1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Skoal (snuff) used to brew beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mikeyv35, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (365) New York Oct 15, 2008

I was just looking through my beer that I have cellared with a lip of Skoal Straight in as I usually do, and a weird thought came into my head. Has a beer ever been brewed using actual tobacco such as Skoal, Copenhagen, or Red Man? Or has a beer ever been aged in an empty tobacco barrel?

ISO: English Barleywine Aged In Skoal/Copenhagen Barrel

My 2 favorite habits are beer and Skoal Straight some brewer help me out here!
  2. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

When is tobacco aged in barrels? Please provide source.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Ew.

I've seen beer overseas made with marijuana, which is actually a cousin to hops. Heard they were a horrible novelty.

Why not try to homebrew some? :) A tobacco rauchbier >might< be interesting.
  4. It's illegal. For good reason. And no, tobacco is not aged in barrels. It's aged in bales in warehouses.
  5. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

6. mikeyv35

Tobacco on occasions is aged in whiskey barrels and other various barrels to impart certain flavors. I have personally had tobacco aged in whiskey barrels and not the cheap Copenhagen whiskey flavored version. What I had was aged in a whiskey barrel w/ some remaining whiskey in the barrel.
    drtth likes this.
  7. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

8. mikeyv35

Thanks for the literature guys! I had loose leaf tobacco or side chew (like Red Man) in college when I was playing ball that was aged in a whiskey barrel. The shit was awesome! The tobacco honestly had all the nicotine you needed for your fix and at the same time was pretty intoxicating w/ strong whiskey flavors. My buddy special ordered the tobacco.
  9. mikeyv35

Why would it be illegal to brew a beer utilizing tobacco or empty tobacco barrels? Tobacco is legal in the US and you have to be 21 to buy beer which also covers tobacco.
    Skoallrebel likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I think you would need to be careful about the nicotine in the beer. I am no expert, but I believe you could actually poison the beer with nicotine if you tried this. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can weigh in. Better to stick to the brewing techniques and malts that give beers the tobacco taste some, like Adam, get, and which are delicious.
  11. mikeyv35

Dave, this might be a new idea for you! Plus, it would give me a good reason to drive out to you, drink some good brew, and learn a thing or two about home brewing from a vet.
    cavedave likes this.
  12. mikeyv35

How about if you just brewed a beer and simply aged it in an empty whiskey barrel that also housed tobacco?
  13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I'll try anything once. You might be the only one willing to drink it with me though haha
  14. mikeyv35

I will start to check around for empty barrels of this kind, probably going to be tough to find.
    cavedave likes this.
  15. mikeyv35

You brew the beer and I will be the guinea pig. An English barley wine that already had mild tobacco notes would probably go good into a whiskey/tobacco barrel IMO. Also, maybe an Alt Bier :).
    cavedave likes this.
  16. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Soaking tobacco in water will create a rather toxic and effective pesticide. People will argue that you can use a small amount in a beer to get flavor but personally I would avoid the potentially deadly concoction.

Short's brewed a beer with Lasang Su Chong, a smoked tea, which was said to taste like an ash tray. Maybe that is a better options.
  17. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    Squidly likes this.
  18. mikeyv35

I mean I don't have the brewing knowledge that you or Dave has, but my thought was not to use actual tobacco that would be floating in water, but to just age a beer in a barrel that housed both whiskey and tobacco. I would think this would allow tobacco notes to be picked up along w/ whiskey w/o making a deadly pesticide as you spoke of.
  19. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.