1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sixpoint Bengali Tiger - recipe change? bad batch?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beercub, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Lion = Kiss of Death. / thread.

2. I would encourage you to ‘cut and paste’ your post and send it to Sixpoint (e.g., [email protected]).

Nobody is thrilled to hear criticism but I think it would be ‘worse’ if Sixpoint did not hear what you have to state on this topic. It seems to me that Sixpoint is still ‘suffering’ from beer production issues. It would be best for Sixpoint to know about this now so they can ‘fix’ things now.

As I stated previously: “If Sixpoint continues to brew ‘subpar’ beers, beer consumers like you and me will stop purchasing their beers. The Sixpoint beers that were brewed in Brooklyn were quality beers. Sixpoint needs to get ‘back on track’. Honest, constructive feedback will help the brewery. At least that is the way I see it.”

Cheers!

3. “Lion = Kiss of Death.” I truly ‘hear’ what you are saying here.

I would prefer to think that Sixpoint can ‘fix’ things at the Lion Brewery. If for some reason that is not possible, then I would like to think that Sixpoint will ‘re-think’ their business decision to utilize the Lion Brewery and hopefully brew their beers elsewhere.

I personally think it would be a loss if Sixpoint ‘dies’.

Cheers!

4. Done. Just sent it and referenced this entire thread. I am hopeful that over time they can repair this problem.

Somehow I'll need to be reassured before some 4packs make their way into my cart.

5. I had a very tasty can of Bengali at a bar a few weeks ago. I love this beer on draft more but that can was still very good. Unfortunately now that many places carry bengali cans I guess people see no need to have it on draft too.

I did order a Harbinger the other night. Can't wait to see it in cans if it tastes consistent.

6. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I picked up some Sehr Crisp for the first time in a while this weekend and it didn't conform to my memories of it at all in regard to flavor and crispness. Seemed closer to a Sweet Action than before.

Still good drinking, though.

7. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I'm still pretty disappointed that Harbinger didn't make it to cans this year. Reviews for Apollo are looking good, no question there, but I was just psyched to have a readily-available, relatively inexpensive, packaged saison.

8. I thought I had seen a label approval for Harbinger. Did Apollo take it's place?

9. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

This doesn't answer your question, but speaking of Apollo, didn't it use to be a hoppy wheat beer not a German wheat beer? Maybe I am wrong, but it is strange they would keep the same name for a very different beer.

10. fmccormi

Yeah :-(

Believe me, I've exchanged many e-mails with my regional Sixpoint rep (who is a real swell guy, BeerTruth here on BA) regarding Harbinger and its canlessness. I think they're still planning on canning it sometime in the future, but not this year. And you are not wrong, re: the Harbinger can label, it was approved and all that. Still not really sure why they didn't can it this year, though.

And you may be thinking of their Spice of Life series, in which they have one brewed with only Apollo hops. That's hoppy as shit, but not a wheat beer, per se.

11. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Check out the reviews. It was a happy wheat beer before they started canning.

12. fmccormi

Haha I'm assuming you meant "hoppy" . . . but yeah, I see what you mean. I dunno, they must be really attached to some names. Looking forward to trying Apollo, regardless.

13. Sixpoint is "dead to me".

Their beers used to be awesome and now are bland and boring.

More importantly for me, they, for some reason, have expanded like gangbusters all through the midwest and midatlantic, and still do not distribute to connecticut. CT is what, 30 miles from Brooklyn? Maybe less? I consider this a personal affront and a slap to the face.

I don't want their beer anyway (sour grapes!)

14. I emailed sixpoint months ago saying i was unhappy with the bengali tiger and that it was probably due to the cans being past the best buy date(when the best buy date only use to be on the cans, not on the outside cases so i couldent of known before purchase) and stored warm. But the response i got was different than the response you got, they told me that stores keeping the beers at room temp is perfectly fine and that storing them in the fridge isnt needed

15. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Drinking a Crisp now and it states it was brewed in Brooklyn,enjoying both the Crisp and Sweet Action but as previously stated they are close in taste.

16. Are you sure about that? The Sixpoint cans say "Brewed and canned by Sixpoint Brewery, Brooklyn, NY" not "in". They take advantage of a loophole in the TTB labeling requirements and choose to not state the actual brewing site on their labels.

Sixpoint representatives have admitted numerous times here on the BA forums and elsewhere that any of their beers that are both canned and kegged come out of Wilkes-Barre, PA., under their alternating proprietorship deal at The Lion.

17. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I stand corrected,thanks- I never mind being shown the way

18. The Bros may want to revisit as they have a 99 rating on this. Below is a thread of 2 reviews I posted 1 1/2 years ago. This stuff has been sliding for some time IMO.

Update:What happened. A month ago I am in love with this after buying a .16 and having some friends over to enjoy. The other night I am in W-Burg @ Mugs and I have a pint followed by an Ithaca Flower Power.
    The Tiger changed color from an awesome orange to a pretty standard IPA copper gold. What was worse was the things that got me excited about this beer were gone (pine citrus) in balance unlike Flower Power which you know is gonna have heavy focus on those flavors.
    So I am guessing my .16 came from Brooklyn and the tap at Mugs came from their outsourcing brewer in PA.
    What a shame.

(Original Post) 5 Gal Log. Amazing color and balance. Love the pine and citrus peal, great head.
    I am happy to say I have found a beer that stands up to Two Hearted Ale, Masala Mama, Captain Lawrence DIPA, Surly Furious and Pliny The Elder(almost).
    Most important to me is it is brewed in my area.

Serving type: on-tap

Reviewed on: 11-01-2010 19:26:14