1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sixpoint Launches 3Beans Coffee & Chocolate Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Biermaedchen

Biermaedchen Disciple (70) Texas Jun 8, 2011

I would take'em in a heart beat! love me some sixpoint
  2. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I found temp to be key with this one. Cold = not very good. Room temp = amazing. A very good buy IMO....
  3. Tried it this weekend. Awesome beer. I loved that I could pick out both the chocolate and coffee, neither dominated the other. Excellent brew.
  4. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I got a 4 pack here in north JERSEY...quite good!
    Another DAMN fine offering from Sixpoint.
  5. How does this compare to FBS, if at all?
  6. More intense, but also a little harsh. FBS is smoother. 3Beans strikes me as a little thin.
    ESeab likes this.
  7. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

Got to try this at work today and thought it was delicious; it was at room temp/slightly below so maybe as loafinaround said, temperature could make a difference. I'll have to take a can home to refrigerate and see. Overall though, probably one of my favorite Sixpoint offerings aside from Resin.
  8. wanted to buy this but..
    slim cans, again?!
    for shame Shane, for shame
  9. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Many folks whose opinions I tend to trust were raving about this...bought a can...served with the slightest chill...and while I didn't drain pour it...I really didn't enjoy it even a little bit.
    CORKSCREWFISH and CMB2012 like this.
  10. Made the trip from Detroit to Toledo yesterday for some Nugget Nectar and picked up a 4-pack of this at Anderson's for I want to say $8.99. It's very enjoyable..don't know if it is better than FBS, but I like the "incognito" factor of the cans ;)
  11. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

I am on my second 4pack. For a while we had some limited availability, but our salesman told us this week we can order more. To get an example of what I think of 3Beans. On my left is Founders Breakfast Stout, so very enjoyable, love it every time. Now on my extreme right is TenFiddy.. Who can not get enough of those short dark oil cans! 3Beans fits somewhere in between. You get the Coffee and Chocolate. With my first sip, I found my coffee, and the aftertaste was chocolate. But then my second sip it was reversed. Either way, a super stout, or should I say Porter. Even at a higher price for a 4Pack, to me its worth every penny
  12. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

looks like I need to warm a can up... I've had 2 ice cold and it really wasn't anything special. Dark Horse Perkulator was better.
  13. Love this brew! Been thru a couple of 4-packs so far.
  14. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

My first beer I drank nearly fridge-cold, found it to be hoppy and light in body, but didn't get the darker notes coming through, and was frankly underwhelmed. Let my second time trying it warm up a bit, and at a warmer temperature the chocolate notes really start to sing and the balance of the beer comes out. Fell in love on my second can.
  15. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'm not too familiar with Baltic Porters, but I found that mine was surprisingly light and clear (still really dark, but not pitch-black like I was expecting). The body reflected this, but a little creamier. The nose and taste were both unique, judging by my past experiences with various iterations of dark beer. I definitely enjoyed it, and although I didn't know quite what to expect it definitely was not what I was expecting.

My review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/88889/?ba=fmccormi

Anyone else feel that way?