1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sixpoint Launches 3Beans Coffee & Chocolate Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Release from Sixpoint Brewery Inspired by Baltic Porter Heritage

(January 17, 2012 - Brooklyn, NY) Celtic lore spoke of a land where the beer fell in showers and the music of the gods could be heard. Brewed from beans and barley, this ale was so dark, rich and satisfying that no gathering ever went unthankful. Prepared in cauldrons and consumed from horns, this was truly the drink of the gods.

Centuries later, a towering, all-sating dark ale has been resurrected at Sixpoint. With a silken mouth-feel despite a hefty 10% ABV, 3Beans is the result of myth, tradition and innovation. The collaboration of three New York City companies sincerely committed to their craft brings to you the biggest beer Sixpoint has ever canned.

The first bean sprouts from tradition. Romano beans are included in the mash, their proteins giving extra body to an already rich ale. Northern brewers of yore, short on malting barley due to finite harvest times, have used the hearty beans to supplement their ales for centuries.

Cocoa beans from Mast Brothers Chocolate, the first bean-to-bar chocolate makers in New York City, are the second of the triumvirate. Mast Brothers makes only super dark chocolate with no milk or butter that displays their beans’ uninhibited flavors. Using a specially-made, small-scale cocoa bean winnower, they separate the fatty nib from the outer husk. While these husks are not used in their bars, they are packed with dark chocolate flavors. In the 3Beans mash, loads of the shells are included along with the beans and barley malt, accentuating them with savory chocolate flavors.

The final bean comes from Stumptown Coffee, a company equally committed to showcasing their product’s natural character. Post-fermentation, the beer is blended with Stumptown cold-brewed coffee, a specifically calibrated concoction perfectly intense for the process. The infusion heightens the brew with rich, roasted coffee flavors and presents another layer of complexity.

Finally, 3Beans is aged on toasted American oak which provides woody vanilla notes and further enriches the body. Ancient brewing techniques in concert with innovative methods and the finest products have produced a brew that triangulates the spirit of the Sixpoint Motto: Beer is Culture.

At 10% ABV, 3Beans is a formidable yet velvety beer with an IBU of 85 and a dark-hued presentation of 31 SRM. 3Beans will be available on draft and in 12-ounce cans throughout Sixpoint’s distribution network.

About Sixpoint Brewery
    Sixpoint was born out of an 800-square-foot garage in Brooklyn, New York City, in 2004. The brewery’s name is derived from the ancient six-pointed brewers’ star, which had symbolically adorned the walls and equipment of ancient breweries since at least the Medieval period.

Sixpoint’s motto is “Beer is Culture” to highlight the human trajectory — the earliest human civilizations were founded upon the cultivation of cereal grains for making beer. Sixpoint aims to perpetually inspire the art, creativity and community generated through beer by acknowledging the history of the craft while forging ahead to inspire culture in a modern setting.

http://sixpoint.com

http://3beans.sixpoint.com

###
    BeerLover99 likes this.
  2. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

"3Beans will be available on draft and in 12-ounce cans throughout Sixpoint’s distribution network."

Nice!
    Providence likes this.
  3. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

This sounds amazingly tasty. And in 12oz offerings no less.

Want.
    Providence likes this.
  4. Fingers crossed it hits the shelves quickly. I leave for New York today and left plenty of suitcase room for sixpoint
  5. I had this last night. There's some tremendous flavor in this beer. Really delicious. I always wanted to see how mast bros chocolate would work in a beer.
  6. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Had this one a few days ago. I made the mistake of drinking one of these at 11 PM the other night. What a foolish move, I had the hardest time getting to sleep after that. Maybe its the RedBullish sized can, but boy can you feel the caffeine in that bad boy. Solid beer
    jglowe77 likes this.
  7. Grabbed a pack before heading to the airport. I'm going to be thirsty by time this flight is done
  8. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Man...his sounds fantastic...I really hope I can find some.
  9. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

