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

I'm able to log into my account, but using the above link and inserting my username into it to see my beers isn't working for me, I'm just getting one of those 404 not found errors

RichBeer likes this.
  20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Just click on the link without inserting your name. That worked for me.

21. exodus1369

exodus1369 Initiate (0) California Nov 19, 2008

Good stuff

22. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

i had some info on my profile that i wanted to cut and paste (pending trades and some reason trades i havnt saved yet etc) is it too late to find that info?

i remebr reading somewhere that they can still be viewed but when i put the link it did t come up.

thanks

23. Bitterbill

http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/KevSal

24. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (495) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

perfect! that totally works, thanks man!

25. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Keep up the great work!!!!

26. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

27. Bitterbill

Here's what I did. I went to the original BA site, entered your user name in the search beer. Of course, there were 0 results but the site brings up Google searches and I found your profile listed there and clicked on it:

http://beeradvocate.com/search?q=KevSal&qt=beer

28. You can do it now: http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=woosterbill&view=W. Just replace my username with that of the BA whose wants you want to see, and voila. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works for now.

29. Hey you guys are doing a great job. Can't wait to see the final product. Til then...we drink beer.

30. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Beer Karma is a mystical measurement of what a user puts into BeerAdvocate.com. The more a user contributes, the more Beer Karma the site assigns to the user. It's that simple, yet not.

The Halls of Beerdom
    Whenever you see one of the following vessels (the pics didn't copy to this meessage) next to a user's name it denotes that they have achieved a specific level of Beer Karma and that their names have been scribed into The Halls of Beerdom.

There are currently 12 levels of beerdom, and the terms listed for each level reflect a user's Beer Karma; as it pertains to this site, not their personal beer knowledge or inner Beer Karma.

Beer Karma Points Level of Beerdom
    - Acolyte
    250 Initiate
    500 Disciple
    1000 Zealot of Beer
    1500 Aficionado
    2500 Connoisseur
    3500 Beer Savant
    5000 Champion of Beer
    7000 Pooh-Bah
    10000 Grand Pooh-Bah
    15000 Grand High Pooh-Bah
    ‡ Order of the Eternal Beer (a BA fez! hell yeah!)

Notes:
    "Order of the Eternal Beer" is reserved for a select few and issued by The Alström Bros. It must be earned.
    Forum posts on the topic of Beer Karma will be removed, and messages to us will be ignored. Nothing personal, it's just the way of Beer Karma.
    Seek not the origins of Beer Karma

---
    Yes, we made some changes to Beer Karma yesterday, with another update occurring right now, and probably another one next week. Beer Karma always changes ... but it's nothing to worry about, or get all mad about, or leave the site over. It's simply a measure of what people put into the site. Nothing more ... but to make it more than what it is or put a tremendous amount of focus on it is absolutely ridiculous - one of the reasons why it only appears on profile pages and in the form of an icon now.

Furthermore, except for user specific updates to Beer Karma, if it changes for one user, it changes for all. And Beer Karma is only deducted if something that was put into the site is removed (forum post, review, etc), or if the formula for calculating it changes.

Some suggest that Beer Karma should actually go away. It's not going to. It's a harmless feature of the site and should be taken lightly and, again, viewed as nothing more than a measure of what people put into the site.

Seek not the origins of Beer Karma.

---

TMI?

31. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

It's fun to be involved and active with a site where the owners actually give a damn and want to make things better and more user friendly. Can't wait for the finished project. Great job Bros!

32. Yes, but that doesn't tell me what its use was.
    Seemed pretty useless.

EricCioe and yamar68 like this.
  33. I thought the old site was amazing ..With that said the new one TOTALLY blows that one away !!! Great job

34. Stankonia

Stankonia Aficionado (195) Idaho Dec 17, 2010

Are we ever going to be able to see a user's location under their user name?

Duff27 and wcintula like this.
  35. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I completely agree.

36. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Did the site just go offline for a minute for anyone else? I'm guessing more syncing is going on, but it was down for me for a couple of minutes.

37. Todd

Yep. Had to apply some changes to the database for better data integrity, speed and scalability.

38. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Will we get any stats on brews, such as:

1) Number reviewed by style
    2) Average review by style
    3) Average total review

Duff27 likes this.
  39. Todd

Yep. As posted a few times now we're looking into ways of display beer/place review stats for users. Unfortunately I have a ton on my plate and I'm only coder, but we'll get there ...

40. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

No hurry. Just get the site working! Just glad I was able to access BMs, etc. to complete trades in time for a trip I took last weekend

My 2 cents, I hate the new interface, but meh.