1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Slaying your first personal whale

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by kevanb, Jan 12, 2013.

1. azaaron

azaaron Aficionado (120) Arizona Mar 11, 2010

Mine was a 2009 Dark Lord that I got at Dark Lord Day. Now I am working on building enough of a cellar to slay my new whale...Blaeber

aasher likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Mine was CBS, I honestly thought I would never have a chance to try it given the lack of trade ammo I have, then a friend surprised everyone at a small tasting by opening his bottle.

Delicious beer but it didn't quite live up to its crazy reputation.

UNCCTDawg, MSEGUIN and richardflyr like this.
  3. 2008 C&C Lafolie, beer has never been the same.

aasher likes this.
  4. gyinfo

gyinfo Aspirant (40) Dec 13, 2012

CFH'12 - personally i prefer this over RARE.

5. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Bramble Rye.

Traded many things for it. But I has.

Looking to acquire a Vanilla and Rare before May to do a full Bourbon County tasting with 4-5 friends after I graduate from college. My gift to them for putting up with my shit for the past 3-4 years worth of flaking on them to study. :D I have an '11 BCBS, '12 BCBS, Bramble, Coffee '12, and recently acquired a Cherry Rye. Just gotta find a way to get the last two.

6. My first whale was Westy 12 so I made my first ever trade for one back in '10 (involving some Cascade stuff I'd ordered online), and the guy sent me bottle that was a few years old. It was absolutely sublime, and I honestly haven't had a bottle of Westy since that lived up to that first bottle. Age does that beer some serious good!

Shortly thereafter I became obsessed with acquiring a Blabaer and managed to put together an international trade with a guy in Sweden for a bottle of the 2010. To this day, it's the only international trade I've done, and it was like my 5th or 6th trade ever. I opened it at a tasting celebrating my graduation from law school.

7. Mine was back in 1997, I was in college. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was at my favorite local beer bar. I sat down at the bar and looked over the beer list, nothing new. I ordered a Ayinger draft to get started. Then, down at the corner of the bar, something caught my eye. At first I thought it was a wildebeast, or possibly a manatee. Then I realized it was a female. I lured her over with a trail of cheesesticks that lead to a plate of hotwings in front of the empty seat next to me. Later after I kicked her out of my dorm and my room mate was making fun of me I realized, I had just slayed my first personal whale.

Ah college...

8. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

CBS for me. Glad to have received a bottle recently. Planning to drink it in the next month or so.

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

been fortunate enough to have slayed personal whale after personal whale after personal whale (most recently knocking off both sam adam's millenium and cable car kreik in the same day - along with many other beers i never realistically thought i'd get to try - dave, m, and a host of cantillon one offs).

my first big one was BA Ten Fidy. i remember creating a thread on how frustrated i was when i would look at wants lists filled with whales and other beers no one would ever get...so i removed the BA Ten Fidy from my wants in the purging of whales...and then it happened. i BM/conversed with someone in a thread about the beer who claimed to have had it and asked what it would take. it wasn't up for trade, but then a few months later, the guy in the thread wrote me that he was thinking about trading it for a nice array of his favorite beers ($4$ - granted his favorite beers were not beers that were easily found at the time). i was extremely fortunate enough to be able to hit his request (i think i leaned on one or two local friends for some help that i payed back) and then opened it when my college roommate came to town for the first time in a few years. we ripped through that and about 5 or 6 of my other best bottles with a few other people. it was legendary to me at the time and untoppable. but since then, life has gotten crazier in the beer world. what i've learned, is never say never....

next up...pliny the younger. this is the glaring miss in my beer-history.

10. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Westy 12. went down to look at it once a week for a year. Drank it on my anniversary.
    CHEERS BA!

jglowe77 likes this.
  11. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

For me, it was Damon. I tried to acquire one like crazy last year, and when I finally did...it arrived shattered in the box! Thankfully, I ultimately got to try one later down the road, and that "botched trade" turned into a fruitful, long-term trading relationship.

12. jegross2

Yeah, that was another big one for me too that I also gave up on...but then it hit the tipsy cow the night before GTOM...and then was all over chicago when OB started distributing here...and then again at FOBAB...it went from elusive to plentiful like that

Glad to have been able to tick this one, but did not think it was much better than the base beer at all.

13. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I missed BA Ten Fidy while I was sipping Raspberry Wild One at FoBAB. Glad to know I didn't miss much.

jegross2 likes this.
  14. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

The very first one for me was a bottle of 2009 Darkness. It would be dishonest to say that the awesome mummy bottle art didn't play a role in my desire to get that one. All things considered, the contents inside the bottle left me somewhat underwhelmed, but the chase was still a whole lot of fun.

More recently, I've been incredibly lucky in being able to acquire personal whales such as Grey Monday, Chocolate Rain, King Henry, Leon, and Cognac Church on a Hill. The hunt is an incredibly fun part of this hobby.

15. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. I was sure I would never build the ammo to trade for it. I am still pretty sure that is still the case. Last June at the Firestone Walker Beerfest. Firestone started to list the beers being poured a day or two before the event. When I saw that the BA Vanilla Dark Lord was going to be there I assumed it would be a single 5 gallon keg. I got in line way early because there was no way I was missing my one shot at it. After the stampede I was the 4th or 5th person to get a pour and it was glorious.

