1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Feb 27, 2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Hey Todd, I've read through all the other updates, and maybe I missed it, but through the integration will our other stats, like beer/place pics added and beers/places added be retained with our profiles?! Just curious. Thanks again, the new site is looking great!!
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

As posted, we're looking at ways to integrate user stats.
  3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Was this a reply to me?

"Hey Todd, I was wondering if going back to the old way of reading a conversation was something that's being worked on. I don't enjoy having to bounce around a thread to get the whole story, and I've heard others mention this as well. Other than that, with the new color scheme, I'm actually starting to enjoy the new forums."

Cuz without it being below mine, I have no way of knowing. ;)

I just don't see how this is better. It may be an upgrade to what everyone else is doing, but what's that thing my parents were always telling me about friends and bridges?...

Edit: I don't know why I bothered replying... You'll never read it cuz you won't know I replied to you unless you read every post in the thread. :(
    UncleJimbo and CBlack85 like this.
  4. pj2577

pj2577 Zealot (90) Rhode Island Nov 17, 2007

"Peach crap", i am really liking that one!
  5. Not all change represents progress; being outdated isn't necessarily a sign of being inferior; the fact that everyone else is doing something is not proof that it's a good idea.

I think we all understand that the new format is more technologically advanced than the old home-grown one, with tons of great new features, but that doesn't mean that it's better in every single way. It's pretty obvious that the flat layout does a worse job of organizing a thread based on back-and-forth conversation, and nothing anyone has said has proven otherwise.

The old BA was undoubtedly a relic, but I thought it was the single best forum on the internet for fostering meaningful debate among posters. While I love the increased functionality that has come with the update, I'm saddened that catching up with the rest of the pack has meant jettisoning a feature that set the site apart in a positive way.

I just hope that there's some way to improve the new forums so as to foster back-and-forth exchanges - perhaps the addition of down-arrows in posts that have been replied to, similar to the up-arrows currently found in replies. Now that replies are no longer placed directly next to a post, we could really use some indication that a post has been replied to - otherwise long threads make actual discourse almost impossible.
  6. You have not discovered the alert system yet, I see.
    rogueleonardi and gatornation like this.
  7. dvelcich

I have now. Still, as the poster above said, this if a big hindrance to good back and forth conversation, but maybe that's intended. Harder to have an argument that requires moderation when you have to work for it.
  8. Todd

Well, that's an just opinion (which is cool for those who agree) ... not fact (for everyone else).
  9. dvelcich

Just trying out the new features. ;)

As for what I said, it wasn't directed strictly at you. I was pointing out that someone ten years ago or whatever decided that this format creates less out of control arguments because of the added steps of weeding through the thread. And maybe I'm wrong here, but if someone posts a quote of someone who quoted you, starting a multi-person conversation, you don't get that alert, right? That takes you out of the conversation.
  10. jar2574

jar2574 Savant (280) Missouri Mar 17, 2007

The site looks fine to me, but like many others I am eagerly awaiting the day that I can see my old reviews again. Thanks for all the hard work!
  11. I don't like this new format AT ALL. this could end my use of this site
    azorie likes this.
  12. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Getting used to the new BA, slowly but surely. Will home state and "member since..." be restored to underneath the avatar? Forgive me if this has been answered before; I am probably the least tech savvy guy on the Internet.
  13. location- currently, no- it's a free-form field that people could put anything into and is likely to be abused. member since- unclear, there is a new system of achievements the bros. are working on that has yet to be rolled out.
  14. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Thanx, Shogo.
  15. pwoody11

pwoody11 Savant (445) Delaware Nov 23, 2009

What about "Member Since" is that gone?
  16. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

17. Todd

You mean these? http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=jar2574 They've been there the whole time. "Your: Beers | Places"
    Bitterbill likes this.
  18. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

I can't be the only one who's figured this out yet-all you have to do is click on the avatar to see the location and member since?
    ShogoKawada and Bitterbill like this.
  19. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

No, since you quoted me I actually received an alert saying that you quoted my post in this thread. As long as members learn to quote points that they are responding to, there will likely be more awareness of back and forth in conversation.

To those of you who don't like it: try it out for a while. You will get used to it and you will wonder how you ever read a forum not in this format.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  20. animal69

animal69 Advocate (570) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Nope, don't like it, i'm getting old and change scares me
  21. dvelcich

Here's a perfect example. Shogo responded to me already to tell me that. I didn't know about the alert system, but you didn't know he did that unless you read every post in the thread. It's making a multi-person conversation harder to follow. I'm not going to beat my head against a wall, but no one is going to convince me that this is better.
    bpgpitt10, Paul68 and CBlack85 like this.
  22. Todd

To each their own.
  23. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

There's an easy fix for that. Make it a selection from a drop-down menu.
  24. Todd

25. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Sorry, missed that thread. Am I missing a way to see the (x) most recent threads in each subforum without clicking through all of them, like the old system? It made it a lot easier to keep track of what was going on. I'm aware of the "Latest" feature, but that's not as useful if you haven't already been closely tracking the subforum.

Thanks for the work. The site's looking really nice.
  26. Billolick

Billolick Champion (790) New York Dec 20, 2003

I miss BEER KARMA...sorry if I missed the post/thread about it....but is it gonna come back? Oh and howabout my old avatar? Is it gonna return when all changes are done, or should I relearn how to post another one?
  27. Todd

Yeah, you might want to read all of the updates before replying. All of the answers are there. ;)
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  28. I know the "report" feature for reviews is offline due to it being part of the old Beermail system, but is there any interim option before the reviews get fully integrated? I found a flaggable review just now, and I'm just itching to be a tattle-tale...:rolleyes:
  29. Todd

Send us a conversation with the link.
  30. Just wanted to say I really like the new forums. Cheers and thank you!