1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sixpoint Hi-Res

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BeerTwigs, Jan 14, 2014.

1. BeerTwigs

BeerTwigs Savant (295) New York Jan 8, 2009

Geuzedad and brother_kenneth like this.
  2. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Cool.. what style is it? I'm assuming it's a DIPA based on the IBU..

3. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Sounds interesting

4. jwat

jwat Savant (430) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

Based on the name, I'm guessing imperial Resin

5. I love resin so if this is an even beefier resin, im in.

peachwave and fugazidps like this.
  6. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Definitely on my radar. Probably not going to be cheap.

7. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (760) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

is it out now? anyone seen it at the store yet? That being said im in too.

8. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (310) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

Global Warmer made me upset.

Don't call your beer a 'Warmer' and have it be super refreshing with a nice hop profile!

9. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

I'm ready.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  10. Sixpoint always seems to go out of their way not to tell you the style. I find it annoying. I like a lot of their beers though so I deal.

11. I though Resin was already a double IPA?

12. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

sixpoint tweeted last week that to start looking for it at the end of this week.

13. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

sixpoint tweeted last week that to start looking for it at the end of this week.

14. Mersh

Mersh Advocate (610) Connecticut Mar 10, 2013

All in.

16. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (265) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

Resin is one of the most balance 9.1 ABV beers I have ever had. Its clean shrap taste makes you pop another. This 11 percent Hi Resin has got to be a tasty big brother to this one. Six Point is in my top 5 Breweries for 2013.

KolbMarley, Ysgard, Sixpoint and 2 others like this.
  17. They're obviously jumping on the "triple IPA" bandwagon while simultaneously claiming that they don't brew according to style guidelines. Either way, I definitely wanna try this. Resin is so insanely bitter, I'm curious to see how it would translate when going to the next level.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  18. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

As I said in my review, the key to enjoying Global Warmer was to get any winter associations out of your head. Just a delicious IPA/Hoppy Red.

Mersh, jcos, BeerTwigs and 1 other person like this.
  19. How so?

20. It's lighter in color like Hop Ranch....hmmm

21. It might actually not be a TrIPA. It might be a Double IPA Cubed. Sixpoint is taking it to a new ridiculously mathematical level.

Zach136, jdaddy, DemoniChris and 10 others like this.
  22. Hopefully this will be nothing like resin, possibly using some of the newer varieties of hops. Love resin though, gonna be hard to beat. I'd love to see sixpoint can an imperial stout next!

23. Agreed about using different hops for it. I enjoy Resin, for a seasonal Hi-Res better surpass Resin. I doubt Sixpoint will do an Imperial Stout. All I got to say is, Prove me Wrong Sixpoint. Prove me wrong.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  24. Roguer

Roguer Champion (985) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

Resin is fantastic. It's also 103 IBU (if I remember from the can correctly, earlier today), so calling this an "Imperial Resin" is like calling something an Imperial Imperial IPA. Perhaps it is a stronger version, but I have a feeling it's more likely going to focus on a different hop profile. 111 vs 103 isn't some magical leap.

I would love another good DIPA from Sixpoint, so I look forward to this. And yes, the lack of style annotations on their cans annoys me, but it absolutely does not stop me from purchasing and enjoying the hell out of their brews! :D

CJRubes and DrStiffington like this.
  25. Dat glass...

BlastBeats, madtrixter787 and Squidly like this.
  26. BeerTwigs

Agreed. I enjoyed Global Warmer without any preconception about it.

beerdedking, spitshaded and jcos like this.
  27. BeerTwigs

28. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (455) Florida Apr 3, 2013

I was about to say the same thing. So is this going to be considered a "triple IPA?" Not a big fan of the term "triple IPA"...

29. Lion is a high gravity brewery,so is this just simply Resin before it is watered down/blended or a different recipe altogether?

cestlavie likes this.
  30. Hmmm, really enjoy Resin and how balanced the abv/flavor is, not sure if a higher abv Resin could be as balanced but I'll still def give it a shot.

31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

SixPoint makes some really good beers just check the dates.

32. Why are people in this thread mentioning Triple IPA? I am curious because I haven't found Sixpoint Brewery using that term, nor is it mentioned anywhere on their site.

jhartley likes this.
  33. As others have pointed out, Sixpoint doesn't like to be cornered into particular styles with their beers. However on paper, this sounds like a beer that any other brewery would call a Triple IPA.

34. Right, I guess I just find it odd that a brewery who makes it a point to not call it a specific style has people in this thread calling it a made up style from other breweries. One user even claims sixpoint is "jumping on the triple ipa bandwagon" and i've not yet understand just exactly how they are doing so.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and tastes like a duck, its a duck.
    Just like this looks like an imperial ipa, probably tastes like an iipa and smells like an iipa, so if anything, why aren't people just calling it an imperial ipa?

Rekrule likes this.
  35. CSpoons

CSpoons Aficionado (245) Delaware Nov 13, 2012

Definitely excited for this.

36. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Pete27lax and jhartley like this.
  37. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

It's a ramped up version of Resin (which is, of course, their double IPA.) So naturally everyone is calling it a triple IPA, since that term has gained popularity recently. Personally, I hate the term "triple IPA" and think the ones I have tried have not been very good at all.

38. If only those were Born On dates instead of Best By dates...

dedbeer, papat444, 1Sundown2C and 3 others like this.
  39. Darel

Darel Disciple (65) Pennsylvania Feb 15, 2009

Lion only brews its' "fizzy yellow" high gravity. Everything else is brewed to strength, whether its their own or a contract.

ClockworkOrange likes this.