16. my first "whale" (though it was long before anyone gave two shits about that) was 97 triple bock, these days i get to take good beer for granted like the rest of you.

and damn did typing that make me feel old...

17. Randomly found Coffee BCBS on a shelf in a new liquor store I hadn't been to before, and that was probably the first whale (of the light variety, I suppose) I ever found. Was sort of an addicting feeling...

18. KBS - found it at a bar in Brooklyn, which later had an event with KBS and CBS!

19. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i think my first whale was BCBS back in 2011 when it was still hard to get. paid waaaaaaay too much for a four pack. i regret nothing.

fou foune was the next one. in the span of a month i got to have it on tap and then bought a bunch of bottles from the brewery.

i think my personal whale now is CBS, though i'm willing to wait to have it either on tap or from a fresh bottle rather than trying to trade for it now.

20. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

My first one was TREAT. Having told a buddy of mine that I really wanted to try it he sent it to me as an extra (celticfutblclub is a great dude!)

My next one was AftW. Huge thanks to Bduble for sendin this one to me! GOnna be drinkin that sometime in the near future

21. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

I've been insanely lucky, and the recipient of incredible BA generosity, and was able to slay all 3 of my original person white whales...

First up was Damon. I traded for this one, and it did not disappoint. Next was Mimosa, which I also traded for, and exceeded my expectations. Finally, islandboi8204 randomly and generously sent me my number one personal white whale, Duck Duck Gooze, which absolutely crushed my expectations.

I've been lucky, and I can't wait to repay the generosity I've received!

22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Like a few have mentioned, Dark Lord (any vintage).
    Actually slayed it at a golf tournament/outing I was running. One of the guys showed up with a bottle of DL '12 and KBS and gave them too me. I said that he was way too kind and he said "fine, lets drink it together".
    There we were, 7am on a foggy first tee passing the DL back and forth and letting a few others in on some tastes. Great experience. :)

Also just hauled in another whale (for me). BB4D by Kuhnhenn.
    Picked up at brewery and was even given a taste without asking from one of the guys bottling them. Said he had a short fill. Sweet!

23. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Dark Lord. Huge fail for me.

24. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

family gonna family

pschul4 and ehammond1 like this.
  25. It started with Westy 12, then Dark Lord, then Blåbær and after that it was going after all the rare sours.

Still working on that..

26. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Mine was actually this weekend. We had a friend from the KC beer community over for a small tasting. He said he was going to bring a Cascade sour and a barleywine. I remembered him talking at one point about his personal stash of King Henrys, but I didn't think I'd ever see one. Sure enough, on Saturday that's what he brought! I was more than a little excited, and it was a very generous move on his part. Even better, it was one of those beers that more than lives up to the hype. So delicious! Now perhaps I'll set my sights on Rare... ;).

27. dspencer714

dspencer714 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012

Parabola. My friends kept telling how good the beer was, especially since i favor stouts over other beer types. During a tasting, another one of my friends opened a bottle. It was a compete surprise, and so very good.
    [​IMG]

28. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

Was this Patrick?

As for my personal white whale, I'm going to echo a lot of other posts and list Black Tuesday. I received it blindly via Secret Santa from Tanger. I sent him some great beers the first year, and he asked for me the second year, and frickin' killed it with the box he sent me. And then, to top it off, he included a Black Tuesday from the first batch, I believe. We shared it at a tasting, and everyone there climbed on the hype train after that evening. I haven't seen him around much, but if he does happen to see this or one of his friends sees this, be sure to tell him again, Chase says thanks!

29. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

My very 1st trade on BeerAdvocate was a BA Alpha Klaus+BA Behemoth for a CBS+2011 50/50 Elijah Craig 12yr....pretty beefy trade for my 1st trade.

30. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

My first whale was 2008 BCBS, it was a damn tasty brew
    [​IMG]

VonZipper likes this.
  31. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Nope, not Patrick! Though there is a Pat who is pretty heavily involved in the KC beer scene.

32. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

And I was just in Morgantown for Christmas break lol. Yea WV might be the worst state to live in if your a beer trader. At least your not far from PA. Where in Morgantown do you live? I got a couple buddies that live in the sunny side area and others that are scattered around. I lived in the towers when i went to WVU my freshman year.

33. Mine was also CBS, I got into craft beer when CBS had just came out, and when I joined BA, CBS was all the rage. I thought it was fantastic though. Probably my favorite beer that year....

34. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Not sure yet. I'm still in temporary housing, as I try to locate a permanent place to live.

So far, I've made the drive up to Pittsburgh several times, and even Marietta Ohio once (for a hopslam fix). Also, the Apothecary cafe is fairly decent (decent bottle selection and 12 craft/import options on tap). Not an ideal living situation (from a beer standpoint), but it's tolerable.

35. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

true that. at least you will be near D.P. Dough :D and other amazing food joints. but mostly D.P. Dough

36. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

Good to know there's more than one KH hoarder in KC... ;)

shebby likes this.
  37. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

wasn't that a different barrel? i'm talking about the original from 09(?) in whiskey.

38. jegross2

Jim beam and wild turkey versions made this time IIRC. No clue which of ba versions I have had