1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Site Update: Status of "The Integration"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Greetings BAs -

Thought I'd drop everyone an overdue update as to where I'm at with the integration of the "old" site and the new BeerAdvocate Community. And my apologies for the delay.

As I previously noted, the integration was bigger than anticipated and I'm but one coder. Beer for Beasts in Brooklyn and preparing for American Craft Beer Fest took up some of our time too. All that aside, I've made some good progress and aim to have initial pages integrated by the end of April.

What's "the integration?" Basically ...
    • Applying the BA Community look and feel to all existing pages.
    • Recoding all existing pages as a result; for reasons I won't bore any of you with.
    • Testing.
    Once this is complete, navigating the site should be seamless from a visual point of view. From there, our next high-priority will be wrapping-up how we apply user submissions and their associated stats and hooking whatever solution we come up with into all of this. This includes being able to view submissions/stats for other users. We'll be working on this immediately as we know how important it is for everyone.

Anyway, that's it for now and we'll definitely post more when we have more to share.

For more on all of this: http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/announcements.49/

Thanks for your patience and continued support.

Cheers!

shand, 4balance and yamar68 like this.
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Great to hear. Just anecdotal but I've noticed myself browsing beers a lot less since the new community went up. Extra clicks and whatnot.

Thanks for the update.

3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Thanks for the update, was wondering where things stood. As for browsing beers/reviews less and looking at both the old and new sites, I've found that saving both sites as favorites (old BA and Community), right next to each other, helps avoid some of those extra clicks.

4. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

Yay, integration! ...although since the sites have been severed I have basically been almost exclusively using the "old" site with all the beers. I hope the new layout doesn't change the functionality of the old sites. Looking forward to the integration.

I assume all of the reviews and such will be backed for the integration.

5. Todd

Nope. Everything will still be there. More of a visual/navigation thing.

No need, as none of this impacts the data. And we do regular back-ups anyway.

ShogoKawada and drabmuh like this.
  6. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Looks good. Can't wait to see how it goes, and what the new idea for the stats will be!

7. ixodus

ixodus Savant (285) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Awesome! Really psyched to for the integration. Thanks for all the hard work.

8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Thanks for all the hard work man, can't wait for it to be done. I'm sure you can't wait for it to be done even more.

9. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Thanks Todd and company. Will beer review statistics reappear with this update?

10. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Thanks for the update Todd. I appreciate the update, and all of your good work.

11. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Still going to make the old forum info accessible in some way? There's a ton of good stuff on there and it would be a shame if it was lost.

12. Todd

WTB someone who reads the updates.;)

13. Agold

I have read the updates. When talking about integrating the sites in the OP, I thought you left out a huge part of integrating the sites: the old forums. That is why I said "Still". Based on the above post, integration is making everything look and feel the same, recoding pages, and testing. Haven't seen an update in over a month so I didn't know if other stuff got in the way or if you decided it wasn't important.

WTB someone who dismisses legitimate questions that would require a one word answer;) .

rpstevens, waltonc and EricCioe like this.
  14. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (300) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

Agreed. If we could get the same links on the forum pages that show up on the left side of the main page, it would go a long way to give it a more integrated feel.

15. Todd

Re: "Still" ... if we decided not to, we would have said so. Nor did we leave it out, we just haven't gotten to it yet.;)
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/welcome-to-the-new-beeradvocate-community.2/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/archiving-the-old-threads-from-the-old-forums.11470/

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Yay!!! I soon "hopefully" will get my little karma mug back!!!! I was close to the frothy mug yay!!! <-Best crank yankers voice.

Cheers!

17. Agold

18. One great thing through all of this...the servers. SO MUCH FASTER

Eriktheipaman, Todd and marcobrau like this.
  19. Todd

Quick update. I found a home for all of the old user profile stats and whatnot; number of beers/places reviews, sub stats, attending events, etc. I've basically discovered some hooks that'll allow me to add custom tabs to the new profile pages. Stoked about this, and hopefully it'll work out.

JeepCop, jamvt, drabmuh and 4 others like this.
  20. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Cool! Any idea when it might be on-line? Not trying to sound impatient, I simply have no idea how long these things take.

21. Todd

I'm aiming for the end of this month now to have the initial integration live. I'd be done by now, but we have a lot of other things on our plate.

22. fmccormi

Sounds good, and totally understandable. Keep up the good work!

And I'll do my part by continuing to drink.

korguy123, draheim and FosterJM like this.
  23. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Is the adjective HEAVILY in this? Just saying!

Cheers!

24. fmccormi

Ohh, I'm not that conscientious of a beer-citizen :)

(though I do at times have fits of civic duty)

25. Excellent news, keep up the good work!

26. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

YOU CAN DO IT TODD!!! BELIEVE!!!

27. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

That's awesome. I loved all those little stats.

Dope

28. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Serious question...can't you hire another coder to work with you to make it quicker and less of a burden on you? I'd think you'd love some help, is it not feasible? Usually when a company's problem is not enough people to work on a certain thing, they hire more people to help, just saying;)

29. Todd

I know, right?! Sounds easy peasy. Like a snap of the fingers. Done! And we could, if we consistently had thousands of dollars just sitting around doing nothing each and every month in order to cover things like: salary, healthcare and misc employee expenses. Just saying. ;)

We do plan on hiring this year though. We just hit bad timing, as none of this web work was planned.

30. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

It is easy peasy since there's so many coders looking for work right now. I get it though, so its not feasible right now...that sucks, I feel bad for you with all the shit you're having to do by yourself. Some coders love doing it though and that's also what they do with their free time so maybe if you ask around, someone on BA that's a coder is willing to help for free? Just a thought.

31. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (195) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

Any idea when the Wants and gots links on the beer profile pages will be back up?

32. My OCD is freaking out but it'll all be worth it once it's up and running. Thanks and looking forward to it!

Rutager likes this.
  33. fmccormi

34. The end of the month is past so it would be helpful to get an update on the timetable. Thanks.

35. Todd

Indeed it has. I'm still working on it. Having issues integrating a working navigation; integration with external pages it's really supported. No exact ETA at this time, but I'm working on it daily and will post more when I have more to post.

kevanb and Rutager like this.
  36. drabmuh

are we going to be able to "Like" reviews on the integrated site?

37. Todd

38. drabmuh

39. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

As with the post from drabmuh, I'm not sure if this has been previously discussed or answered.

I've read over most of the posts regarding the status and integration of new and old BA community, and my understanding was that at some point Karma points would be reinstated, as would the "award levels" that go with the points. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, so I was wondering if there had been any change in plans in that regard.

Also, one of the biggest laments I've heard from other BA's has to do with the ability to take a look at another member's reviews. On the old site it was easy, as you could just check someone's profile, where there was a link to the beers and places they had reviewed. To the best of my knowledge, there is still nothing comparable on the new site. Is this going to be something we will be able to do on the new site at some point?

Thanks!

ZAP and barleywinefiend like this.
  40. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Click on your Your: Beers tab from the main site, you'll get this as the URL: http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=DSlim71 <-------your name will be here

Erase your name, and either type or copy and paste in the other person's name you want to look at http://beeradvocate.com/user/beers?ba=johnmichaelson

Not a permanent solution, but at least it's at least a work around for now.

BRurev63 likes this.