Slate article on Nanobrewing

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by tolar111, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

2. Great article. It makes me want to go out and start up a nanobrewery of my own. Of course, I'd probably have to get some basic homebrewing under my belt first...

This article also made me love Sam Calagione and Dogfish Head that much more. I'm sure other big brewers do stuff like this, too, but everything I've ever heard about this man just puts him in such a fantastic light that I can't help but love them.

Ford and tolar111 like this.
  3. Quite interesting. I know a couple of homebrewers who should take this step.

4. Nanobrewing is interesting, although it has to be a tough game. I mean your ingredients are going to be more expensive than even a traditional micro brewer (since you are buying smaller quantities) and since brewing takes the relatively the same amount of time your labour costs are probably around the same. So your costs per pint are probably higher. Yet to be competitive you probably have to sell your product for at least in the same ball park as other micros. Plus at least looking at the one that just opened up in my city, instead of opening in some industrial park in the middle of nowhere, they found what is basically a retail location and opened there to get a bunch of walk in traffic, so there rent would probably be higher. Plus with a very small amount of space you have to be super efficient as to what is being used both for storage, and for tank space (you can't let the tanks sit too long either empty or full of stuff that hasn't sold). I have total respect for the ones who can make it work since it seems like being small would have all kinds of additional challenges.

5. randal

randal Savant (315) Texas Apr 21, 2004

There is a great thread here about one man's experiences with Nanobrewing. The most interesting point he makes is that if you cannot sell retail then you will never make it. A nanobrewery may pay for itself but would never be able to fund its own expansion to microbrewery level.

I guess that explains why I haven't heard much about them in Texas because as of now, a production brewery cannot sell to the ultimate consumer.

6. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I'm heading out to clean up my garage.. then I'm off to buy five Mr. Beer kits... success here I come!

jglowe77 and redblacks75 like this.
  7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I exclusively drink nano brews, micro beer has had it. Hopefully these micro beer giants can keep their mitts off of my nano brews.

8. Ford

I'm going to start drinking only nanobrews out of tiny pint glasses

jglowe77 likes this.
  9. Sounds like a ticker.

10. Ford

Yes, but only on my tiny pocket phone or my ipod nano if I can somehow put an app on it.

11. einhorn

einhorn Savant (405) California Nov 3, 2005

Here's the "catch"

"Now he is working on getting financing to fund an expansion that will cost around $450,000"

The beer industry is considered "high risk" by any money-lending institute, which leaves the family, friends and angel-investor route. A hard & bumpy road, by any standard.

12. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Did anyone listen to the companion story from Marketplace? For the owner, he still has to keep his day job. Waking up at 4:30am, working on brewery stuff, hopping in the shower then going to work. Then his nights and weekends are spent brewing and delivering beer.

13. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

According to the Hess Brewing website, Lawson's, Maine Beer Co., and White Birch are nanos. Two of those I like alot.

14. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

Great article

15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Yeah, Lawson's....MMMMmmmmm! I really like.

16. Great article on the realities of starting a nano. Hopefully future regulations will allow for more direct-to-consumer sales so more nanos can grow organically.

Gets me excited to fire up my next homebrew!

17. McDonald

McDonald Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Oct 3, 2007

Funny, I am living this right now. Kicked our first two kegs on night one, and folks need more. You can do it!

18. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I know you were joking and all, but if the garage is attached, the TTB wont give you a brewers license.

19. Ford

Well, I didn't know that so thanks.. as I like learning new things! I am not going to start a brewery though... sadly.