1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Slightly overpitching a bock

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hopsandmalt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (310) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I'm brewing ten gallons of bock tomorrow and I have a yeast cake from five gallons of dunkel that I'm planning on pitching. Yeast calc tells me that I'll need 981 billion cells for the bock and it also tells me that the dunkel cake will have 1290 billion cells.

Any problems with just pitching the entire yeast cake? Is 309 billion yeast cells really that much of an overpitch for 10 gallons of 1.071 bock lager?
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I suspect it would be fine. People have overpitched a lot worse than that without problems.
  3. Make a dopplebock :p
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

You will be fine. I over pitch and under pitch all the time. I have not tasted any off flavors either way.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I'd rather overpitch a lager than underpitch a lager.
  6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Over/under pitching in homebrewing should always be considered, but I also think they are both overstated. With that said, I have found it is very hard to over pitch at our level.
  7. fork

fork Zealot (80) Illinois Feb 4, 2008

That calculation is just an estimate. Over pitching by 25% or so is fine, probably even desireable. i wouldn't worry about too much yeast unless its like 5x.​
  8. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (310) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I hugely overshot my gravity (1.092 instead of 1.071 I guess I should watch my kids more closely when I let them help weigh the grain!o_O) and it did end up being a doppelbock so I guess it's a good thing that I had a little extra yeast to pitch.

The beer is blowing off right now at 47F less that 24 hours after pitching so I'm guessing that all is good.
    kneary13 and Naugled like this.
  9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Jamil said on one of his podcasts that he doesn't think it is possible for homebrewers to overpitch on lagers. I am sure it is, but you would probably have to go way over.