1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Mar 5, 2012

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Greetings!

Thought I'd drop another update as to where we're at, as well as repeat some answers to some of the more common questions that have come up over the last week or so.

Previous updates:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/announcements.49/

What are you working on right now?
    • Upgrading "Conversations" tonight: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/upgrade-conversations.3081/
    • Wrapping "the old" BeerAdvocate site in a template that's very similar to the BeerAdvocate Community look and feel. This integration is a rather large project, so please be patient.
    • Visual template adjustments.
    • Reorganization of the forums, including adding more regional sub-forms.
    Where's my account?
    If you suspect you're one of the very few who failed to get migrated over, read this: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-missing-account.3036/ ... we can sync you up quick.

Where are my beer/place reviews?
    It's all still there.
    What about my beer karma?
    As posted in previous updates, we're still tracking all user submissions. However contributions in the form of displayed points is currently not available. We'll be working on new ways of incorporating and displaying your "beer karma."

Can I review?
    Yep! You can still review beers/places, add/remove hads, wants and gots, as well as add beers, places and events. Basically, you can do just about everything you could before.

Is this the site redesign you guys were talking about?
    Nope. This is our dealing with our old forums going critical mass on us, which forced us to upgrade our servers and select a 3rd party forum/user management solution.

When will things go back to normal?
    {sigh} If you're asking this right now, please try reading all of the updates again.

Are you planning on creating mobile apps?
    Totally unrelated, but yes. We're dedicated to launching mobile services in 2012, but we have bigger fish to fry right now.

Feedback & Help:
    There's been quite a bit feedback and discussions on other items too. Please take a look here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/feedback-help.32/

Much more to follow ...

Thanks again for your patience and support! It's made all of this much easier for us to deal with.

Cheers!

2. mobile app mobile app mobile app! :eek:

3. Thanks again for all your hard work.

4. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Man this is great news, best beer site on the web!

BraveGator likes this.
  5. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

We all appreciate all of your hard work. You deserve a big:

Thank you :)

generallee and budgood1 like this.
  7. Billolick

Billolick Champion (800) New York Dec 20, 2003

great stuff, many thanks for all youse guys do!

8. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

You guys are killing it, keep up the hard work.

9. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Nice job Todd! Have a beer (Yes its 11:37 on the East Coast) So what.

Cheers!

10. Opening up a Nugget Nectar right after this class...

11. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

If it wasnt 9AM on the West Coast I would crack something. Sadly I am stuck at work.

Cheers!

12. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I know that everything is still working (reviews, etc) but I definitely have tapered my contributions in those areas since the changes. I can't wait until everything gets synched up again...

brew3crew likes this.
  13. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Thank you guys so much.

14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

cavedave happy site working good make happy good beer people liking happy good. todd make much hard work hard work make much good cavedave happy.

15. Greta job guys, I run multiple forums with no where near the custom coding you had done here....can't imagine the headaches.

(I do like the forum here better than the old....just saying...lol.)

16. animal69

animal69 Advocate (595) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

The things we do for the love of beer, keep up the good work !

17. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Loving the new forums, but would also love to see "beer karma" left out!

Khazadum likes this.
  18. Spider889

Who cares? It only seems like one would actively advocate the removal of something so trivial if they were feeling somehow inadequate because of it. Obviously some people liked it a lot so let them have their fun.

19. Agreed.

20. This has already come up in passing in previous threads, but one problem since the change is that it's impossible to view anyone's reviews if you're not logged in (using the http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba={username} format).

The reason why this is a bummer is that I want to share my reviews to people who are not on BA, preferably by creating an RSS feed of the reviews. Ideally such a feed would be provided by the site, but if not, at least let me access the reviews remotely without logging in so that I can create a feed manually. Is this something that's coming back/changing as the site integration proceeds, or is it gone permanently?

21. Spider889

They have stated numerous times that they're working on reintegrating the old site, though this last update is more unclear than before (sounded like it might not actually be able to ever go back to the old single page format). Time will tell I suppose.

22. Kornoms

Kornoms Savant (255) Texas Apr 4, 2011

Thank You- Our go to beer site!

23. exodus1369

exodus1369 Initiate (0) California Nov 19, 2008

THE best beer site of all time.

24. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Where's my beer glass? Just kidding! :D

25. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Will we ever be able to see a link to a users reviews from the profile page or is this not a part of the future plan...??? This is one of my favorite features of the site and was hoping by now we'd be able to do this but perhaps it is not in the works?

I like clicking on my favorite reviewers profile and seeing what they reviewed recently. Without question this is the feature I miss the most...

26. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Kudos for the updates on the updatess.. Thanks fellas -

27. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

You're doing God's work--Keep it up! We very much appreciate it.