1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Feb 27, 2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I copied and pasted it from the old site into my profile here.
  2. I did such and posted it on my information page. Seems to be working well.
  3. Jcb890

Jcb890 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 28, 2008

Things seem to be going pretty smoothly so far, great job guys. The forums seem to load pretty quick too. The only time I really notice it being slow sometimes is the first page I open or when I first open up the forums.
  4. As I get my 'sea legs' on the new forum layout I'm really loving it. I don't think I could go back to the old one! Great job, Bros.
    leedorham likes this.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm with you on that one. This format does seem to decrease the potential for shitstorm reply wars though. Not sure how I feel about that as sometimes those were really entertaining.
  6. nice color change!
  7. Jcb890

The colors!
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Not done yet. Talking to Jason about that peach crap. More updates soon!
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Definitely digging the black! With you on the "peach crap"
  10. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

We all know you wanted Chartreuse Todd.. ;)
  11. Jcb890

It is showing as a gray/light gray for me, no black. Yeah, get rid of the peach and put something more manly in there like pink or purple!
  12. Todd

No black. Shades of grey across the board for now.
  13. leedorham

Not liking the gray so much either. Some kind of Tan/Sand color scheme might be nice. I can never tell until I see it.

Edit: Ok, it's settling it a little bit. I'll give it a shot.
  14. leedorham

Shades of Grey = officially the worst STTNG episode.
  15. Jcb890

IMO, it all looks very "dull" right now. Having a bunch of it be gray is cool. Having everything gray just makes it look dull and boring, IMO. I'm assuming that this is just how it'll look for the moment being as you guys are working on it still. I guess I should reserve judgement until its "done".
    Thorpe429 and ShogoKawada like this.
  16. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Well, we just have to spice it up with our own COLORS!

I'm just kidding. Don't ever, ever do that, anyone. Using custom colors and fonts saddens me, and I already feel bad for what I did above. (Bold/italic font is fine, though.)

Back on topic, I like the gray theme, on the whole. I'm looking forward to further integration.
  17. Liking the gray so far but would love to see some white letters with a black background with a yellow trim.
  18. Todd

19. leedorham

How about white letters with a white background? Secret code!
  20. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

The gray is better than the peach, IMO. However, it could use a little bit of color.
  21. Todd

22. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

23. I'm sure you probably get this a lot, and I know you've got a lot on your plate, but is there the prospect of a BA App for android or ios anytime soon? I would seriously love something a bit more fluid than swimming around the website on my smartphone whilst beer shopping...

Other than that, things look great around here! Keep up the good work!
  24. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Hey Todd, I was wondering if going back to the old way of reading a conversation was something that's being worked on. I don't enjoy having to bounce around a thread to get the whole story, and I've heard others mention this as well. Other than that, with the new color scheme, I'm actually starting to enjoy the new forums.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  25. wizo

wizo Savant (255) Quebec (Canada) Mar 17, 2007

Before asking my small request, I have to say you did a great job on upgrading the servers / forums, lightning fast and great job so far!

I did not see a post about this, but will there be a way in the future to show to a non-member the "your beers" section? Before the integration with the new forums, I could send the link (or put in on my website, post it on facebook / twitter, etc.) http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=username to anybody. Now, if the person receiving the link is not a member or simply logged in on the forum, they can't see my list of hads, gots, etc.
  26. Ricochet

Ricochet Savant (315) Ohio Jul 2, 2004

After I got re-logged in, lots more options! (Good thing I still had my avatar.) Nice to see the updates and the purge of inactive users. Thanks again for keeping BA the best beer review site!
  27. trixdout

trixdout Savant (255) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

I gotta say, this new site is awesome. I like how their is a help section for editing how you type and the smilees and stuff. Koolio
  28. BA Apps are something the bros are working on, but there's been no update other than 'we're looking into it'. They did mention the fact that they are hiring some new tech guys this year, I imagine that with the main site rebuild they're going to tie in an App or two.
  29. Todd

Yeah, as soon as we sync the rest of the site to the BA Community we'll be looking to tackle a ton of online projects. One of these being the development mobile services.
  30. Very cool. When it rolls out I might finally break down and get a smart phone!
    FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  31. CuriousMonk

CuriousMonk Savant (470) Virginia Dec 24, 2010

I'm so sad still.. I miss the old format. So easy and quick to navigate. :(
    MrMcGibblets likes this.
  32. ColoradoBobs

ColoradoBobs Savant (480) Colorado Feb 21, 2004

My 2 cents (or perhaps a ha'penny).

Bag the apps. Permanently. Other social sites have apps, and they are nothing but a waste of time.

Please, just give us back easy access to reviews. The reviews were always the very best feature of the old site.

I repeat:
    The.
    Very.
    Best.
    Feature.
  33. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

I'm Mr. Clueless here, but what are these apps you speak of?
  34. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Would it be easy to change replies such that instead of just the text the person typed, you get anyone they replied to as well. This would make things much much easier to follow. It might get a bit busy, but what you possibly give up in appearance, you more than get back in functionality.
  35. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

EDIT: Oh wait, I totally misunderstood what you meant. Nested quotes would be a neat feature, but I don't think it would be worth the clutter. In a short thread, it's easy enough just to skim over the whole thing and know what's going on. In a long thread, you'd get obscenely nested replies in every single post (of course people would start modifying that manually, but sane defaults are nice).

A happy medium might be to include two levels of quotes (so if user A replied to this post, they would get your post quoted as well, but if user B replied to A's post, they'd just have me and A). I doubt that's supported in the forum software, though.

To help follow conversation, I do like the little ↑ link in the quote title, which lets you jump up to the replied-to post.
  36. wcintula

wcintula Savant (335) New York May 2, 2010

Alright. I didn't want to offer feedback until actually partaking in the new changes. What I've done/been able to do so far, I like. Sweet work.
  37. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

For those who don't like this style of forum, with quotes replacing the nested stuff: BA was one of a deep, deep minority of sites still using that. This is a clear upgrade. I'm on maybe 8 forums, 3 of them regular, and other than BA all of them have been set up in this format for many years. Like a decade. The other format is outdated.
    jimmy666 likes this.
  38. ColoradoBobs

The Bros indicated that they were thinking of adding some apps to the forums (a la facebook, or some such), and I was simply opining that such apps would be superfluous at best, deleterious in all probability, and beside the point absolutely.
  39. Todd

We were talking about mobile apps/services.
  40. ColoradoBobs

Gotcha. I was hoping that you were going to turn this into a beer version of facebook, so we'd all be getting invitations to stupid games like "Dip You Wicker" and "Whack Your Poker."

Bless you for your wisdom and judicious restraints. Apps be damned!

I'm still holding out for the kind of B-A site from which I can actually SHOP FOR BEERS.