At the brewery or a store?
  10. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Can't wait to try this one! Still, I wish they'd finish dialing in on Harbinger and can the damn thing.
  11. Found it at the mini bottle shop in Grand Central Station when I was heading to the Laquardia shuttle. It was the last 4 he had. (But it you go there today they may still have a bottle of Big John, Night Stalker, and BCBS Cherry Rye that I regretfully passed on in fear it would break in my luggage)

The guys at Good Beer in East Village said their shipment didn't come last week but will be in this week
  12. I wonder if FL will get this. I've only seen Sixpoint kegs so far.
  13. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

I was wondering the same thing.....seen Sixpoint listed on draft a few places, but never actually had any of their beers myself. This one sounds good!!
  14. You should try them on draft if you get the chance. Really great stuff. Resin especially.
    Squidly and JxExM like this.
  15. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'm told this is coming to my local store next week...can't wait for a taste!
  16. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

This beer blew me away
  17. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

It's good to work in brooklyn.... :p
    njhopspop likes this.
  18. Damn it - I cant wait to try it. We need more baltic porters in general.
  19. There's one on the way to you!!! Just in case
    Braineater2448 likes this.
  20. Ha! I like you already, Paul. ;) Thanks a ton!
  21. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (315) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Can I ask what the pricing was for those of you that found/purchased the 4paks of cans? I'm also very excited to try this, sounds wonderful, thanks for the posts BA's, cheers!
  22. I have had all of their cans since they expanded to KY last spring. They have all been great but sessionable. I want a monster beer.
  23. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Beer Bistro North in Chicago has a tapping tomorrow night here in Chicago.
  24. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

Anyone have any success/experience aging canned beers?

Only other beer I can think of that I'd consider doing so would be Ten Fidy. For those who've had this beer, is it worth buying a 4-pack or two to put away for awhile?
  25. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

In CT it was $13/4pk
  26. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Resin's a pretty big little bastard. Is that available to you?
  27. Forgot about that. But still. the other 7 or so I have tried are around 5-7%
  28. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

What I love about Sixpoint is how they announce a new beer and that shit is on the shelf like a few seconds later.

Just picked up my 4 pack today. A bit pricey, so I hope it's as good as it sounds.
    phooky and JxExM like this.
  29. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

How much did you pay? I saw it at WF for $15, which seems steep.

That said, WF also upped their FBS from $10 to $13 at some point recently, so they evidently seem to be deciding to start pricing like they're in Brooklyn.
  30. I don't know. The finish has got a definite hot booze kick, but this beer is a big coffee bomb, and that's going to fall off with time along with the alcohol burn. My personal opinion is, no. It's freaking delicious as it is. Buy two, and drink both fresh.
  31. Ive had different aged canned beers before. Monks blood is a good one too. I wouldnt age this though unless you didnt want the effect of the coffee. Aging this at all seems pointless actually.
  32. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Just got some today at my local $14.99 a four pack and getting ready to open my first one!
  33. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

The same. I find WF is pretty fair, but not the Bowery shop. I refuse to shop there. I can go around the corner and shop New Beer with considerably lower prices. And its more fun.
  34. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If this makes it to WI, just another thing I'll spend my money on; sounds delicious.
  35. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I guess this hit the Milwaukee area today. Anyone pick some up?
  36. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

12.99 in columbus, oh area
  37. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

$19.79/4 pack at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.
  38. DrWily

DrWily Aficionado (100) Illinois Nov 25, 2012

just got it in this morning in the Chicago NW Burbs 12.99 4pk
  39. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Aficionado (160) New York Jan 12, 2012

Every place I've seen it in NYC it's been $9.99 for the 4pack.
  40. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I guess I got lucky without knowing it when my four pack of 3Beans rang up at $8.99 last week. At the same place where I got a 4-pack of KBS last year for $11.99. Screwy SKUs, bros.

My first can struck me as the most-coffee-forward beer I've ever had. The second a few days later seemed a tad more muted. I'm definitely a fan.